the collapse of civilzation

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

the collapse of civilzation

Post by awesome guy »

Warning, this link will claim to be associated with music, but you won't' find much in it.

link

When will this type of act finally run it's course and we send the "artist" to rehab instead of the center stage? I'm no longer shocked or amused by it, does that mean it can end?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: the collapse of civilzation

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:When will this type of act finally run it's course and we send the "artist" to rehab instead of the center stage? I'm no longer shocked or amused by it, does that mean it can end?
It's more than that. When certain people scream from the hills that there are gender equity issues and we have a culture that objectifies women, yet they sit idly by while MTV happily promotes the objectification of any number of women stars.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:When will this type of act finally run it's course and we send the "artist" to rehab instead of the center stage? I'm no longer shocked or amused by it, does that mean it can end?
It's more than that. When certain people scream from the hills that there are gender equity issues and we have a culture that objectifies women, yet they sit idly by while MTV happily promotes the objectification of any number of women stars.
good point. I look at it as an adult version of Honey Boo-Boo. But instead of loading her up with sugar so she acts like a moron, it's blow and meth.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Warning, this link will claim to be associated with music, but you won't' find much in it.

link

When will this type of act finally run it's course and we send the "artist" to rehab instead of the center stage? I'm no longer shocked or amused by it, does that mean it can end?
Looking at google, you probably picked out the most benign of the pictures out there....

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Really? I don't get the objectification angle. Take Lady Gaga...her performances might be best be described as asexual.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

I didn't see it but I did see what she was wearing at the end which was almost nothing.

We can bat around the definition of objectification but, at the end of the day, if a woman wants to be a performer on MTV she's got to take off her clothes, almost exclusively. There's the occasional Adele or the girl that sang with Macklemore but those are rare. Very rare/
USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Really? I don't get the objectification angle. Take Lady Gaga...her performances might be best be described as asexual.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yea, saw a video of it this morning, that was beyond bad and the poor girl cannot sing!! She is headed down the Lindsey Lohan road. I was shocked they did not just have sex in the middle of the stage tho, or maybe Robin does not swing that way?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

awesome guy wrote:Warning, this link will claim to be associated with music, but you won't' find much in it.

link

BOTH of those outfits are hideous...
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Meh Ka-ching...

Post by Major Kong »

and the $$$$ keeps pouring in.

Plus if she goes away over ½ of b-streets material will disappear over OTOB. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Who are the people that are screaming about objectification? This isn't MTV's fault. Women have choices. It was MC's choice. I didn't see the performance, but the most shocking thing about some of the photos I've seen is the length of her hair. It's too short. Far too short.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Who are the people that are screaming about objectification? This isn't MTV's fault. Women have choices. It was MC's choice. I didn't see the performance, but the most shocking thing about some of the photos I've seen is the length of her hair. It's too short. Far too short.
Welcome over CW!
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

I didn't say MTV objectified. I said MTV promoted teh objectification. The performers are doing it to themselves.
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Think you're splitting hairs? Either way, they're showing women as objects. I don't think it matters if the artist is a willing participant or not, it's what they're showing on their network. I would hope they change course before becoming Jerry Springer with a tune. I know some will say it's what we as viewers are choosing to get. But what's the competition? Who else is targeting teens and young adults with music? Where would a teen go for music that's not sexualized? Even as an adult, I would rather have someone who can sing like Adele than the Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/Miley Cirus acts that are just sexualized, synthesized music. And they really aren't sexy, just explicit. Lady Gaga is the worst of the lot, she has no detectable musical talent and is a two bagger. Seems like we would get sexy since we're not getting enjoyable music.
Florida Hokie wrote:I didn't say MTV objectified. I said MTV promoted teh objectification. The performers are doing it to themselves.
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

I don't want to go too far down this path but Lady Gaga, in fact, is an accomplished musician. She doesn't really choose to show that however.
awesome guy wrote:Think you're splitting hairs? Either way, they're showing women as objects. I don't think it matters if the artist is a willing participant or not, it's what they're showing on their network. I would hope they change course before becoming Jerry Springer with a tune. I know some will say it's what we as viewers are choosing to get. But what's the competition? Who else is targeting teens and young adults with music? Where would a teen go for music that's not sexualized? Even as an adult, I would rather have someone who can sing like Adele than the Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/Miley Cirus acts that are just sexualized, synthesized music. And they really aren't sexy, just explicit. Lady Gaga is the worst of the lot, she has no detectable musical talent and is a two bagger. Seems like we would get sexy since we're not getting enjoyable music.
Florida Hokie wrote:I didn't say MTV objectified. I said MTV promoted teh objectification. The performers are doing it to themselves.
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Isn't someone supposed to say that this is nbd? That it is merely artists....artists reflecting what already exists....?

See, it's ok.

Art reflecting life.

link

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:I don't want to go too far down this path but Lady Gaga, in fact, is an accomplished musician. She doesn't really choose to show that however.
Fair enough Brother FloHo. I'll defer to the opinion of you guys with musical skills. Maybe you can contact her about a duet of Poker face with a harmonica?
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

I don't want to poke her face with anything!

Ba-dum-PA!
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:I don't want to go too far down this path but Lady Gaga, in fact, is an accomplished musician. She doesn't really choose to show that however.
Fair enough Brother FloHo. I'll defer to the opinion of you guys with musical skills. Maybe you can contact her about a duet of Poker face with a harmonica?