Well Bay Area, looks like Oaktown lost the Raiders again.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Well Bay Area, looks like Oaktown lost the Raiders again.

Post by HokieJoe »

Kind of a shame. I used to love the Raiders when they had Stabler, Biletnikov, Casper, etc. Plus, they beat up on the Squeelers occasionally. That's always a plus in my book.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
VisorBoy

Re: Well Bay Area, looks like Oaktown lost the Raiders again

Post by VisorBoy »

HokieJoe wrote:Kind of a shame. I used to love the Raiders when they had Stabler, Biletnikov, Casper, etc. Plus, they beat up on the Squeelers occasionally. That's always a plus in my book.
Yeah, shame to see them leave Oaktown.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Dang, figured they'd go back to LA.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

VisorBoy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Kind of a shame. I used to love the Raiders when they had Stabler, Biletnikov, Casper, etc. Plus, they beat up on the Squeelers occasionally. That's always a plus in my book.
Oaktown is a liberal, sanctuary, rusted, crime ridden shithole... good riddance.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Oaktown is a liberal, sanctuary, rusted, crime ridden shithole... good riddance.
Have you been recently?
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
Yeah, the riots were on TV. Typical liberal shithole.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
Yes, and to save you some time...yes, there are area's in Detroit and Oakland where you can walk and not get murdered..I know this.. but generally- Oakland is a dying shithole, let's be honest
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
wasn't that where the folks burned to a crisper in the artists compound that had not been inspected in 25 years? I guess you would love to live next to that place?
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I guess I could have one NFL team to hate forever, so it might as well be the Raiders. The Raiders were really the team of the blue collar part of the East Bay, which includes towns like San Leandro, Fremont, and Hayward. This is where the plumbers live, and a lot of them are Mexican. That was really their fan base. I live out in the cracker part of the East Bay called Lamorinda.

I have met Mark Davis, and if he has three digits in his IQ, I will give everyone on this board a dollar. Yeah, the stadium sucked, but his fans stuck with that team for a lot of lean years.

Oh well, the NFL has approved a lot of moves on the west coast that are odd. The 49ers now play in a stadium in the parking lot of an amusement park, with all the character you would expect. We shall see how the Rams and Chargers do in LA. The Seahawks are kinda the only real in a lot of ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
Yeah, the riots were on TV. Typical liberal shithole.
Yep. Exhibit A: Raiders fans.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I guess I could have one NFL team to hate forever, so it might as well be the Raiders. The Raiders were really the team of the blue collar part of the East Bay, which includes towns like San Leandro, Fremont, and Hayward. This is where the plumbers live, and a lot of them are Mexican. That was really their fan base. I live out in the cracker part of the East Bay called Lamorinda.

I have met Mark Davis, and if he has three digits in his IQ, I will give everyone on this board a dollar. Yeah, the stadium sucked, but his fans stuck with that team for a lot of lean years.

Oh well, the NFL has approved a lot of moves on the west coast that are odd. The 49ers now play in a stadium in the parking lot of an amusement park, with all the character you would expect. We shall see how the Rams and Chargers do in LA. The Seahawks are kinda the only real in a lot of ways.

What pisses me off most is that nobody has the guts to ask Mark Davis or Roger Goddell... hey fellas.. each team gets over 100Mil a year profit from TV rights ALONE...over 100Mil, every year... why don't the NFL and the Raiders just build their own stadium??????????? Finance it for 25 years and you could easily pay the debt with TV money alone. and I'm not talking about suite sales, ticket sales, beer sales, etc. Such shitty greedy bastards
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I guess I could have one NFL team to hate forever, so it might as well be the Raiders. The Raiders were really the team of the blue collar part of the East Bay, which includes towns like San Leandro, Fremont, and Hayward. This is where the plumbers live, and a lot of them are Mexican. That was really their fan base. I live out in the cracker part of the East Bay called Lamorinda.

What pisses me off most is that nobody has the guts to ask Mark Davis or Roger Goddell... hey fellas.. each team gets over 100Mil a year profit from TV rights ALONE...over 100Mil, every year... why don't the NFL and the Raiders just build their own stadium??????????? Finance it for 25 years and you could easily pay the debt with TV money alone. and I'm not talking about suite sales, ticket sales, beer sales, etc. Such shitty greedy bastards
This is all correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
wasn't that where the folks burned to a crisper in the artists compound that had not been inspected in 25 years? I guess you would love to live next to that place?
update, another building burned in oakland yesterday, it was transitional housing and 3 folks were barbecued. Building had numerous violations noted on it.....yep, great place to live
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Have you been recently?
update, another building burned in oakland yesterday, it was transitional housing and 3 folks were barbecued. Building had numerous violations noted on it.....yep, great place to live
Oakland is American bifurcation on steroids. New restaurant that I think just opened, https://www.eveswaterfront.com

It is Gotham City basically. On one hand, tons of yuppies moving in cause its the only place you can buy a house for under $800K in the Bay Area without being 30 miles from SF. The restaurant scene is going nuts, and even Uber is opening an office, although smaller than they originally stated.

On the other hand, take a trip to 90th and International and it is like Beruit. You have a core mix of mexican gang bangers and black gang bangers that aren't going anywhere and you have the most corrupt police and fire union on the planet to bleed the city of every penny.

All that being said, money always seems to win the gentrification wars IMHO. This is the ultimate test though.

I live there 12 years and had enough of it, and I lived at the top of the hill far away from the hood. This is the view I used to have from my house. Downtown Oakland is on the left, SF is on the right.
Attachments
RETSImageServer.aspx.jpeg
RETSImageServer.aspx.jpeg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 938 times
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

kewl view!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: Yeah, shame to see them leave Oaktown.
Have you been recently?
Oakland is American bifurcation on steroids. New restaurant that I think just opened, https://www.eveswaterfront.com

It is Gotham City basically. On one hand, tons of yuppies moving in cause its the only place you can buy a house for under $800K in the Bay Area without being 30 miles from SF. The restaurant scene is going nuts, and even Uber is opening an office, although smaller than they originally stated.

On the other hand, take a trip to 90th and International and it is like Beruit. You have a core mix of mexican gang bangers and black gang bangers that aren't going anywhere and you have the most corrupt police and fire union on the planet to bleed the city of every penny.

All that being said, money always seems to win the gentrification wars IMHO. This is the ultimate test though.

I live there 12 years and had enough of it, and I lived at the top of the hill far away from the hood. This is the view I used to have from my house. Downtown Oakland is on the left, SF is on the right.
Very nice!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

But as long as there are willing cities that will subsidize these stadiums it's a bad business move not to consider moving. I wish cities wouldn't take on these costs. I don't think the stats warrant enough economic benefit relative to these investments.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

But as long as there are willing cities that will subsidize these stadiums it's a bad business move not to consider moving. I wish cities wouldn't take on these costs. I don't think the stats warrant enough economic benefit relative to these investments.
Yep. Any any current NFL city without a shiny new stadium better be on notice to pony up tax money or see their team move.. Looking at you Jacksonville, Buffalo, Shithole concrete thing in Landover, Md, Green Bay, etc.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Yep. Any any current NFL city without a shiny new stadium better be on notice to pony up tax money or see their team move.. Looking at you Jacksonville, Buffalo, Shithole concrete thing in Landover, Md, Green Bay, etc.
I don't think the packers are moving, big problem, team is owned by individuals and not one super rich dude
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I don't think the packers are moving, big problem, team is owned by individuals and not one super rich dude
But what if it could make the owners another nickel?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

They won't move...they will just get the taxpayers to pay to replace lambeau or threaten to move to San Antonio
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

But what if it could make the owners another nickel?

My gut says they're not in it for the money, but because they love the Packers. Move the team, no more love for it. It's a unique situation that is very successful b/c of that uniqueness.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Reminds me of the line from BASEketball: "the Raiders moved from Oakland to LA and back to Oakland. Nobody in LA seemed to notice".
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

They won't move...they will just get the taxpayers to pay to replace lambeau or threaten to move to San Antonio
I suppose some day Lambeau will be replaced, perhaps out of necessity but I don't think that's something that the owners will ever clamor for... That's almost like suggesting to replace Wrigley Field. The first step will always be to renovate the existing rather than replace.