CO: 1 killed, 1 injured in dachshund attack.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

CO: 1 killed, 1 injured in dachshund attack.

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: CO: 1 killed, 1 injured in dachshund attack.

Post by Major Kong »

Damn bastard wiener dogs :!:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

maybe I'm missing a joke, but the article says Pit Bulls
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:maybe I'm missing a joke, but the article says Pit Bulls
it is an ongoing discussion about dangerous dogs, my wife and I do animal rescue and work with another group and the theory is only big mean pit bulls can do any damage to anyone and should be made extinct. As someone that has dealt with pit bulls before they can be mean and non social or they can be super sweet.... it depends on how they were raised. but yes, the jaw power on them is great and as with any other larger dog they can do alot of damage.

We have 5 dogs (all mixed breed rescues) at the barn at our house, 3 little weenie dogs in the house and 2 coon hound type dogs in the house backyard. Something happened last week right as my wife and I both got home from work and 4 of the barn dogs attacked one of the barn dogs, tore her up pretty good to the tune of $600 in vet damages. She is recovering and we have no idea what set them off. Any dog can do damage, they all have teeth and claws.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
it is an ongoing discussion about dangerous dogs, my wife and I do animal rescue and work with another group and the theory is only big mean pit bulls can do any damage to anyone and should be made extinct. As someone that has dealt with pit bulls before they can be mean and non social or they can be super sweet.... it depends on how they were raised. but yes, the jaw power on them is great and as with any other larger dog they can do alot of damage.

We have 5 dogs (all mixed breed rescues) at the barn at our house, 3 little weenie dogs in the house and 2 coon hound type dogs in the house backyard. Something happened last week right as my wife and I both got home from work and 4 of the barn dogs attacked one of the barn dogs, tore her up pretty good to the tune of $600 in vet damages. She is recovering and we have no idea what set them off. Any dog can do damage, they all have teeth and claws.

In other words, cwtr does animal rescue and works closely with lots of dogs, yet remains ignorant about the fact that different dogs have different temperaments and different aggression triggers.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

In other words, cwtr does animal rescue and works closely with lots of dogs, yet remains ignorant about the fact that different dogs have different temperaments and different aggression triggers.
my actual life experience, did you miss the part ABOUT HOW THEY WERE RAISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

how many dogs do you have? I love how you call him ignorant when he sees more dogs in a week than you have in your lifetime. You didn't even get the attack right as he says they have different temperaments and triggers based on how they're raised. At least be smart and not ignorant in your attacks.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

In a debate on UWS long, long ago... someone (not cwtcr) retorted when presented with Pit Bull attack/mauling statistics that dachshunds are responsible for more dog bites (or some such nonsense) than other dogs.

So, every time I link a story about another horrible pit bull mauling/killing, I always replace pit bull with dachshund in the title to highlight how absurd that statistic is.

We have no problem understanding that herding dogs have been bred to herd, retrieving dogs have been bred to retrieve, water dogs are bred for water, terriers have been bred to hunt rodents, etc. etc. Yet, somehow, some people pretend that a breed which has roots in fighting going back to ancient Greece and is responsible for the overwhelming majority of dog attacks is not predisposed towards violence.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Oh yes, and Pit Bulls is possibly the only topic on UWS which crosses political boundaries.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
In a debate on UWS long, long ago... someone (not cwtcr) retorted when presented with Pit Bull attack/mauling statistics that dachshunds are responsible for more dog bites (or some such nonsense) than other dogs.

So, every time I link a story about another horrible pit bull mauling/killing, I always replace pit bull with dachshund in the title to highlight how absurd that statistic is.

We have no problem understanding that herding dogs have been bred to herd, retrieving dogs have been bred to retrieve, water dogs are bred for water, terriers have been bred to hunt rodents, etc. etc. Yet, somehow, some people pretend that a breed which has roots in fighting going back to ancient Greece and is responsible for the overwhelming majority of dog attacks is not predisposed towards violence.
There's a whole class of dogs bred to hunt and kill, like pit bulls. Why aren't they terrorising neighborhoods? I think your rationale is backwards here in that pit bulls are strong and tough and that's why hoodlums get them to beat and turn into fighting dogs. You can't ignore the owners in this whole situation. A dog treated well generally isn't going to attack and one treated badly generally is. You seem to be approaching it from the bred first and then saying the dog bred is bad. Look at it this way, pretty much all dogs at Vick's fight club were pit bulls. So you say "see, the pit bulls are awful, that's why he got them". I contend that any bred raised like that would bite and strike out too. I say "see, Vick is a bad owner that raised vicious dogs, training them to attack". And yes, hoodlums prefer pit bulls because of their strength and tenacity, but the nasty disposition towards humans has to be drawn out of them as they're also bred to be loyal and faithful towards people. The owner has to undermine that aspect of their breeding.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

here's the science. Dachshunds are the most aggressive dog bred, but they and the rest on this list won't show up on police or EMT reports because they're generally wimps that won't do bodily harm. Like an Absolute insult, it comes in furies but is generally ineffective. A pit bull on the other hand is serious business when it bites because of it's jaw strength and relentlessness. They're like snapping turtles and just won't let go, even if you're beating them in the head. You can punt a dachshund across the room. This squares with my experiences as an owner too, I've been beaten by 3 of the breds on this list and only nipped by a pit bull while playing with it, it was an accident. But it was also the most serious injury.

https://petolog.com/articles/most-aggressive-dogs
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

how many dogs do you have? I love how you call him ignorant when he sees more dogs in a week than you have in your lifetime. You didn't even get the attack right as he says they have different temperaments and triggers based on how they're raised. At least be smart and not ignorant in your attacks.
I don't own any dogs now. But I worked at a vet for 3 years and boarding kennel for 2 years. I've also worked for 3 different animal groups. I'm pretty sure I've seen 10x more animals than cwtr.
Temperament is not learned, it's inherited, and triggers are also. Temperament is not a learned behavior. You can train a dog to reduce or increase undesirable traits, but you can't remove them completely. You can only modify them.
It's not even debatable. Cwtr can say whatever he wants, but he's just wrong. You don't have to take my word on it, you can spend 30 seconds researching it, and see how wrong he is.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I don't own any dogs now. But I worked at a vet for 3 years and boarding kennel for 2 years. I've also worked for 3 different animal groups. I'm pretty sure I've seen 10x more animals than cwtr.
Temperament is not learned, it's inherited, and triggers are also. Temperament is not a learned behavior. You can train a dog to reduce or increase undesirable traits, but you can't remove them completely. You can only modify them.
It's not even debatable. Cwtr can say whatever he wants, but he's just wrong. You don't have to take my word on it, you can spend 30 seconds researching it, and see how wrong he is.

He's done animal rescue for decades. I doubt you've seen 10x as many animals or even more. He has a farm, you have to give him respect for his experiences.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

He's done animal rescue for decades. I doubt you've seen 10x as many animals or even more. He has a farm, you have to give him respect for his experiences.
I can respect his experience, but that doesn't mean he is right. Pitbulls are aggressive by nature, and are especially so to other animals, and strangers. They are loyal to their owners, but as an owner, if you don't make yourself the alpha in the household, the pit bull will be. So, if you let your pit be the alpha dog it was born to be, you don't know at what point the pit is going to assert his authority over you.
Pit bull owners who have been attacked often don't know why. Bottom line is that for your average person, it's not smart to own a put bull, especially if you have children, because children are triggers for a lot of dog aggression.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: it is an ongoing discussion about dangerous dogs, my wife and I do animal rescue and work with another group and the theory is only big mean pit bulls can do any damage to anyone and should be made extinct. As someone that has dealt with pit bulls before they can be mean and non social or they can be super sweet.... it depends on how they were raised. but yes, the jaw power on them is great and as with any other larger dog they can do alot of damage.

I can respect his experience, but that doesn't mean he is right. Pitbulls are aggressive by nature, and are especially so to other animals, and strangers. They are loyal to their owners, but as an owner, if you don't make yourself the alpha in the household, the pit bull will be. So, if you let your pit be the alpha dog it was born to be, you don't know at what point the pit is going to assert his authority over you.
Pit bull owners who have been attacked often don't know why. Bottom line is that for your average person, it's not smart to own a put bull, especially if you have children, because children are triggers for a lot of dog aggression.
Fair enough. Though I think he's largely right.

I'd say it like this. I bet Paris Hilton's purse dog nipped at and bit more people than Vick's dogs. But the bit from Vick's dogs sent more people to the doctor than the yapper in the purse.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Fair enough. Though I think he's largely right.

I'd say it like this. I bet Paris Hilton's purse dog nipped at and bit more people than Vick's dogs. But the bit from Vick's dogs sent more people to the doctor than the yapper in the purse.

Agreed. Dachsunds and Jack Russells can be downright mean, but unless you're a toddler, does it really matter?

But, for larger breeds, if you compare something like a pit bull and a lab, both are big enough to do harm, but one is more temperamental than the other.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

My dog has been around hundreds and hundreds of dogs in her life. Only one attack, and that was an attack by a pit bull.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure. That was probably the only one of those hundreds of dogs that was raised poorly.
#JusticeForNolan
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
So what? Size is part of breeding. I don't understand why you think this is relevant.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

PolyTech wrote:My dog has been around hundreds and hundreds of dogs in her life. Only one attack, and that was an attack by a pit bull.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure. That was probably the only one of those hundreds of dogs that was raised poorly.

Ditto. Mine was even preceded by the infamous "He's nice, he doesn't bite." Then, as the Pit Bull is trying to latch onto my dog's neck, I heard her shout "Don't kick him or he'll bite you."
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: Agreed. Dachsunds and Jack Russells can be downright mean, but unless you're a toddler, does it really matter?

But, for larger breeds, if you compare something like a pit bull and a lab, both are big enough to do harm, but one is more temperamental than the other.
Yep. My MIL has a dachshund. It's a little shirt, but it's not on the table below for a reason.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
So what? Size is part of breeding. I don't understand why you think this is relevant.
It's the difference between aggression and danger.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:My dog has been around hundreds and hundreds of dogs in her life. Only one attack, and that was an attack by a pit bull.

My pit bull was bit by just one dog and it was a yapper. Dang thing tried to bite her tongue as she swallowed it.

OK, both dogs were mine and it really happened. My Jack Russell pup was jumping up and down and nipping her gums. She was old then, around 16 or so, got ticked, and inhaled the puppy. My wife about cried and then the pit bull spit him out. The Jack never did that again or was not harmed. But this pit bull was very aggressive with other dogs, we kept her away from other animals as much as we could. Simply the best dog around people, great family dog, but highly antisocial. The Jack Russell was also a little dick head around other dogs. He tackled and knocked down a 60 pound German Shepherd who was still a pup then. That Jack Russell was the most bad ass and fearless dog I've ever owned. He had a Napoleon complex and was a husky trapped in a 15 pound terrier body.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Agreed. Dachsunds and Jack Russells can be downright mean, but unless you're a toddler, does it really matter?

Yep. My MIL has a dachshund. It's a little shirt, but it's not on the table below for a reason.

How many dachshunds are owned in the hood? There were hardly any pit bull attacks before the 80s when the gangs started training and breeding them to be killers.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:How many dachshunds are owned in the hood?
So your proposition is if more people in the hood owned Dachshunds as fighting dogs, the statistics would have Dachshunds at the top of the killer list?

awesome guy wrote: There were hardly any pit bull attacks before the 80s when the gangs started training and breeding them to be killers.
Link? Even if so, who cares? That's like saying "there was no crack cocaine epidemic before the 80's" as an argument that crack cocaine is no more dangerous than cigarettes.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
It's the difference between aggression and danger.
So you admit Pit Bulls are danger[ous] and are arguing over the lexicon???