Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

McAfee, Hackers can steal bank accounts on website

Post by Techmomof2 »

http://rightlinksblog.com/2013/10/14/mc ... enrollees/

So, the Obamacare websites don’t have any way to protect the data that you put up when you enroll?

Computer genius John McAfee has dropped a bombshell on Obamacare enrollees warning Fox News in the video below that Obamacare websites have no way at all to protect those who enroll from hackers robbing their bank accounts blind.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: McAfee, Hackers can steal bank accounts on website

Post by VoiceOfReason »

McAfee says it would be easy for a hacker to make a fake website that looks like the ACA site, request information like bank accounts and passwords and the drain your account. This is what is refered to in the industry as a spoofing attack.

Of course, this is already commonly done by spoofers using your bank logo or Ebay or Paypal. The bottom line in protecting yourself is NEVER giving out your financial credentials to anyone... not even the government.

I could say the same thing about the RNC website. It would be easy for spoofers to mimic the RNC website and rob you blind. So, of course, the only conclusion one can draw is never donate any money to the GOP!!!

C'mon now, the ACA website has plenty of problems... FOX really does not need to make stuff up.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

I don't think McAfee is making it up. On the Obamacare website, all of your contact and financial info will be in one place. Easy pickings.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/27/technol ... me/?iid=EL
VoiceOfReason wrote:McAfee says it would be easy for a hacker to make a fake website that looks like the ACA site, request information like bank accounts and passwords and the drain your account. This is what is refered to in the industry as a spoofing attack.

Of course, this is already commonly done by spoofers using your bank logo or Ebay or Paypal. The bottom line in protecting yourself is NEVER giving out your financial credentials to anyone... not even the government.

I could say the same thing about the RNC website. It would be easy for spoofers to mimic the RNC website and rob you blind. So, of course, the only conclusion one can draw is never donate any money to the GOP!!!

C'mon now, the ACA website has plenty of problems... FOX really does not need to make stuff up.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

http://www.finance.senate.gov/newsroom/ ... 44da710f96

To Sebelius:

“The standards proposed by your Department could result in a convicted felon receiving federal dollars and gaining access to confidential taxpayer information. The same standards allow any individual who has registered with the exchange and completed two days of training to facilitate enrollment, as if the decision to purchase health insurance is similar to the decision of registering to vote,” wrote the Senators. “The unreasonably low standard for becoming a navigator not only undermines the state’s ability to ensure consumers are protected but raises questions about the appropriate use of federal resources and the protection of highly sensitive consumer information.”
Techmomof2

Obama Navigators, no background checks and full access

Post by Techmomof2 »

http://benswann.com/obamacare-navigator ... nd-checks/

When individuals sign up for federal insurance exchanges, they are required to enter their personal information into a new Federal Data Hub. We are talking about information like medical records, Social Security numbers, tax information, and bank account information. This is done by allowing seven government agencies, including the IRS, Department of Justice, Social Security Administration and others, to share and verify information in order to determine eligibility for an insurance subsidy.

In short, basically everything about you will be shared among multiple agencies. Remember, no actually agency can see or access any information, people working in those agencies do. So who, specifically, will be able to access this information?

They are called Navigators.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Techmomof2 wrote:I don't think McAfee is making it up. On the Obamacare website, all of your contact and financial info will be in one place. Easy pickings.
VoiceOfReason wrote:McAfee says it would be easy for a hacker to make a fake website that looks like the ACA site, request information like bank accounts and passwords and the drain your account. This is what is refered to in the industry as a spoofing attack.

Correct. But McAfee isn't saying that hackers can get the info from the ACA website. He is saying they can get it by tricking you into thinking that you are on the ACA website when entering the data.
Which is something that happens all the time, with lots of different websites.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:I don't think McAfee is making it up. On the Obamacare website, all of your contact and financial info will be in one place. Easy pickings.

Correct. But McAfee isn't saying that hackers can get the info from the ACA website. He is saying they can get it by tricking you into thinking that you are on the ACA website when entering the data.
I'm sure the site is wide open as well. This thing stinks of duct tape and bubble gum holding it together.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:Correct. But McAfee isn't saying that hackers can get the info from the ACA website. He is saying they can get it by tricking you into thinking that you are on the ACA website when entering the data.
Meh it would be easy to tell if you're on a fake ACA website or the actual healthcare.gov site...the fake website would be actually working.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.