UWS doesn't discuss religion very often

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

UWS doesn't discuss religion very often

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: UWS doesn't discuss religion very often

Post by awesome guy »

That's really politics masquerading as religion.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

When you read about those differing movements, they all have one thing in common.....a denial of the authority of scripture.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:When you read about those differing movements, they all have one thing in common.....a denial of the authority of scripture.
I don't consider them Christian. They're the people that think God is what they want him to be. The scripture tells us who he is, it's our responsibility to change to him. Not the other way around.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:Well... Comparitively, anyway.

https://juicyecumenism.com/2016/07/29/5 ... rd-intern/
They may be religious, but it's not Christianity.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Well... Comparitively, anyway.

https://juicyecumenism.com/2016/07/29/5 ... rd-intern/
I suppose I can forgive the author for not having heard of Jim Wallis, as she is a college student. Still, he's a pretty popular figure in Social Gospel circles.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Is "social gospel" an oxymoron?

....Just spurring discussion ....
Salute the Marines
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

It's not discussable. It's my belief against your belief. There are no real facts you can say.

AG says it's the Scripture and he believes wholly in it.

I may believe it's a novel written and edited over multiple millennia.

I think the reason no one really discusses it because political loyalty is one level of personal and religion is a whole other level. The political discussion would look downright polite compared to religious beliefs.

Religion already kind of creeps into the fringes of the political debate anyways.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:It's not discussable. It's my belief against your belief. There are no real facts you can say.

I think the reason no one really discusses it because political loyalty is one level of personal and religion is a whole other level. The political discussion would look downright polite compared to religious beliefs.

Religion already kind of creeps into the fringes of the political debate anyways.
Politics is religion to your ilk, that's why you say stupid crap and call people awful simply for not wanting your government intrusions. Same leap of faith and reflexive dismissal.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:It's not discussable. It's my belief against your belief. There are no real facts you can say.

Politics is religion to your ilk, that's why you say stupid crap and call people awful simply for not wanting your government intrusions. Same leap of faith and reflexive dismissal.
Isn't he charming folks?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Isn't he charming folks?
I am. And dead on right.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Isn't he charming folks?
I am. And dead on right.
I'll give up fighting for my government intrusions so long as you give up fighting for yours.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Isn't he charming folks?
I am. And dead on right.
I'll give up fighting for my government intrusions so long as you give up fighting for yours.
Uh huh. It would be better if you gave up your 2 faces for 1.
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Isn't he charming folks?
I am. And dead on right.
Uh huh. It would be better if you gave up your 2 faces for 1.
I've laid it out there.

Fiscal Conservative.
Socially Liberal(pro gay marriage, pro choice, not big on social welfare). Very libertarian on this part.
I'm not crazy about Obamacare but healthcare has been broken for decades and status quo wasn't doing it.
Pro-gun control
Pro-free trade
Anti-EPA but realizing that having dudes pouring arsenic into rivers or sulfuric acid into the air should probably be illegal
Pro Separation of Church and State. All of the Churches.
Definitely Pro Mining.

Edit: Also hugely pro term limits in congress. I think that would help control the push by politicians who only care about getting reelected rather than actually pushing political agendas.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Is "social gospel" an oxymoron?

You'd have to take that up with Jesus, whose whole ministry was conducted publicly and focused heavily on the poor and oppressed.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Solid take, IMHO
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Is "social gospel" an oxymoron?

You'd have to take that up with Jesus, whose whole ministry was conducted publicly and focused heavily on the poor and oppressed.

I was kindof going for the "of God" vs "of man" angle.
Of God being gospel,,,, of man beiing the very essence of the word "social"
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
I've laid it out there.

Fiscal Conservative.
Socially Liberal(pro gay marriage, pro choice, not big on social welfare). Very libertarian on this part.
I'm not crazy about Obamacare but healthcare has been broken for decades and status quo wasn't doing it.
Pro-gun control
Pro-free trade
Anti-EPA but realizing that having dudes pouring arsenic into rivers or sulfuric acid into the air should probably be illegal
Definitely Pro Mining.

Edit: Also hugely pro term limits in congress. I think that would help control the push by politicians who only care about getting reelected rather than actually pushing political agendas.

Healthcare was broken because of government intrusions. Obamacare as a solution was like matting the gas when you're hurtling towards the precipice of the Grand Canyon.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ElbertoHokie

Post by ElbertoHokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
I've laid it out there.

Fiscal Conservative.
Pro-gun control
Pro-free trade
Definitely Pro Mining.

Healthcare was broken because of government intrusions. Obamacare as a solution was like matting the gas when you're hurtling towards the precipice of the Grand Canyon.
I'm not really arguing that. I'm 32. When i came along and came of age, the broken system was already in place. I, morally, don't really agree that insurance and medical companies should be able to profit off of someones health. So I inherently don't trust their motives. I'm a believer that all hospitals, insurances, etc. should be non-profit. Knowing that, I don't trust the free market system to do what is best for the average joe consumer.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
I've laid it out there.

Fiscal Conservative.
Pro-gun control
Pro-free trade
Definitely Pro Mining.

I'm not really arguing that. I'm 32. When i came along and came of age, the broken system was already in place. I, morally, don't really agree that insurance and medical companies should be able to profit off of someones health. So I inherently don't trust their motives. I'm a believer that all hospitals, insurances, etc. should be non-profit. Knowing that, I don't trust the free market system to do what is best for the average joe consumer.

So you don't trust the mechanism (profit motive) that has developed the most advanced healthcare technology and procedures in the world. Okay, but that's an irrational viewpoint. It's not perfect, but nothing, and I mean nothing is ever perfect. BTW, Europe is NOT an example of a good healthcare system. Our military presence helps subsidize their welfare states. Only a country like Germany could survive without our military backstop. Even that is questionable.

This issue alone indicates to me that you're unsure of what 'fiscal conservative' means. Our biggest social welfare liabilities going forward are healthcare related. I think your issues pertain to cronyism, not capitalism.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson