Gentlemanly Conservatism is Dead

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Gentlemanly Conservatism is Dead

Post by 133743Hokie »

I think the author is right in that being gentlemanly has just about died. It has certainly proven to be a losing proposition in modern politics. As he says, the repubs never figured out how to transform from a debating club into a militant movement to take the fight to the liberals -- Democrats rule and Republicans govern, and I think he has a good point.

I like the analogy that government is force and government is injustice. No matter Repub or Dem, conservative or liberal, this is true.

================================================================
All I Know Is That Gentlemanly Conservatism is Dead
By Christopher Chantrill

Look, I don’t know if the Republican National Convention was a shambles or a cunning trick. I don’t know if Ted Cruz is a genius or a cad. I don’t know if Trump’s speech was dark and dismal or if it said exactly what the average voter is wanting to hear.

All I know is that the good old gentlemanly conservatism that I have adhered to since my introduction to Hayek and Mises 40 years ago is dead.

Clue One is Jonah Goldberg driving from Cleveland to Maine to join his wife and daughter.

So last night after driving for five or so hours to flee the Cleve, I was pretty tired. I penned a down payment on a downright downbeat G-File. I hadn’t slept much the previous week -- I made my share of mistakes by the lake -- and I was in a foul mood.

Jonah Goldberg is a great guy, and his Liberal Fascism is a magnificent takedown of liberals and everything they stand for. But today he is shivering in a lifeboat watching the conservative Titanic slip beneath the waves.

What went wrong? I’d say that the fatal flaw was that the conservative movement couldn’t transform itself from a debating club into a militant movement to take the fight to the liberals.

Mencius Moldbug had it exactly right. The universities and the media are the Cathedral, the Democratic Party is the Inner Party that gets to rule when in power and the Republican Party is the Outer Party that gets to govern when in office. The Outer Party is never going to take the fight to the Inner Party.

Years ago I picked up from a woman the simple notion that Government is Force: it is not kindly librarians helping people. Since then I’ve proposed that politics is division, because every election attempts to split the electorate, and system is domination, as in every administrative government program. Now, after a looking into the liberal activism culture I’ve decided that politics is violence, for that is what every “peaceful protest” threatens if its non-negotiable demands are not met.

Finally, government is injustice. It must be so, because every government program takes money from people by force and hands it out to the government’s supporters. By “supporters” I don’t just mean community organizers, but people like me: Social Security and Medicare recipients.

Of course, liberals don’t think that their rule of the experts is injustice. Not at all. They listen to NPR and read the New York Times and comfortably know that they are bending the arc of history towards justice. You would think that too if you were a comfortably tenured member of the ruling class.

But government is force, and government is injustice, so any ruling class is likely to provoke unrest and unhappiness among the people. The point of all the checks and balances and separation of powers and bills of rights is to limit the damage the ruling class can do.

So if the ruling class had a lick of sense it would listen to the opposition. It would compromise with the opposition instead of passing ObamaCare without a single Republican vote.

Only it doesn’t. Instead liberals corrupt the election process, they want to cut back the First Amendment, and they force their opponents into silence with their accusations of “hate” and racism, sexism, and homophobia. Sad.

I say that this is a huge strategic mistake. It makes the voters angry. And that is why the voters are looking for a president to smash things up after seven years of a president that thinks politics is all about activism and organizing.

Of course, it’s not just gentlemanly conservatives that have suffered under the liberal yoke. Others have suffered more. The white working class is dying from despair after half a century of liberal injustice. Black Lives Matter aside, African Americans have surely suffered a cultural tsunami from government programs designed to “help” them. The millennial kids are suffering under the college loans that crank up college fees and help hire more diversity administrators, and mom-and-pop savers are getting near-zero interest on their life savings so that the government can keep the deficit down. And how about the Asian quota at the nation’s selective colleges?

All because liberals don’t get that every time you start some wonderful program to bend the arc of history towards justice you stick it in someone’s eye. Because government is force. And very often you hurt the very people you are trying to help. Because force is a very blunt instrument.

Still, it’s a shame that gentlemanly conservatism is finished; it was worthy and noble, as far as it went. As always, liberals will learn to love it once they get to experience the Trump replacement -- right in the solar plexus.

Christopher Chantrill @chrischantrill runs the go-to site on US government finances, usgovernmentspending.com. Also see his American Manifesto and get his Road to the Middle Class.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Gentlemanly Conservatism is Dead

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

133743Hokie wrote:I think the author is right in that being gentlemanly has just about died. It has certainly proven to be a losing proposition in modern politics. As he says, the repubs never figured out how to transform from a debating club into a militant movement to take the fight to the liberals -- Democrats rule and Republicans govern, and I think he has a good point.

I like the analogy that government is force and government is injustice. No matter Repub or Dem, conservative or liberal, this is true.

He's right. Just look at the 2008 and 2012 elections. McCain and Romney were playing by the old rules of being nice and respectful to their opponent, while at the same time Obama was talking about "rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies" and talking about "bringing a gun if they bring a knife." Obama cut his teeth on bare knuckles Chicago politics and brought that to the national stage. Now that the genie is out of the bottle and Obama has been rewarded for that kind of rhetoric, politics will not be the same.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

Good riddance.

One of the best things about Trump is the combative nature of his campaign. Its a nice change of pace from the passive and feeble campaigns run by McCain and Romney.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Good read! One of the better articles here in a long time, IMHO
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Even if Trump is elected, the likes of Romney, McCain and Boehner still won't get it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

HokieJoe wrote:Even if Trump is elected, the likes of Romney, McCain and Boehner still won't get it.
If Trump wins, the likes of Romney, McCain and Boehner will become irrelevant. Especially Romney who will go the way his dad did when his dad acted like a spoiled brat. These Romneys expect everyone else to fall in line and support them, but when someone else needs their support they take their ball and go home. Egos are a big problem with people like this.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Even if Trump is elected, the likes of Romney, McCain and Boehner still won't get it.
If Trump wins, the likes of Romney, McCain and Boehner will become irrelevant. Especially Romney who will go the way his dad did when his dad acted like a spoiled brat. These Romneys expect everyone else to fall in line and support them, but when someone else needs their support they take their ball and go home. Egos are a big problem with people like this.
No way. They'll be the new media darlings as they bad mouth Trump. They'll have leverage as Democrat proxies.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
No way. They'll be the new media darlings as they bad mouth Trump. They'll have leverage as Democrat proxies.
I could see that. They would join the likes of the Matthew Dowds, David Brooks, Anna Navarro, and Nicole Wallace in the punditry class. But I meant they would no longer have any say in the GOP.

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

133743Hokie wrote:I think the author is right in that being gentlemanly has just about died. It has certainly proven to be a losing proposition in modern politics. As he says, the repubs never figured out how to transform from a debating club into a militant movement to take the fight to the liberals -- Democrats rule and Republicans govern, and I think he has a good point.

If you're going to quote American Thinker, at least give us a warning.

Also, "government is injustice" would be laughable if it weren't such a serious and unfounded accusation.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:

Also, "government is injustice" would be laughable if it weren't such a serious and unfounded accusation.
Fringe post
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Fringe post
It sure was.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Fringe post
It sure was.
Yeah, yours was
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:

I'm confused - where is the American Thinker quote? I see now, you were just looking for a link?

I would tweak 133743's comment a bit: initiation of force is immoral, and government is institutionalized initiation of force. It's really the same thing though.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

VisorBoy wrote:

It is. Government makes choices that benefit some; and those choices are a detriment to others. I pay taxes or else I risk fines/imprisonment/seizure/etc. I'm not arguing for anarchy, but those are the realities. You just choose not to admit the obviousness of it all.

BTW, welcome back!
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:

Didn't know you were so fragile that I needed to post a trigger warning for you!

As for American Thinker, they are an aggregator of commentary from a variety of writers from a broad cross section. Just because an article is posted there doesn't make it fringe. It's a commentary that made points that I found interesting and thought worth sharing for discussion here on UWS. Didn't mean to melt your snowflake.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

HokieJoe wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

BTW, welcome back!