Budget

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Budget

Post by 133743Hokie »

How can this bloated budget not include funding for the wall? $1.6B, just 0.1% of the budget and they couldn't do it. They've funded sensors and drones, and fence replacement, but almost no new concrete wall! When the democrats take congress next January that will be the end of any chance to fund and build the wall. Ryan and McConnell dont care (I truly think they would prefer to be the minority party and just oppose things vs. actually make things happen).Trump needs to veto this and tell congress and the country specifically why -- inadequate funding for his key agenda item, the wall.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/22/whats ... ding-bill/.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... al-budget/
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Budget

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:How can this bloated budget not include funding for the wall? $1.6B, just 0.1% of the budget and they couldn't do it. They've funded sensors and drones, and fence replacement, but almost no new concrete wall! When the democrats take congress next January that will be the end of any chance to fund and build the wall. Ryan and McConnell dont care (I truly think they would prefer to be the minority party and just oppose things vs. actually make things happen).Trump needs to veto this and tell congress and the country specifically why -- inadequate funding for his key agenda item, the wall.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/22/whats ... ding-bill/.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... al-budget/
Agreed.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Or veto it because it's bloated and spends more money than the democrats' wildest dreams ...
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

This thing is looking worse and worse the more I read about it.

I'm concerned Trump is going to sign this abomination. This is one of the few things I had reservation about - that he would be willing to "deal" even when the deal is terrible. I'm sure the pubs are telling him that they need all this money to get reelected and need it signed now so they can focus on the campaign trail to save the House and Senate, while they're really f*cking him in the details. The fact that there's basically nothing for border security is telling.

Trump was brought in to drain the swamp. This is a swamp stimulus bill.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:This thing is looking worse and worse the more I read about it.

I'm concerned Trump is going to sign this abomination. This is one of the few things I had reservation about - that he would be willing to "deal" even when the deal is terrible. I'm sure the pubs are telling him that they need all this money to get reelected and need it signed now so they can focus on the campaign trail to save the House and Senate, while they're really f*cking him in the details. The fact that there's basically nothing for border security is telling.

If he signs this thing, then for the first time I will be legitimately concerned about his impeachment. Because if this passes, then the GOP just wrote their own death warrant and the Dems will take the House. Impeachment hearings will begin within a year of the new congress and the rest of Trump's Presidency will be toast. He has no idea how dangerous this bill really is.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:This thing is looking worse and worse the more I read about it.

If he signs this thing, then for the first time I will be legitimately concerned about his impeachment. Because if this passes, then the GOP just wrote their own death warrant and the Dems will take the House. Impeachment hearings will begin within a year of the new congress and the rest of Trump's Presidency will be toast. He has no idea how dangerous this bill really is.
Completely agree. The people that voted for him will see this is business as usual and that he abandoned "the wall" and he will lose their support. This will be the deal breaker for them. And the thing is, the majority of the republicans in congress don't care. They're naïve enough to think they can get re-elected. And the leadership doesn't care because they'll still be in charge of their party.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Amazing. This is a republican controlled congress and a republican bill. Yet more republican representatives voted against it than did democrat representatives; and more republican senators voted against it than did democrat senators! Are we sure this was a republican bill?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I’m pissed. The knuckleheads just turned on their base.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Trump (D-NY) is threatening to veto the bill over lack of inclusion of something for the DACA recipients.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/trump-t ... -wall.html
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:Amazing. This is a republican controlled congress and a republican bill. Yet more republican representatives voted against it than did democrat representatives; and more republican senators voted against it than did democrat senators! Are we sure this was a republican bill?
Shocker... Ryan and McConnell (and McCain and countless others) hate Trump. They always have. Think of how your resonable dem friends act now on social media post Trump. They say and do things out of character because the simple hate for him is so strong. Same here. Ryan forwards a bill that funds Sanctuary Cities? are you fracking kidding me? this is a democrat wet dream and Trump will sign it- and lose in 2018 and lose in 2020.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

BigDave wrote:Trump (D-NY) is threatening to veto the bill over lack of inclusion of something for the DACA recipients.

He’s said because DACA wasn’t taken care of and no wall funding. I hope he follows through.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:Amazing. This is a republican controlled congress and a republican bill. Yet more republican representatives voted against it than did democrat representatives; and more republican senators voted against it than did democrat senators! Are we sure this was a republican bill?
Because the party is a joke. With that said, it is nice to see some disagreement within a party, however, that should result in leadership that creates a bill that the party can agree to.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
BigDave wrote:Trump (D-NY) is threatening to veto the bill over lack of inclusion of something for the DACA recipients.

He’s said because DACA wasn’t taken care of and no wall funding. I hope he follows through.
Not calling it 4D chess, but I think Trump’s exasperations over DACA are a rouse to help minority support. I hope he follows through and vetoes it.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

Not calling it 4D chess, but I think Trump’s exasperations over DACA are a rouse to help minority support. I hope he follows through and vetoes it.
it is a useless gesture though, his veto will be overridden
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

There are enough votes to override a veto?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:

There are enough votes to override a veto?

I would think there is no problem doing that, all the dems are voting for it and all the rinos (which is most of the moron repubs)
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Rand Paul tweets as he reads the Omnibus bill.
(MB)

"1. On page 207. 2000+ pages to go! Reading about the ever wasteful $6 billion National Science Foundation.

2. Remember the $350,000 NSF spent asking if japanese quail are more sexually promiscuous on cocaine?

3. Reading this monstrous bill full of grant programs begun decades ago reminds me of Reagan’s critique: the nearest thing to immortality is a government program.

Page 226 of terrible, no good, rotten deficit spending bill.

I found a kernel of hope: “no funds in this act will be used to support or justify torture."

Page 240 good news for states rights:

no funds will be spent to prevent any state’s medical marijuana initiatives.

Thank you Congr. Rohrbacher

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

$961 million to destroy our chemical weapons. Who was it, exactly, who convinced our government to pay billions to develop weapons we now find deplorable?

Here are a few more highlights:

o $1m for the Cultural Antiquities Task Force
o $6.25m for the Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation
o $20m for Countering Foreign State Propaganda
o $12m for Countering State Disinformation and Pressure

o $5m for Vietnam Education Foundation Grants
o $2.579m for Commission on Security and Co-operation in Europe
o $15m to USAID for promoting international higher education between universities
o $2.696bn for International Disaster Assistance

o $1.371bn for Contributions to International Organizations
o $51m to promote International Family Planning and Reproductive Health
o $7m promoting International Conservation
o $10m for UN Environmental Programs

o $1m for the World Meteorological Organization
o $218m for Promoting Democracy Development in Europe (yep..the birthplace of democracy needs promoting)
o $25m for International Religious Freedom
o $10m for disadvantaged Egyptian Students

o $12m for Scholarships for Lebanon
o $20m for Middle East Partnership Initiative Scholarship Program
o $12m in military funding for Vietnam
o $3.5m in nutrition assistance to Laos
o $15m in Developmental assistance to China
o $10m for Women LEOs in Afghanistan

on page 355. NSA prohibited from targeting US persons with FISA 702 program.

sounds good —but — privacy advocates fear that NSA still does back-door targeting of US persons.

Courageous Senator Wyden has asked how many US persons caught up in supposedly foreign data base.

But Brennan and Clapper too busy spewing hatred of Trump to respond to legitimate requests.

Page 357. Sec. 8116 no funds can be used in Iraq in contravention of the War Powers Act

sounds good but . . . haven’t we been back in Iraq at war against new foes without any new congressional authorization?

Page 348 of terrible, rotten, no-good budget busting bill, a nugget that I wish we obeyed

sec. 8103: none of the funds may be used in contravention of the War Powers Act

hmm . . . that would mean we shouldn’t be spending $ in undeclared wars in Yemen, Libya, Niger, Somalia, Afghanistan

wonder why the party that talks about the rule of law, doesn’t obey the rule of law?

and I’m STILL reading. This bill is no @bradthor thriller.

Page 365:

Overseas contingency operations. aka military slush fund that circumvents budget caps.

All told, we’ve spent over a trillion dollars in this budget busting category.

Page 376 of terrible, rotten, no-good budget busting bill:

I found it! I found it! Border security, what President Trump wanted!

no . . .wait a minute section says Defense can spend what funds it dete

eyes getting tired but really someone should read this beast.

Page 392 sec 9007: no $ shall be spent “for the permanent stationing of US forces in Afghanistan”

Wonder what they meant by permanent? Some might argue that after 16 years we approaching the definition of permanent.

Page 430 of “crumni-bus:” Good news. The government is going to “earn” $350 million by selling oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Bad news is the $ won’t go to reduce the $21 trillion debt. The $ will be instead be spent elsewhere by the Federal government.

Page 447: a little over $30 billion for Dept of Energy

Wonder if anyone would notice if we had no Dept of Energy

Put oversight of nuclear waste in DOD and let supply & demand be our Energy policy

Page 485: No $ used by the IRS to target citizens for exercising 1st amendment rights.

Do you think Lois Lerner knew about this part of the law before she targeted Tea Party group

page 550:

$9 billion for Govt Services Admin that oversees federal properties

Fed government spends $1.7 billion a year to maintain 770,000 empty buildings while continuing to buy new properties.

General Services Administration database of properties for sale is not available to public, Congress or other federal agencies.

Govt Acctbility Office says govt continues to hold more property than it needs.

No matter. . .this year the big spenders still give GSA big $

Page 580:

Post Office gets $58 million but only if it promises not to close down small, underutilized, money-losing post offices.

Page 587:

No $ for the President to request FBI background report on any individual.

If we had amendments, this would be a good place to add no $ for partisan hacks in the Intel community to unmask any American without a judicial warrant.

Page 594 sec 626: No $ to require disclosure of content of an electronic communication.

Good amendment here. It would be to also protect forced disclosure of metadata, ie phone #’s and identities of the phone callers.

I shared 600 pages tonight. I’m done tweeting them for the evening. If they insist on voting, I will vote no because it spends to much and there’s just too little time to read the bill and let everyone know what’s actually in it.

Thanks for sticking with me

Victory for conservatives today is that all of America now knows what a budget busting bomb this bill is. Hopefully, today’s battle will embolden conservatives to descend on Congress and demand Constitutional government." - Senator Paul on Twitter
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I read somewhere that the bill includes military aid to Vietnam....lol, wtf.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:I read somewhere that the bill includes military aid to Vietnam....lol, wtf.
Look at the Rand list.....a whopping $12M.

What a waste......

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieHam wrote:Rand Paul tweets as he reads the Omnibus bill.
(MB)

"1. On page 207. 2000+ pages to go! Reading about the ever wasteful $6 billion National Science Foundation.

2. Remember the $350,000 NSF spent asking if japanese quail are more sexually promiscuous on cocaine?

3. Reading this monstrous bill full of grant programs begun decades ago reminds me of Reagan’s critique: the nearest thing to immortality is a government program.

I found a kernel of hope: “no funds in this act will be used to support or justify torture."

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

$961 million to destroy our chemical weapons. Who was it, exactly, who convinced our government to pay billions to develop weapons we now find deplorable?

o $15m to USAID for promoting international higher education between universities

o $218m for Promoting Democracy Development in Europe (yep..the birthplace of democracy needs promoting)

sounds good —but — privacy advocates fear that NSA still does back-door targeting of US persons.

Courageous Senator Wyden has asked how many US persons caught up in supposedly foreign data base.

But Brennan and Clapper too busy spewing hatred of Trump to respond to legitimate requests.

Page 357. Sec. 8116 no funds can be used in Iraq in contravention of the War Powers Act

sounds good but . . . haven’t we been back in Iraq at war against new foes without any new congressional authorization?

Page 348 of terrible, rotten, no-good budget busting bill, a nugget that I wish we obeyed

hmm . . . that would mean we shouldn’t be spending $ in undeclared wars in Yemen, Libya, Niger, Somalia, Afghanistan

wonder why the party that talks about the rule of law, doesn’t obey the rule of law?

Page 365:

Overseas contingency operations. aka military slush fund that circumvents budget caps.

Page 392 sec 9007: no $ shall be spent “for the permanent stationing of US forces in Afghanistan”

Wonder what they meant by permanent? Some might argue that after 16 years we approaching the definition of permanent.

Page 430 of “crumni-bus:” Good news. The government is going to “earn” $350 million by selling oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Bad news is the $ won’t go to reduce the $21 trillion debt. The $ will be instead be spent elsewhere by the Federal government.

Put oversight of nuclear waste in DOD and let supply & demand be our Energy policy

Page 485: No $ used by the IRS to target citizens for exercising 1st amendment rights.

Do you think Lois Lerner knew about this part of the law before she targeted Tea Party group

page 550:

Fed government spends $1.7 billion a year to maintain 770,000 empty buildings while continuing to buy new properties.

General Services Administration database of properties for sale is not available to public, Congress or other federal agencies.

Page 580:

Post Office gets $58 million but only if it promises not to close down small, underutilized, money-losing post offices.

Page 587:

If we had amendments, this would be a good place to add no $ for partisan hacks in the Intel community to unmask any American without a judicial warrant.

Page 594 sec 626: No $ to require disclosure of content of an electronic communication.

Good amendment here. It would be to also protect forced disclosure of metadata, ie phone #’s and identities of the phone callers.

I shared 600 pages tonight. I’m done tweeting them for the evening. If they insist on voting, I will vote no because it spends to much and there’s just too little time to read the bill and let everyone know what’s actually in it.

Victory for conservatives today is that all of America now knows what a budget busting bomb this bill is. Hopefully, today’s battle will embolden conservatives to descend on Congress and demand Constitutional government." - Senator Paul on Twitter
Thanks, there is some great stuff in here!
Who was it, exactly, who convinced our government to pay billions to develop weapons we now find deplorable?
Page 392 sec 9007: no $ shall be spent “for the permanent stationing of US forces in Afghanistan ”Wonder what they meant by permanent?
Win for states rights was in there somewhere. All in all some funny stuff from Paul.
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

(MB)

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

Page 365:

page 550:

Page 580:

Page 587:

but but there is zero waste when nice politicians decide how to waste other peoples money......more takers, less and less givers.... yes, if the planet survives the climate going nuts we are doomed anyways, at least in the USA. Sooner or later the funds will not be there anymore...chaos to ensue
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
(MB)

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

Page 365:

page 550:

Page 580:

Page 587:

but but there is zero waste when nice politicians decide how to waste other peoples money......more takers, less and less givers.... yes, if the planet survives the climate going nuts we are doomed anyways, at least in the USA. Sooner or later the funds will not be there anymore...chaos to ensue
Thanks a lot Obama!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
(MB)

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

Page 365:

page 550:

Page 580:

Page 587:

Thanks a lot Obama!

Like he didn’t help in the current situation?

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
(MB)

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

Page 365:

page 550:

Page 580:

Page 587:

Thanks a lot Obama!

for what? Obummer had no issue spending other peoples money
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
(MB)

Page 278. (1954 to go!)

Page 365:

page 550:

Page 580:

Page 587:

Thanks a lot Obama!

Like he didn’t help in the current situation?
I thought the swamp was gonna get drained?