Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

DHS is looking at taking over elections

Post by awesome guy »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/homel ... le/2600592

golly gee, how would the Obama regime ever abuse this? I trust the "Russian hackers" more than the Obama administration. I doubt there are Russian hackers, likely the usual DNC cheaters or the Chinese who have paid millions to the Clintons illegally and fear Trump calling them out for currency manipulation.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
VisorBoy

Re: DHS is looking at taking over elections

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/homel ... le/2600592

golly gee, how would the Obama regime ever abuse this? I trust the "Russian hackers" more than the Obama administration. I doubt there are Russian hackers, likely the usual DNC cheaters or the Chinese who have paid millions to the Clintons illegally and fear Trump calling them out for currency manipulation.
It's a question worthy of debate: whether it is better for their to be one system used by all States, overseen at the federal level, versus many systems used by the States, each with its own security and own risks. Both options have positives and negatives.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VisorBoy wrote:

It's a question worthy of debate: whether it is better for their to be one system used by all States, overseen at the federal level, versus many systems used by the States, each with its own security and own risks. Both options have positives and negatives.
Having a group reporting to a politician, taking over elections, is not a question worthy of debate.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

It makes no sense to me why we moved away from punch card ballots.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

VisorBoy wrote:

Wait a second, after years of conservatives saying we need to do more to insure the integrity of our elections, only to have the left say there are not enough cases of voter fraud to be concerned and if you are concerned you're a racist, now suddenly we are supposed to freak out about "Russian hackers?" And the answer is to hand over control of the election process to the party in power in the WH?

Where is the proof of these Russian hackers? That is what you people constantly demanded when the right simply wanted people to show their voter ID before voting - which is a very simple and common sense measure to make sure people are who they say they are before voting. Is it the only measure we should take? No of course not, but I think we're the only 1st world country that doesn't require it before voting and apparently the only one that sees it as racism.

Forgive me if I'm less that concerned about "Russian hackers" just because Harry (the Hack) Reid gives another one of his conspiracy theory speeches on the Senate floor. Remember this is the guy that admitted he was willing to lie or do whatever to make sure Romney didn't win in 2012, so he has ZERO credibility. And by the left's standard, anyone going around accusing the Russians of being hackers is a "racist." A racist against the "Russian race" (just like Trump is a "racist" against the "Mexican race").

Sorry, but the answer to this is NOT to give more power to DHS and the federal government. What the hell does controlling our elections have to do with the original charter of DHS? The answer is to simply disconnect the voting machines from the internet, have both a paper ballot and an e-ballot so random audits can be done to make sure the e-ballot totals equal the paper ballot totals, and require people to show voter ID. We don't need DHS to do this, we simply need legislation and then require the states to comply with the law.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

It's like hiring Hells Angels to do security at a 1960s rock festival.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Having a group reporting to a politician, taking over elections, is not a question worthy of debate.
Agreed. Keep the Feds out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:

The political party in power managing the election process is a hallmark of a banana republic.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

This is some nefarious shirt
Salute the Marines
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

He's a less-alarmist version of the article:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/e ... gia-227475
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

This is quite in keeping with Obama's 3rd world leadership style and values.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Well said DC.

And the same JEH who is doing so well with TSA, will do wonders with the election process. Maybe they can get the geniuses who developed then obamacare website to write some code. Shouldn't cost much and they are princeton friends of our voluptuous first lady.

Someone (awesome?) said it well, i'd rather have the russians in charge than the obama administration.

The clinton/obama campaign must be worried here.

HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Last edited by oaktonhokie on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:He's a less-alarmist version of the article:
Not really. Do you have any plans on being less of a sheep and instead thinking for yourself?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Not really. Do you have any plans on being less of a sheep and instead thinking for yourself?
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Jeh Johnson and his management of the TSA is laughable. They were criticized for long line at TSA checkpoints. So, what was the solution? Put more people into TSAPrecheck. So, instead of really addressing the problem, we've pushed more people into Precheck. Why even have regular TSA then?

His solution has essentially pushed airport security to what it was before 9/11, at a substantially higher cost to the airlines and fliers.
oaktonhokie wrote:Well said DC.

And the same JEH who is doing so well with TSA, will do wonders with the election process. Maybe they can get the geniuses who developed then obamacare website to write some code. Shouldn't cost much and they are princeton friends of our voluptuous first lady.

Someone (awesome?) said it well, i'd rather have the russians in charge than the obama administration.

The clinton/obama campaign must be worried here.

HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Is there such a thing as "a less alarmist version" ?
You seem to imply there is legitimate rationale, other than your team's subjugation of the populace ("Yay, team!), to this.

Is there a less alarmist version of the Hindenburg disaster?
Salute the Marines
RWNJ
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by RWNJ »

USN_Hokie wrote:It makes no sense to me why we moved away from punch card ballots.
Gore didn't like those hanging chads. Didn't work to his benefit.
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Politicians are already in charge of elections. The Secretary of State in AZ, for instance, is an elected official of a given party.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Politicians are already in charge of elections. The Secretary of State in AZ, for instance, is an elected official of a given party.

Having Obama in charge of elections is stupid and is just a gateway to even more voting fraud.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Having Obama in charge of elections is stupid and is just a gateway to even more voting fraud.
Agree that too much hands-on federal oversight would be a bad thing. But perhaps federal help in developing hack-proof systems for states to use is closer to the right way to go.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Agree that too much hands-on federal oversight would be a bad thing. But perhaps federal help in developing hack-proof systems for states to use is closer to the right way to go.

As someone with a lot of experience working with the feds, they don't have the skillset. They're way behind the times in security and application development. They're the same people that gave us healthcare.gov afterall.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: Agree that too much hands-on federal oversight would be a bad thing. But perhaps federal help in developing hack-proof systems for states to use is closer to the right way to go.

As someone with a lot of experience working with the feds, they don't have the skillset. They're way behind the times in security and application development. They're the same people that gave us healthcare.gov afterall.
By the federal gov't, it doesn't have to necessarily mean its employees. It could just mean its resources, which would be used to hire contractors.

The gov't would probably build horrible fighter jets, but its resources in the hands of contractors have led to the construction of the greatest fighter jets the world has ever seen.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

I can't believe you just typed that. The Gov't DID hire subcontractors for the healthcare website debacle. That didn't turn out well, either.
VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: Agree that too much hands-on federal oversight would be a bad thing. But perhaps federal help in developing hack-proof systems for states to use is closer to the right way to go.

By the federal gov't, it doesn't have to necessarily mean its employees. It could just mean its resources, which would be used to hire contractors.

The gov't would probably build horrible fighter jets, but its resources in the hands of contractors have led to the construction of the greatest fighter jets the world has ever seen.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

It's the same thing. They contract out most of this work anyway. They don't have the skills to have any part in it.