NYT warns fatties on how to talk to Dr's about fatness

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

NYT warns fatties on how to talk to Dr's about fatness

Post by USN_Hokie »

I've said it before, I'll say it again. This.... hypersensitivity to offense that we're seeing is a disease.
What if the doctor does not want to speculate on other causes, or answer the patient’s direct questions? What if the doctor just keeps circling back to the patient’s weight?

“Consider telling the doctor you feel upset or distressed,” Dr. Puhl said. “If you are feeling judged, let the doctor know.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/healt ... ients.html
HokieFanDC

Re: NYT warns fatties on how to talk to Dr's about fatness

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again. This.... hypersensitivity to offense that we're seeing is a disease.
What if the doctor does not want to speculate on other causes, or answer the patient’s direct questions? What if the doctor just keeps circling back to the patient’s weight?

“Consider telling the doctor you feel upset or distressed,” Dr. Puhl said. “If you are feeling judged, let the doctor know.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/healt ... ients.html
Doctors should stop telling lung cancer patients to quit smoking. It's demeaning to them.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The medical profession will probably never cave to PC bullshit like this. At least I think not...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

There's a fine line between saying "you need to lose weight" constructively as a medical professional and fat shaming. Fat shaming can lead to stress eating and the problem self-perpetuates.
She had seen an orthopedic surgeon, hoping to discuss knee replacement, but he dismissed her complaints, telling her she was too fat and should just go on a diet.
This article makes me think about the thing that Obama said during the Obamacare debates - where he claimed that doctors were needlessly amputating limbs. Well, that's absurd of course, but for any surgery that you want, guaranteed you're going to be able to find a doctor somewhere willing to take your money to do it. So I have no idea - just from one doctor saying "the surgery is a good idea" and the other saying "the surgery is a bad idea" which one is correct. Of course, if you are overweight and being overweight has destroyed your knees, yeah, going back in time and not doing that would be the best choice, but unfortunately you have lost that option and if you can't walk, you're never going to lose weight.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:There's a fine line between saying "you need to lose weight" constructively as a medical professional and fat shaming. Fat shaming can lead to stress eating and the problem self-perpetuates.
She had seen an orthopedic surgeon, hoping to discuss knee replacement, but he dismissed her complaints, telling her she was too fat and should just go on a diet.
This article makes me think about the thing that Obama said during the Obamacare debates - where he claimed that doctors were needlessly amputating limbs. Well, that's absurd of course, but for any surgery that you want, guaranteed you're going to be able to find a doctor somewhere willing to take your money to do it. So I have no idea - just from one doctor saying "the surgery is a good idea" and the other saying "the surgery is a bad idea" which one is correct. Of course, if you are overweight and being overweight has destroyed your knees, yeah, going back in time and not doing that would be the best choice, but unfortunately you have lost that option and if you can't walk, you're never going to lose weight.
People don't want to take responsibility for the fact that their actions affect their health. Telling people that they need to lose weight to control their health problems leaves these people with the uncomfortable reality that they caused these issues.

Shaming is not a bad thing. It's an unobtrusive way to standardize behavior in society without the use of force or an overbearing government. These people who characterize shaming as a bad thing are really asking for lawyers to control behavior using regulations and people with guns - that's always the poorer option.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

It is just another example of people being too stupid to understand or acknowledge cause and effect, because of their feelings. Just like a BLM protestor doesn't want to admit that they are poor because they dropped out of school, or wasted $200k on a women's studies degree or dealt crack. Same same same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:It is just another example of people being too stupid to understand or acknowledge cause and effect, because of their feelings. Just like a BLM protestor doesn't want to admit that they are poor because they dropped out of school, or wasted $200k on a women's studies degree or dealt crack. Same same same.

Mostly true, but there are legitimate medical reasons why some have a hard time losing weight. I think most of the time it's personal choices, but a significant enough portion have medical issues that are illusive or out of control. I'll use me as an example, I had a hard time losing weight till the doctor figured out that I have sleep apnea. So no matter how much you workout or diet, the oxygen levels drop below levels necessary for the metabolism to kick in. Others have thyroid issues or other issues. But it still does get back to personal choices because I should have talked with the doctor about this years ago. The personal choices also comes into play because earlier weight gain contributed to sleep apnea, though part is natural. Point being that there's still much we don't know about diet and health and there are medical reasons why weight loss is difficult.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:These people who characterize shaming as a bad thing are really asking for lawyers to control behavior using regulations and people with guns - that's always the poorer option.

What??? Who wants lawyers and government to stop people from fat shaming?

X is bad != the government should ban X
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:It is just another example of people being too stupid to understand or acknowledge cause and effect, because of their feelings. Just like a BLM protestor doesn't want to admit that they are poor because they dropped out of school, or wasted $200k on a women's studies degree or dealt crack. Same same same.

Mostly true, but there are legitimate medical reasons why some have a hard time losing weight. I think most of the time it's personal choices, but a significant enough portion have medical issues that are illusive or out of control. I'll use me as an example, I had a hard time losing weight till the doctor figured out that I have sleep apnea. So no matter how much you workout or diet, the oxygen levels drop below levels necessary for the metabolism to kick in. Others have thyroid issues or other issues. But it still does get back to personal choices because I should have talked with the doctor about this years ago. The personal choices also comes into play because earlier weight gain contributed to sleep apnea, though part is natural. Point being that there's still much we don't know about diet and health and there are medical reasons why weight loss is difficult.
I started losing weight after getting my thyroid under control ... but I don't know how much it had anything to do with that - what really mattered is that I threw the ice cream and junk food in the trash and I don't put a lot of sugar into my body. If it's not in the house, I can't be tempted by it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:These people who characterize shaming as a bad thing are really asking for lawyers to control behavior using regulations and people with guns - that's always the poorer option.

What??? Who wants lawyers and government to stop people from fat shaming?

X is bad != the government should ban X
No, you misunderstand - moral norms and government are the two mechanisms for coercing people in a cooperative environment required for society to exist. People who argue against moral norms ("shaming") are making a defacto argument for more government.