There's something missing here

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

There's something missing here

Post by HooFighter »

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems a little off here.

Any ideas what it is?

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
RiverguyVT

Re: There's something missing here

Post by RiverguyVT »

Proper disclosure on Hillary!->'s form?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

That Gary Johnson and Donald Trump are smarter than the others :?:

My reaction is good :!: A person's tax return is nobody's damn business. It's between the IRS and the filer.

I don't care about the party affiliation either.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote:That Gary Johnson and Donald Trump are smarter than the others :?:

My reaction is good :!: A person's tax return is nobody's damn business. It's between the IRS and the filer.

I don't care about the party affiliation either.
Yup!

Look! A squirrel!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (249.52 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems a little off here.

Any ideas what it is?
What is the benefit to the public of a candidates tax return?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Where's the list of school records?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

The tax return is nobody's business is a reasonable angle. I just hope it's a consistent one. Is that as relevant as college transcripts? My guess is the Donald definitely has some stuff he'd rather not have to explain on his... Who knows, he probably has some years where he loses money and, therefore, pays zero in taxes, he has also had some years where he's made big money I'm sure. Real estate can definitely be a business that can accumulate a bunch of losses while still accumulating equity and wealth. Maybe he gives a pathetic amount to charity? Who knows? I will say, however, that Marco Rubio should pay some estimated taxes, to stop having to pay penalties to the man!

Jeb makes some coin!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems a little off here.

Any ideas what it is?
Do they practice what they preach? Transparency is beneficial in our taxpayer supported government officials.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
Do they practice what they preach? Transparency is beneficial in our taxpayer supported government officials.
What? Do you mean "do they pay taxes"? That is easy to resolve. Have the IRS produce a letter that the individual has filed their taxes every year and that there are no outstanding amounts due. Simple.

Now, if you mean "do they pay their fair share", as long as they are legit with the tax code then IMO they are, and it's none of my business. But I expect that's what this is really all about, isn't it. Looking for that "gotcha" where someone can pout thru the return and say that this or that is questionable, that they didn't give enough to charity, that their effective rate was too low, etc., etc. Am I right?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
What? Do you mean "do they pay taxes"? That is easy to resolve. Have the IRS produce a letter that the individual has filed their taxes every year and that there are no outstanding amounts due. Simple.

Now, if you mean "do they pay their fair share", as long as they are legit with the tax code then IMO they are, and it's none of my business. But I expect that's what this is really all about, isn't it. Looking for that "gotcha" where someone can pout thru the return and say that this or that is questionable, that they didn't give enough to charity, that their effective rate was too low, etc., etc. Am I right?
Do they say they give to charity or church but really don't? Do they say they have experience owning small businesses but they have no business income, ever? Do they say they pay a ton of taxes but they really don't? Your solution is to grow the government by giving them another form to fill out for the supposed benefit of it's citizens. No thanks, I like the current model, where a politician may elect to disclose or not to disclose with the expectation of potential scrutiny either way.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

You're right. I don't see any tax returns for Ike, JFK, or LBJ.
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

Any ideas what it is?
I never really understood the expectation that candidates release tax returns. Is it solely to see the percentage of income that is donated by the individual?
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
I never really understood the expectation that candidates release tax returns. Is it solely to see the percentage of income that is donated by the individual?
I would think it's to look for any funny business, but then I assume someone like Trump just gets audited every year.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
I would think it's to look for any funny business, but then I assume someone like Trump just gets audited every year.
That makes sense.

Regardless of whether the person has been audited, however, if it can be verified that the individual's tax returns are up to date and accepted by the IRS with no outstanding issues, that should be enough.

I know voters want to know as much as they possibly can about a candidate, but some things are kind of personal...
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
Someone did it once, setting a precedent that is hard to walk back from?

Trump's issue is that he said he would release them, and then decided not to. If he had said from the beginning that he believed in people's personal privacy, blah, blah, blah, he'd be on more solid ground. As it is, he just looks like a liar.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
I don't think anyone would see anything illegal in there. I would presume he does everything within the exact letter of the law on his taxes, paying as little as legally possible. When you have an army of accountants and lawyers you can afford to do that.

My guess is he doesn't want people to see exactly what he does with his money and who he does business with.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Any ideas what it is?

It appears that Johnson has released his returns although I've not been able to find them online.
https://youtu.be/JfX7Wfm0kQE
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Any ideas what it is?

Do they say they give to charity or church but really don't? Do they say they have experience owning small businesses but they have no business income, ever? Do they say they pay a ton of taxes but they really don't? Your solution is to grow the government by giving them another form to fill out for the supposed benefit of it's citizens. No thanks, I like the current model, where a politician may elect to disclose or not to disclose with the expectation of potential scrutiny either way.
Excuse me? Grow the government by giving them another form to fill out? Really -- that's all you've got?
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Hillary Clinton was "flat broke" in 2001 when her AGI was $16 million????

Good grief, we should all be so lucky as to be "flat broke" like that.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?

Trump's issue is that he said he would release them, and then decided not to. If he had said from the beginning that he believed in people's personal privacy, blah, blah, blah, he'd be on more solid ground. As it is, he just looks like a liar.
wrong, he said when the audit was completed by the IRS. If I am him I am only releasing the current years return anyways as he has only been a prez candidate for this year and has not been elected to anything before. And if it is me I am only releasing the first two pages of the 1040, the rest is nobodies business
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Any ideas what it is?

Excuse me? Grow the government by giving them another form to fill out? Really -- that's all you've got?
No, I've made 4 or 5 points, including the extra dig that you wanted to seek help from the government to solve an issue that isn't an issue. It was ironically funny. I'm a true conservative, don't need to look to government for a solution to a problem that the free market can take care of well enough on it's own.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?
I don't think anyone would see anything illegal in there. I would presume he does everything within the exact letter of the law on his taxes, paying as little as legally possible. When you have an army of accountants and lawyers you can afford to do that.

My guess is he doesn't want people to see exactly what he does with his money and who he does business with.
Like the RUSSIANS! That's what all the liberal Facebookers are going after these days, Trumps relationship with the evil Russians!
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Who he does business with would not necessarily show up on a government tax form
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Any ideas what it is?

wrong, he said when the audit was completed by the IRS. If I am him I am only releasing the current years return anyways as he has only been a prez candidate for this year and has not been elected to anything before. And if it is me I am only releasing the first two pages of the 1040, the rest is nobodies business
1) The IRS audit only covers certain years, so there is zero reason to hold all his returns.
2) An IRS audit doesn't preclude him from releasing the tax forms that were submitted. Assuming that he thinks the tax docs he submitted are accurate, that's just an excuse.