Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Gov.orders Confederate flag removed from VA license plat

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:The most offensive plate VA offers:

:)

I'd say this is. The Governor from NY is A ok with plates that represent legalized murder to over half of the citizens of the commonwealth, but has butt ache over one that same majority thinks represents heritage. He's just codifying his own morals, typical liberal.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:I haven't followed the topics on the flag super closely (mainly because it doesn't matter much to me) but wasn't one of the points made that states should decide how to handle it? It seems like that's happening and now people are upset because the state didn't decide how to handle it in the way they wanted it handled?
I want the people of the State to handle it not some politician to make some willy nilly decision based on politics, public opinion and fiat.
We have a representative democracy.

unfortunately true. Was supposed to be a democratic republic. You guys have successfully moved us to mob rule via elected representatives.
They aren't mutually exclusive, and we still have both, our voters just don't seem to care when the govt takes more power from them.
They only care if it's the opposing party does so.

Don't matter, once the freedom is lost, it's lost. On rare occasions do we regain it, like the courts coming to their senses on gun regulations and rolling back 2nd amendment infringements. Maybe they will to on assaults on the 1st via forcing businesses to participate in gay weddings or other activities against their conscience. But those rights are eroded now where as they should be protected under a republic.
See, you just did it. You mentioned something that occurred under the Obama admin. How about all the liberties taken away under the Bush admin, a few of which were luckily restored by the courts.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:See, you just did it. You mentioned something that occurred under the Obama admin. How about all the liberties taken away under the Bush admin, a few of which were luckily restored by the courts.
you're still describing erosion, just a slower paced erosion.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

BigDave wrote:I have no idea if the SCV will challenge McAwful's decision here or will just go with it, but I'm not convinced that the reasoning would apply.

Virginia's law singles out the Sons of Confederate Veterans and says that they, by name, are not allowed to incorporate any logo into their plate:

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp50 ... 6.2-746.22

If the Sons of Confederate Veterans had a picture of a blue duck in their logo, they would not be allowed to use it. If their logo was a rainbow-colored triangle, they would not be allowed to use it.

Does the Texas law work that way or does it empower a commission to determine whether the plate is okay and that commission said no you can't have a confederate flag?

If the Texas ruling was based on a commission, rather than the law spelling out the organization by name, then the Supreme Court ruling has nothing whatsoever to do with the Virginia case.
I'm curious if any of the lawyers here have considered what I wrote.

The Texas process has a commission whose job it is to accept or reject plates. (That commission rejected the confederate plate.)

Virginia's law says that the Sons of Confederate Veterans, by name, cannot create a plate that has their organization's logo on it.

If a college fraternity in Virginia incorporated the confederate flag into their logo and met the other requirements for a plate (enough signatures, etc), then they would be issued the plate.

Only the Sons of Confederate Veterans are excluded from incorporating ANY logo on the plate. If they changed their logo to be a blue duck, they could not incorporate it.

Can any thinking person please explain how the ruling from the court is at all applicable? The governor is willfully disregarding a court order.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:See, you just did it. You mentioned something that occurred under the Obama admin. How about all the liberties taken away under the Bush admin, a few of which were luckily restored by the courts.
So? If you only bitch about erosion when the party you oppose is in charge, then we will always have it.
And when we allow politicians to be bought by lobbyists and PACs, we will always have it.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
So? If you only bitch about erosion when the party you oppose is in charge, then we will always have it.
And when we allow politicians to be bought by lobbyists and PACs, we will always have it.

Maybe you didn't notice, but you're the only one making this a partisan issue. Think that might lead to partisan discussions instead of discussions of the issues?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

McAuliffe ought not to be outlawing license plates. The man ought to be in prison making license plates.

Next thing you know, there'll be a law against helping a standing president selling military secrets to communist china for personal gain.
What's the world coming to!?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
So? If you only bitch about erosion when the party you oppose is in charge
, then we will always have it.

Maybe you didn't notice, but you're the only one making this a partisan issue. Think that might lead to partisan discussions instead of discussions of the issues?
It is a partisan issue, because this country has too many partisan sheep that secede power to their favored party like obedient dopes.
It happens to Dems and Pubs, and they happily march into oblivion.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Delete
Last edited by Major Kong on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Valencia Hokie wrote:Gonna be Uuuuuugly at some SWVA DMV offices if they have to turn in the old plates to get the new ones. Wouldn't want to be behind that counter.
Meh I live in Smyth County and I really don't remember seeing one but hell there are only 1,677 of the plates in the whole State.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
Valencia Hokie wrote:Gonna be Uuuuuugly at some SWVA DMV offices if they have to turn in the old plates to get the new ones. Wouldn't want to be behind that counter.
Meh I live in Smyth County and I really don't remember seeing one but hell there are only 1,677 of the plates in the whole State.

Yep, just the libs attacking ghosts. I didn't even know VA had them and have never seen them. But they're about to be a best seller!

Riverguy wins this one though, McAuliffe should be making license plates, not banning them!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Yep, just the libs attacking ghosts. I didn't even know VA had them and have never seen them. But they're about to be a best seller!

Riverguy wins this one though, McAuliffe should be making license plates, not banning them!
McAuliffe is in a huge bind. Here he spent this time & $$$ to become the Gub of VA and ride that into bigger and better things and them dastardly citizens of the Commonwealth didn't give him the General Assembly.

It's been a long time since VA has had a Gubner this quiet, Baliles maybe :?:

Hell most folks down here have forgotten he's the Gubner.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

RiverguyVT wrote:McAuliffe ought not to be outlawing license plates. The man ought to be in prison making license plates.

Next thing you know, there'll be a law against helping a standing president selling military secrets to communist china for personal gain.
Well, that would be irony - if he's in prison and is assigned to make a confederate license plate
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:McAuliffe ought not to be outlawing license plates. The man ought to be in prison making license plates.

Well, that would be irony - if he's in prison and is assigned to make a confederate license plate
he'd outsource it
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

The government may be legally able to do this, but it's still viewpoint discrimination and a very dangerous precedent to set.