Another lib says he's a fiscal conservative.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: Another lib says he's a fiscal conservative.

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RiverguyVT wrote: fiscal conservative, to you, means jacking up the tax rates. You advocate for tax rate increases a lot, yet, the evidence that rate increases actually result in increased total revenue (that's the goal, right?) is very slim. I suspect a social justice angle (screw the rich!) under the covers of your call to tax rate hikes in the name of fiscal responsibility. Because rate hikes don't necessarily lead to increases in total revenue.
Oh please. You are only processing the parts where we disagree. I have consistently advocated an approach of spending cuts to the big 3 programs (SS,Med,Defense) and tax increases. Any politician that comes to the table unwilling to discuss any of these 4 elements is simply not interested in negotiation.

I understand the difference between tax rates and tax revenues. But I think you buy into the effect of tax rates on the GDP far too much. If you think the Rs should come to the table saying tax revenue will increase without tax rate increases as the economy improves... don't be surprised if the Ds don't buy into this "magic beans" approach. They might even counter by saying SS costs will decline without making cuts because old people will die off faster than younger people will take their place. Hey yeah... let's keep doing nothing all around :mrgreen:

I do have a social justice angle... it's called "Don't screw me first"... and "Don't single me out for extra pain". I will sacrifice along with everyone else... in the same manner. I will not take one for team to save the precious "job creators" :mrgreen:
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

What about the democrats who want to restrict the rights of people?
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:When did you advocate for better candidates? Obama and Hillary are fiscal conservatives?
Do you see a problem with voting for people who want to take the property and liberty of other people?
On this board, I have consistently advocated for the GOP to nominate fiscal conservative candidates without the social issue baggage. I would love a group of candidates who want to eliminate the debt in a fair and balanced way. I don't care which party they are from.

LOL... where did I ever say O or Hill are fiscal conservatives? I do favor their social positions to the current group of GOP candidates that want the government to restrict basic rights of people that don't vote for them. :mrgreen:
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

So what are your numbers? If you were in charge, how much more money should the government have, and how much spending on ss, med, military should they cut?
VoiceOfReason wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: fiscal conservative, to you, means jacking up the tax rates. You advocate for tax rate increases a lot, yet, the evidence that rate increases actually result in increased total revenue (that's the goal, right?) is very slim. I suspect a social justice angle (screw the rich!) under the covers of your call to tax rate hikes in the name of fiscal responsibility. Because rate hikes don't necessarily lead to increases in total revenue.
Oh please. You are only processing the parts where we disagree. I have consistently advocated an approach of spending cuts to the big 3 programs (SS,Med,Defense) and tax increases. Any politician that comes to the table unwilling to discuss any of these 4 elements is simply not interested in negotiation.

I understand the difference between tax rates and tax revenues. But I think you buy into the effect of tax rates on the GDP far too much. If you think the Rs should come to the table saying tax revenue will increase without tax rate increases as the economy improves... don't be surprised if the Ds don't buy into this "magic beans" approach. They might even counter by saying SS costs will decline without making cuts because old people will die off faster than younger people will take their place. Hey yeah... let's keep doing nothing all around :mrgreen:

I do have a social justice angle... it's called "Don't screw me first"... and "Don't single me out for extra pain". I will sacrifice along with everyone else... in the same manner. I will not take one for team to save the precious "job creators" :mrgreen:
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
HokieJoe wrote: I didn’t ask a question, I made a statement. I realize why these factions of voters vote their self-interest. What I’m telling you is that that isn’t good enough. These blocs vote as if their problems are the only ones that matter. That’s the surest way for this country to fail I can think of.

Our problems aren’t relative to which side of the fence you sit on; and trying to compare the importance of the various issues you mentioned to our very dim fiscal problems is just mind-bogglingly simple-minded. Where you, I or anyone else stands on social issues is irrelevant when the economy is one bad event away from collapse. I’ll say it again: If you vote social issues over fiscal issues you need to get your head screwed on straight.
HokieJoe, WADR...

1) This is a message board. Statement or question is immaterial. People are going to respond if they want to. Sorry if you feel once you render your opinion all further discussion is immaterial :mrgreen:

2) So... you realize why people with specific self interests vote in their self interest... yet that is not good enough? Wow. Sorry if their voting habits do not align with what you determine to be your top priority. Maybe democracy is not for you :mrgreen:

3) "I’ll say it again: If you vote social issues over fiscal issues you need to get your head screwed on straight." Said with the self-assurance of a person with no stake in the game for social issues. Great for you! You can repeat this all you want and continue to be baffled as the country votes their own interests without consulting you on which issue is most important.

OR... maybe we could run some candidates that want to fix the financial problems without messing with the stupid social issues. Nah... that kind of big tent thinking would never work. Too pragmatic...
Uhh, you were the one who said "I answered my own question". I didn't ask a question- I made a statement regarding how some voters have tunnel vision when they enter the voting booth. If you're a women and you're a f r a i d that someone is going to take away you're right to an abortion, then you're probably not qualified to vote in the first place.

As for democracy, well, we aren't a democracy, (thank God) but anyway. I'm not trying to limit anyone's speech or limit their vote. I'm making the simple statement that you are an idiot if you think your little part of the 'social' universe is what's important to the long term financial health and stability of this country. I'm arguing for context and balance when choosing who you vote for.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson