Post by nolanvt »

among GOP voters.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... r-the-gop/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Nate Silver on how Trump could impact turnout

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Right....because Nate Silver has had such a stellar track record when it comes to predicting anything Trump.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/04/7-tim ... ald-trump/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Right....because Nate Silver has had such a stellar track record when it comes to predicting anything Trump.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/04/7-tim ... ald-trump/
Before I respond, is it your position that Silver and almost every single poll are wrong?

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

My BS detector went off:
Democrats are seeing very strong early-voting numbers in Virginia
And how exactly would he know that? We don't have party registration in Virginia.

Maybe they do in Nevada and so you can see how many registered Democrats vs registered Republicans have voted early but here we don't have that.

Republicans are going to retain the House - there just aren't enough competitive seats for the democrats to take over.

The Senate is much more dicey as the Republicans are defending the seats picked up in a really good year. Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana are probably all democrat pickups, for a 51-49 Democrat majority.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

BigDave wrote:My BS detector went off:
And how exactly would he know that? We don't have party registration in Virginia.

Maybe they do in Nevada and so you can see how many registered Democrats vs registered Republicans have voted early but here we don't have that.

Republicans are going to retain the House - there just aren't enough competitive seats for the democrats to take over.

The Senate is much more dicey as the Republicans are defending the seats picked up in a really good year. Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana are probably all democrat pickups, for a 51-49 Democrat majority.
They have people on the ground tracking these things. At the location I voted, a Dem asked me on my way in if I wanted a Dem ballot voting guide (declined). Said Dem asked me on my way out if I'd like to share who I voted for - didn't mind telling him Gary Johnson. The GOP guy was sitting on his hands and didn't appear to be that active.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

nolanvt wrote:among GOP voters.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ele ... r-the-gop/

Fringe source.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

LOL..And the Dems are climbing over each other to get to the polls to vote for Hillary...As evidenced by the large crowds she is pulling in.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Attila T Hun wrote:LOL..And the Dems are climbing over each other to get to the polls to vote for Hillary...As evidenced by the large crowds she is pulling in.
Has there been analysis conducted on the effects of voter turnout and crowd size you could link to me? Thanks.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Trump is a lock. This is unlike any other election. Polls are all skewed to favor by over-polling Dumbs........He's going to win in a landslide. BOOK IT!
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

They have people on the ground tracking these things. At the location I voted, a Dem asked me on my way in if I wanted a Dem ballot voting guide (declined). Said Dem asked me on my way out if I'd like to share who I voted for - didn't mind telling him Gary Johnson. The GOP guy was sitting on his hands and didn't appear to be that active.

That sounds sooper scientific.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Well, that's part of how campaigns with good ground games track these things. The scientific part is controlling the data for various factors (including prior history accuracy).
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Well, that's part of how campaigns with good ground games track these things. The scientific part is controlling the data for various factors (including prior history accuracy).
Are you trying to tell me that Nate Silver uses data provided to him by political campaigns? Your anecdote has nothing to do with scientific polling.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:Are you trying to tell me that Nate Silver uses data provided to him by political campaigns?
I don't know what he uses. You need to direct that question to him.
USN_Hokie wrote:Your anecdote has nothing to do with scientific polling.
I have not opined on the early voting numbers themselves. My response to Dave had to do with various methods in how campaigns track things like early turnout. They go to polling places, place calls, go door-to-door and gather as much info as possible.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Are you trying to tell me that Nate Silver uses data provided to him by political campaigns?
I have not opined on the early voting numbers themselves. My response to Dave had to do with various methods in how campaigns track things like early turnout. They go to polling places, place calls, go door-to-door and gather as much info as possible.
Yeah that's called exit polling, and from your description...informal (sloppy) exit polling. I'm not aware of any public pollsters doing early voting exit polling...and trying to get a statistically relevant sample size of early voters using phone interviews doesn't sound efficacious either. You must know something I don't.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Yeah that's called exit polling, and from your description...informal (sloppy) exit polling. I'm not aware of any public pollsters doing early voting exit polling...and trying to get a statistically relevant sample size of early voters using phone interviews doesn't sound efficacious either. You must know something I don't.
That's because you're attempting to assign assertions to me that I haven't made.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
That's because you're attempting to assign assertions to me that I haven't made.

You purported to provide an explanation for Dave's puzzlement at a statement which you now call an assertion you haven't made. So, some dude asked you questions and tried to throw campaign literature at you while you threw your vote away...because...reasons, got it. Sorry to interrupt your episode of underpants gnome logic.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:You purported to provide an explanation for Dave's puzzlement at a statement which you now call an assertion you haven't made. So, some dude asked you questions and tried to throw campaign literature at you while you threw your vote away...because...reasons, got it. Sorry to interrupt your episode of underpants gnome logic.
Yes, Dave asked how could anyone gauge turnout in VA given that we don't register by party. I responded that campaigns (and this isn't some new phenomenon) send people out to locations (with a personal anecdote), and they also place calls, go door to door, etc. As all of this is going on, campaigns are analyzing the data and controlling for various factors. This is pretty basic Voter Turnout 101 stuff that all campaigns do.

Glad we got that straightened out.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:You purported to provide an explanation for Dave's puzzlement at a statement which you now call an assertion you haven't made. So, some dude asked you questions and tried to throw campaign literature at you while you threw your vote away...because...reasons, got it. Sorry to interrupt your episode of underpants gnome logic.
Yes, Dave asked how could anyone gauge turnout in VA given that we don't register by party. I responded that campaigns (and this isn't some new phenomenon) send people out to locations (with a personal anecdote), and they also place calls, go door to door, etc. As all of this is going on, campaigns are analyzing the data and controlling for various factors. This is pretty basic Voter Turnout 101 stuff that all campaigns do.

...and glad to point that that data is flawed. Especially when Dumbs using exit poll data pronounced Kerry won the election.......even to the point of a staffer calling him Mr. President......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Again, that's completely irrelevant to the discussion, but thanks. Instead of reading your story, we could have just clicked on the hyperlink provided to see that this is an assumption based off of the number of absentee ballots turned in from NOVA. They don't know if who these people are casting their ballots for...they might even be people voting for the burnt out pothead.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Here's the link he's citing in that comment:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... story.html
Voters in Northern Virginia are casting early absentee ballots at far higher rates than they did in the 2012 presidential election, a reflection of the surge of interest in the 2016 contest that could benefit Democrat Hillary Clinton over Republican Donald Trump.

In Fairfax County, the state’s largest jurisdiction, officials anticipate that 150,000 people will have cast absentee ballots by Nov. 8, a nearly 75 percent increase over the 87,000 ballots cast four years ago.
So the assumption seems to be that a traditional Democratic leaning area has cast more absentee ballots.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Again, that's completely irrelevant to the discussion, but thanks. Instead of reading your story, we could have just clicked on the hyperlink provided to see that this is an assumption based off of the number of absentee ballots turned in from NOVA. They don't know if who these people are casting their ballots for...they might even be people voting for the burnt out pothead.
I'm perfectly content waiting until election night to tell you necks that you got your asses kicked (again).

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I'm perfectly content waiting until election night to tell you necks that you got your asses kicked (again).

Haven't decided if The Usuals™ are doing a bit or if they're actually going to be yelling from a mountaintop that the results were rigged when Trump loses.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Haven't decided if The Usuals™ are doing a bit or if they're actually going to be yelling from a mountaintop that the results were rigged when Trump loses.
Trump.........is a lock.

Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

If it does occur you can credit minorities, illegals, dead people, criminals, Kaperdicks, Hollywood, professors, unions and the media...You know, the real American patriots who carry us day to day citizens.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Attila T Hun wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

If it does occur you can credit minorities, illegals, dead people, criminals, Kaperdicks, Hollywood, professors, unions and the media...You know, the real American patriots who carry us day to day citizens.
Got it neck.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.