Denmark: Man charged with blasphemy after burning koran

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Denmark: Man charged with blasphemy after burning koran

Post by USN_Hokie »

Old laws on the books used to protect Christianity are now being used to protect Islam.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 94796.html

It's really easy to take for granted freedom of speech in the United States. That and the inherent right to self defense are two of the protections our Constitution offers that really makes it special. Coincidentally, these are also the two rights which leftists are attacking.
CFB Apologist

Re: Denmark: Man charged with blasphemy after burning koran

Post by CFB Apologist »

Wasn't it Diggety on the old UWS that said we should never make fun of or criticize the Koran because Muslims might get mad? or was that Nolan?
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:Wasn't it Diggety on the old UWS that said we should never make fun of or criticize the Koran because Muslims might get mad? or was that Nolan?
Wasn't me. I think all organized religions are pretty dumb.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Wasn't it Diggety on the old UWS that said we should never make fun of or criticize the Koran because Muslims might get mad? or was that Nolan?
I wouldn't say that, and didn't say that, but I think burning a Koran for the sake of provocation is a stupid and counterproductive thing to do.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
I wouldn't say that, and didn't say that, but I think burning a Koran for the sake of provocation is a stupid and counterproductive thing to do.
Agee
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Do you feel the same way about the american flag?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Do you feel the same way about the american flag?
Sure. There are better, more respectful ways to register one's protest with a nation's actions.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Imprisoning people for igniting some paper is also counterproductive. Denmark's anti-blasphemy laws obviously didn't do a very good job protecting Christian beliefs.

I have no problems with casting sunlight on bad ideas
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Imprisoning people for igniting some paper is also counterproductive. Denmark's anti-blasphemy laws obviously didn't do a very good job protecting Christian beliefs.

I have no problems with casting sunlight on bad ideas
That's a separate issue. Not sure how I come down on that (and also not sure what freedom of speech rights are afforded under Danish law).

I could kind of see it as yelling fire in a crowded theatre.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: I could kind of see it as yelling fire in a crowded theatre.
Shouldn't that application be reserved for instances universally dangerous to everyone?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

So does this mean that Dansk Folkekirke is no longer the State Religion of Denmark :?:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: I could kind of see it as yelling fire in a crowded theatre.
Shouldn't that application be reserved for instances universally dangerous to everyone?
Enflaming passions in this manner is universally dangerous to everyone.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Doesn't bother me. :D
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

So we should all modify our speech or else? We are nation of laws, and curbing speech in order to avoid physical violence should never be tolerated.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

So we should all modify our speech or else? We are nation of laws, and curbing speech in order to avoid physical violence should never be tolerated.
Denmark. As I noted above, not sure how I come down on this as being punishable by imprisonment.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Denmark. As I noted above, not sure how I come down on this as being punishable by imprisonment.
You'd be ok with imprisoning someone for burning Dianetics?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

not sure how I come down on this as being punishable by imprisonment
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

If by "imprison", you mean "give them a medal", then yes.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

I'm glad we don't live under Denmark's or other countries' laws that prosecute speech to this degree. I think we generally get it right, but there should be rare exceptions to reckless speech that are likely to incite violent actions.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:I'm glad we don't live under Denmark's or other countries' laws that prosecute speech to this degree. I think we generally get it right, but there should be rare exceptions to reckless speech that are likely to incite violent actions.
Such as waiving a piece of cloth you don't like the pattern of?

How is your vision of free speech not worse than Denmark's?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:I'm glad we don't live under Denmark's or other countries' laws that prosecute speech to this degree. I think we generally get it right, but there should be rare exceptions to reckless speech that are likely to incite violent actions.

Waiving the Southern Participation Trophy shouldn't be censored. Instead, you should just be allowed to look like an idiot.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Waiving the Southern Participation Trophy shouldn't be censored. Instead, you should just be allowed to look like an idiot.
Hey, it's not a Marshall diploma or something like that.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.