Who are the Pubs that oppose the border wall?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
I85hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Independent

Who are the Pubs that oppose the border wall?

Post by I85hokie »

We can assume every Dem opposes it, but they don't have the votes to shut down the government over it by themselves.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Who are the Pubs that oppose the border wall?

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I85hokie wrote:We can assume every Dem opposes it, but they don't have the votes to shut down the government over it by themselves.
All of the ones that are controlled by the Chamber of Commerce & Club for Growth. I saw Thom Tillis last night on Tucker and he said he opposes it but could not give a good reason for why.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

I85hokie wrote:We can assume every Dem opposes it, but they don't have the votes to shut down the government over it by themselves.
Yes they can. Need 60 votes in the senate to pass a budget.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
That's what I thought. They need more than a simple majority.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I guess I'm confused. Why can't they use reconciliation? I thought the whole point of the budget reconciliation was to prevent filibustering budgets?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
miles

Post by miles »

Once again, time is approaching for the nuclear option.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

A RINO leads the house, two-faced phoney.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

awesome guy wrote:A RINO leads the house, two-faced phoney.
Whose wife is a very rich Democrat lobbyist.

Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

From this article....

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/news/ec ... ces-trump/

"Between January and November of 2016, $24.6 billion flowed back to the pockets of Mexicans from friends and relatives living overseas, according to Mexico's central".

International remittance is such a perfect trough to hit to pay for the way.

A new tax of 1% is $250M a year. There's your wall money. Keep collecting until the wall is paid for, then use the tax for maintenance and guards.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
I85hokie
Party: Independent

Post by I85hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
I guess I'm confused. Why can't they use reconciliation? I thought the whole point of the budget reconciliation was to prevent filibustering budgets?
Yeah, didn't they try to use reconciliation with the Obama replacement? As I recall, that bill targeted funding rather than structural changes to the law, hence it qualified as reconciliation and would have been filibuster-proof had it made it out of the House. If something as complex as health care can fall under reconciliation, you'd think something as simple as funding a construction project would as well.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
That's what they are doing - reconciliation and CR. But they can only do so much in that format.

Repubs need to get off their butts and put together a full budget and run it through the paces. Make the Dems kill it and publicize why they are doing it
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

I've really been disappointed in Ryan. I thought he would be 1) better prepared to take the reins of full power or 2) be willing to work with Trump.

It seems he is fighting against Trump on everything.
miles

Post by miles »

133743Hokie wrote:
I've really been disappointed in Ryan. I thought he would be 1) better prepared to take the reins of full power or 2) be willing to work with Trump.

All of the democrats and rinos and professional beltway felchers are fighting against Trump on everything.
This may be a fight to the death.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:

Yep, he's exposing himself as an establishment, me first schmuck. Time for him to go.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Pearce in NM, Hurd in TX, Cruz in TX, Cornyn in TX, McSally in AZ, McCain in AZ, Flake in AZ. Maybe Trump could start by working with the border Congressmen to see what they think is the best form of border security....
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

miles wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

All of the democrats and rinos and professional beltway felchers are fighting against Trump on everything.
If past performance is any indicator, Trump will fail. This is where being an asshole to everyone makes things difficult to get things done. Shame.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Pearce in NM, Hurd in TX, Cruz in TX, Cornyn in TX, McSally in AZ, McCain in AZ, Flake in AZ. Maybe Trump could start by working with the border Congressmen to see what they think is the best form of border security....
Why is Cruz against it? Do we need to tap our Energy secretary to put on his smart glasses and stare at him?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Why is Cruz against it? Do we need to tap our Energy secretary to put on his smart glasses and stare at him?
Mostly on fiscal reasons, he doesn't want to increase the budget to pay for it and he isn't taking an IOU from the WH to have it repaid at a later date.
miles

Post by miles »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

If past performance is any indicator, Trump will fail. This is where being an asshole to everyone makes things difficult to get things done. Shame.
Awesome post bro
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

miles wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Awesome post bro
There's a lot more truth to this than the notion that ESPN is in decline due to Bruce Jenner coverage. How did health care go?
miles

Post by miles »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Awesome post bro
There's a lot more truth to this than the notion that ESPN is in decline due to Bruce Jenner coverage. How did health care go?
If the 2016 election results are any indication, once again you are wrong to assume conclusions before results.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:

I felt like it would be more of the same when he was chosen to be the next speaker. My feeling was right. He's a gutless pussy.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I felt like it would be more of the same when he was chosen to be the next speaker. My feeling was right. He's a gutless pussy.
I said on here all of last year that I wasn't worried about Trump being elected because the Dems and a lot of the Repubs would be against him, keeping him in check, and certainly stop anything crazy he wants to do. I felt he would be less dangerous than Hillary, because she would have the lockstep backing of the Dems (it's always party first for them) as well as those RINO/squishy Repubs in both houses.

However, I had no inkling that the republicans would have so mush infighting, in addition to the magnitude of internal push-back they have given Trump on issues that have been always part of their core -- immigration, Obamacare, tax reform, budget, etc. They are wasting such an opportunity to bring this country back to its traditional center. Sad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I said on here all of last year that I wasn't worried about Trump being elected because the Dems and a lot of the Repubs would be against him, keeping him in check, and certainly stop anything crazy he wants to do. I felt he would be less dangerous than Hillary, because she would have the lockstep backing of the Dems (it's always party first for them) as well as those RINO/squishy Repubs in both houses.

However, I had no inkling that the republicans would have so mush infighting, in addition to the magnitude of internal push-back they have given Trump on issues that have been always part of their core -- immigration, Obamacare, tax reform, budget, etc. They are wasting such an opportunity to bring this country back to its traditional center. Sad.
I had the same thoughts and am mad at the establishment GOP for screwing us over. They need to be primaried out.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

yep, you expressed my disgust perfectly