MSNBC having a cow about indian names.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

MSNBC having a cow about indian names.

Post by oaktonhokie »

North Dakota fighting Sioux is offensive.

They are in the process of changing it. Maybe the fighting SUE. A big fat girl eating a twinkie and beating up little girls in pig tails.

The fighting Sioux is offensive? You think the university wanted a nickname, a mascot that was not bold, brave and strong? A nickname that was not admirable?

Nicknames, sheeesch.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: MSNBC having a cow about indian names.

Post by USN_Hokie »

This whole fiasco is so contrived. This was non-existant a month ago and there was no incident to instigate it.

I wonder if any of the people squawking talking points and poll numbers like parrots have stopped to think about how theyre being used to serve the interests of people whom they thought served them.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:North Dakota fighting Sioux is offensive.

They are in the process of changing it. Maybe the fighting SUE. A big fat girl eating a twinkie and beating up little girls in pig tails.

The fighting Sioux is offensive? You think the university wanted a nickname, a mascot that was not bold, brave and strong? A nickname that was not admirable?

Nicknames, sheeesch.
I'm generally in the 'meh' camp. Of all of the Indian mascots out there, I think the only one that could be offensive and categorized as a slur is Redskins. If my favorite sports teams change their name, that won't make me cheer for them any less, though.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Me too. Much ado about nothing.

If the fighting Sioux is offensive, is the name Vikings offensive to norweigans (or whatever). Was the name Vikings chosen to disparage a bunch of drunken, murdering pillaging ruffians?

How about cowboys?

Nicknames are a sign of respect for the Sioux, the Vikings or the cowboys.

Redskins as I understand it was chosen to honor the coach (?) of the team when it moved to dc. And iirc, called himself a redskin. No offense intended, none taken.

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:North Dakota fighting Sioux is offensive.

Nicknames, sheeesch.
I'm generally in the 'meh' camp. Of all of the Indian mascots out there, I think the only one that could be offensive and categorized as a slur is Redskins. If my favorite sports teams change their name, that won't make me cheer for them any less, though.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.