Another lib says he's a fiscal conservative.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Another lib says he's a fiscal conservative.

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:It would help if most republican politicians actually wanted low taxes and low spending.
nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:This is getting old.

"I'm fiscally conservative, but I vote for Marxistts because they support gay marriage. And high taxes, and wasteful spending, stimulus packages, and trillion dollar deficits, and corrupt crony capitalism....."

Sick of libs wearing the fig leaf of "fiscal conservatism" to make people including themselves, think they are thoughtful, intelligent, non ideological patriots.

Yeah, right.

Liar.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08 ... cal-views/
Oak, there are a lot of voters who hold those views - being fiscally conservative while being socially liberal. Since the two primary political parties have taken the stances they have, voters who have strong beliefs on the two are unfortunately forced to choose one over the other. There are a bloc of such voters who don't like some of the GOP's social stances, but vote for Democrats although they would prefer lower taxes and spending.
This is true. For those that fall in the "fiscally conservative/socially liberal" demographic, it's easier to vote for Democrats when their Republican counterparts have a documented history of increasing spending, too.

That statement points out how screwed up their priorities are. They're more concerned with social issues than spending issues. This country is so doomed to fail.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

A lot depends on what they mean by "waste". If they're referring to hundreds of thousands spend on conferences... that stuff should certainly be cut, but will barely make a dent in the overall spending.
I'd consider spending anything on medicare, medicaid, social security, hundreds of billions on the military, etc to be wasteful. Unfortunately, most in the government aren't talking about that when they refer to "waste".
awesome guy wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:I'm sure there are some. But most seem to be libs who don't want to admit they're libs. Free thinking, sophisticated independents.

Or they're libs who think duh, we're spending and borrowing too much.

Or they're libs who think, duh, $17,000,000,000,000 in debt is too much.

Or libs who don't want THEIR taxes raised.

But most....most not all, are willing to suffer with the things they're against, in order to get social justice, open borders, UN policies like agenda 21, socialized medicine, gay marriage, more regulation, gun bans, unions and pc schools.

It's like we've said before re our president. Some from the left will criticize some of his policies. He's not god, he's like a demi-god. Brilliant but occasionally fallible.

So they criticize him but would never abandon him.

The social libs / fiscal cons are kinda like that. Most of them.

Marine Hokie wrote:It would help if most republican politicians actually wanted low taxes and low spending.
nolanvt wrote:

"I'm fiscally conservative, but I vote for Marxistts because they support gay marriage. And high taxes, and wasteful spending, stimulus packages, and trillion dollar deficits, and corrupt crony capitalism....."

Sick of libs wearing the fig leaf of "fiscal conservatism" to make people including themselves, think they are thoughtful, intelligent, non ideological patriots.

Yeah, right.

Liar.

Oak, there are a lot of voters who hold those views - being fiscally conservative while being socially liberal. Since the two primary political parties have taken the stances they have, voters who have strong beliefs on the two are unfortunately forced to choose one over the other. There are a bloc of such voters who don't like some of the GOP's social stances, but vote for Democrats although they would prefer lower taxes and spending.

I have them pegged as Gingrich Progressives, those that think they can make a smarter and more efficient federal bureaucracy. They get confused as conservatives because they're for shrinking the federal government, but really just the waste out of it. Not really closing the fruitless intrusions all together.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Social issues are ok to be concerned about. Unfortunately, their "solution" to social issues is backward. They want more government involvement to solve them, instead of less.
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

This is true. For those that fall in the "fiscally conservative/socially liberal" demographic, it's easier to vote for Democrats when their Republican counterparts have a documented history of increasing spending, too.

That statement points out how screwed up their priorities are. They're more concerned with social issues than spending issues. This country is so doomed to fail.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

Not necessarily. The Republicans haven't shown a commitment to reducing spending when they've had the keys to the car.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

nolanvt wrote: Oak, there are a lot of voters who hold those views - being fiscally conservative while being socially liberal. Since the two primary political parties have taken the stances they have, voters who have strong beliefs on the two are unfortunately forced to choose one over the other. There are a bloc of such voters who don't like some of the GOP's social stances, but vote for Democrats although they would prefer lower taxes and spending.
Exactly! If you think either political party's total collection of stances is in any way consistent... you are drinking WAY too much Kool Aid. I think there are MANY voters in this group who would very much give the GOP financial stances a chance... if the GOP would get off the social stances. But given the choices available... they find the GOP social issues far more odious to vote for.

IMHO, many of these social stances are hardly core values to the party (although individuals may have adopted them into their core values). For example, the anti-gay agenda was a political WINNER for the GOP for close to two decades. Now that the tide has turned, it is an albatross for the GOP.

It's the GOP's choice at this time. They can go back to their roots of being the party of fiscal sanity (that just happens to benefit the wealthy and business interests) and rebuild the big tent to give other voters reasons to vote GOP. Or... they can hold tight to these social issues that the majority of the country find offensive and in so doing... sacrifice their core mission.

It's all about the GOP right now... the Dems are just not that interesting at the moment.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieJoe wrote: That statement points out how screwed up their priorities are. They're more concerned with social issues than spending issues. This country is so doomed to fail.
What gives you the right to pass judgement on how other people prioritize things. Just because you have decided that the #1 problem with the USA is spending does not mean other people have the same priority.

And having this as their #2 or #3 priority does not mean they are big spending libs. It may mean that they value freedom and liberty (for women, gays, all peoples) above spending.

What dooms this country is the idea that neither party can give us a candidate that doesn't make us want to vomit a little in our mouths...
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

Is this the game where we paint all republicans as GWB? At the state level (where you have to actually balance a budget) at least, republicans have done a good job of cutting spending and taxes.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

Yep.

"If I don't get an extra tax deduction and pot a the Piggly Wiggly, I'm driving this country into the ditch!"
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

Not necessarily. The Republicans haven't shown a commitment to reducing spending when they've had the keys to the car.
Every Republican = GWB. It's his worst legacy. Complete BS, but perception is reality.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

So in that instance they are really socially liberal with a sprinkling of fiscal conservatism. The "social" issues are more important than the "fiscal" ones.
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, right.

Liar.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolan, look back at the last 100 years and tell me which party not just authored, but owns all of the big entitlement programs that are busting our budget right now. In fact, look at which political party has held plurality the most in both houses. Hint: it ain't the R's. Now, does that mean I like the big spending policies of the Rockefeller Republican's? Hell no. But I do know this: No way, no how is anything like Obamacare passed while the R's hold the majority. So for me it's a matter of which party ALWAYS votes for bigger government vs. which party sometimes votes for bigger government.

It's not even close. Progressive policies have set this country on an unsustainable pathway to financial ruin.

nolanvt wrote:Not necessarily. The Republicans haven't shown a commitment to reducing spending when they've had the keys to the car.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Seriously VOR? You're trying to tell me that the fake 'war on wimmenz', homosexual marriage, DADT, and pot legalization are MORE important than being $17 trillion in the hole? Really? It's time to recognize and re-prioritize. The house is burning down and these people are worried about what sort of curtains are hanging in the living room.

VoiceOfReason wrote:
HokieJoe wrote: That statement points out how screwed up their priorities are. They're more concerned with social issues than spending issues. This country is so doomed to fail.
What gives you the right to pass judgement on how other people prioritize things. Just because you have decided that the #1 problem with the USA is spending does not mean other people have the same priority.

And having this as their #2 or #3 priority does not mean they are big spending libs. It may mean that they value freedom and liberty (for women, gays, all peoples) above spending.

What dooms this country is the idea that neither party can give us a candidate that doesn't make us want to vomit a little in our mouths...
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

I don't necessarily ignore social issues, I just put them in the proper context. We have big picture problems. Problems that don't discriminate based on race or sexual preference- they effect everyone.

Marine Hokie wrote:Social issues are ok to be concerned about. Unfortunately, their "solution" to social issues is backward. They want more government involvement to solve them, instead of less.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:So in that instance they are really socially liberal with a sprinkling of fiscal conservatism. The "social" issues are more important than the "fiscal" ones.
Yes, you got it. Because for those where the "fiscal" issues are the priority, they just call themselves Rs. No need for the "social Liberal" distinction.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieJoe wrote:Seriously VOR? You're trying to tell me that the fake 'war on wimmenz', homosexual marriage, DADT, and pot legalization are MORE important than being $17 trillion in the hole? Really? It's time to recognize and re-prioritize. The house is burning down and these people are worried about what sort of curtains are hanging in the living room.
Yes, seriously... to some people. Just because YOU think the problem in this country is free spending liberals does not mean the country agrees with you. Even if they would like to see balanced budgets. Some people think the #1 problem in politics today is radical social conservative agenda. Just like back in the 1980's many people thought the #1 problem was fat union bosses and litigious trial attorneys.

Think about it this way...
1) If you are a young woman who is not saving herself for marriage (you know, the kind of women we wanted to meet when we were in college)... would you want to vote for a candidate that thinks the government should intervene if you got yourself in trouble? Would you favor a party that preaches counseling abstinence over birth control?

2) If you are gay or lesbian... why on earth would you ever vote for a R? Honestly...

3) If you are a legal immigrant from Mexico or South America... and you have family back home... why would you ever vote for the party that preaches building bigger walls and increasing border patrols and deportations?

4) If you are African American, why would you vote for the party that sweeps the more racist Southern states? The party that claims the only black president (after 43 white guys) is by far the WORST president in the history of the nation?

5) And yes, if you like your weed... would you vote the hippie party or the War on Drugs/Build More Prisons party?

You kind of answered your own question. Are there groups of voters that prioritize other things over the fiscal insanity in Washington? Yes, duh! Do you think any of the groups mentioned above are going to see past the R positions on their own more pressing issues to even think about longer term fiscal responsibility? Why on earth would you think that?

The Ds have built the big tent to sweep up all these special interests into a voting coalition.
* Gays - 5 % to 10%
* African Americans - 12%
* Hispanics - 7% or so?
* Non Bible Thumping Wimminz - How many percent?

It adds up. The Rs ignore these groups at their peril.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Seriously VOR? You're trying to tell me that the fake 'war on wimmenz', homosexual marriage, DADT, and pot legalization are MORE important than being $17 trillion in the hole? Really? It's time to recognize and re-prioritize. The house is burning down and these people are worried about what sort of curtains are hanging in the living room.
Yes, seriously... to some people. Just because YOU think the problem in this country is free spending liberals does not mean the country agrees with you. Even if they would like to see balanced budgets. Some people think the #1 problem in politics today is radical social conservative agenda. Just like back in the 1980's many people thought the #1 problem was fat union bosses and litigious trial attorneys.

1) If you are a young woman who is not saving herself for marriage (you know, the kind of women we wanted to meet when we were in college)... would you want to vote for a candidate that thinks the government should intervene if you got yourself in trouble? Would you favor a party that preaches counseling abstinence over birth control?

2) If you are gay or lesbian... why on earth would you ever vote for a R? Honestly...

3) If you are a legal immigrant from Mexico or South America... and you have family back home... why would you ever vote for the party that preaches building bigger walls and increasing border patrols and deportations?

4) If you are African American, why would you vote for the party that sweeps the more racist Southern states? The party that claims the only black president (after 43 white guys) is by far the WORST president in the history of the nation?

5) And yes, if you like your weed... would you vote the hippie party or the War on Drugs/Build More Prisons party?

You kind of answered your own question. Are there groups of voters that prioritize other things over the fiscal insanity in Washington? Yes, duh! Do you think any of the groups mentioned above are going to see past the R positions on their own more pressing issues to even think about longer term fiscal responsibility? Why on earth would you think that?

The Ds have built the big tent to sweep up all these special interests into a voting coalition.
* Gays - 5 % to 10%
* Hispanics - 7% or so?

Very legitimate argument. And it shows how personal self interest drives decision making in elections. It used to be that "politics is local", i.e. that the issues you highlight above are decided at the local level. And it made sense as that is where you could get a more homogeneous electorate and truly represent the "will of the people". Broader, national issues (debt, foreign policy, major programs, etc.) were decided at the federal level. Unfortunately the progressive movement has moved all of these local issues to the federal level where, IMO they don't belong. It's the erosion of the power of the state.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

* Gays - 5 % to 10%
* Hispanics - 7% or so?

I didn’t ask a question, I made a statement. I realize why these factions of voters vote their self-interest. What I’m telling you is that that isn’t good enough. These blocs vote as if their problems are the only ones that matter. That’s the surest way for this country to fail I can think of.

Our problems aren’t relative to which side of the fence you sit on; and trying to compare the importance of the various issues you mentioned to our very dim fiscal problems is just mind-bogglingly simple-minded. Where you, I or anyone else stands on social issues is irrelevant when the economy is one bad event away from collapse. I’ll say it again: If you vote social issues over fiscal issues you need to get your head screwed on straight.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

HokieJoe wrote: I didn’t ask a question, I made a statement. I realize why these factions of voters vote their self-interest. What I’m telling you is that that isn’t good enough. These blocs vote as if their problems are the only ones that matter. That’s the surest way for this country to fail I can think of.

Our problems aren’t relative to which side of the fence you sit on; and trying to compare the importance of the various issues you mentioned to our very dim fiscal problems is just mind-bogglingly simple-minded. Where you, I or anyone else stands on social issues is irrelevant when the economy is one bad event away from collapse. I’ll say it again: If you vote social issues over fiscal issues you need to get your head screwed on straight.
HokieJoe, WADR...

1) This is a message board. Statement or question is immaterial. People are going to respond if they want to. Sorry if you feel once you render your opinion all further discussion is immaterial :mrgreen:

2) So... you realize why people with specific self interests vote in their self interest... yet that is not good enough? Wow. Sorry if their voting habits do not align with what you determine to be your top priority. Maybe democracy is not for you :mrgreen:

3) "I’ll say it again: If you vote social issues over fiscal issues you need to get your head screwed on straight." Said with the self-assurance of a person with no stake in the game for social issues. Great for you! You can repeat this all you want and continue to be baffled as the country votes their own interests without consulting you on which issue is most important.

OR... maybe we could run some candidates that want to fix the financial problems without messing with the stupid social issues. Nah... that kind of big tent thinking would never work. Too pragmatic...
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Maybe democracy is not for you
Correct. Not that this is a democracy, but people shouldn't be able to vote away property and liberty of other people.

VoiceOfReason wrote: fix the financial problems without messing with the stupid social issues. Nah... that kind of big tent thinking would never work. Too pragmatic...
Which democrats are those? Let me know and I'll vote for him.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Marine Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote: fix the financial problems without messing with the stupid social issues. Nah... that kind of big tent thinking would never work. Too pragmatic...
Why do you think I was implying the Ds had these solutions? After all, I am here... not on the D board... if there even is such a thing as a D board.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Well keep on voting for rulers who want high spending I guess.
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
Why do you think I was implying the Ds had these solutions? After all, I am here... not on the D board... if there even is such a thing as a D board.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Marine Hokie wrote:Well keep on voting for rulers who want high spending I guess.
I will keep voting my best interests. And I will keep advocating for better candidate choices from both parties :mrgreen:
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

When did you advocate for better candidates? Obama and Hillary are fiscal conservatives?
Do you see a problem with voting for people who want to take the property and liberty of other people?
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:Well keep on voting for rulers who want high spending I guess.
I will keep voting my best interests. And I will keep advocating for better candidate choices from both parties :mrgreen:
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Marine Hokie wrote:When did you advocate for better candidates? Obama and Hillary are fiscal conservatives?
Do you see a problem with voting for people who want to take the property and liberty of other people?
On this board, I have consistently advocated for the GOP to nominate fiscal conservative candidates without the social issue baggage. I would love a group of candidates who want to eliminate the debt in a fair and balanced way. I don't care which party they are from.

LOL... where did I ever say O or Hill are fiscal conservatives? I do favor their social positions to the current group of GOP candidates that want the government to restrict basic rights of people that don't vote for them. :mrgreen:
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:When did you advocate for better candidates? Obama and Hillary are fiscal conservatives?
On this board, I have consistently advocated for the GOP to nominate fiscal conservative candidates without the social issue baggage. I would love a group of candidates who want to eliminate the debt in a fair and balanced way. I don't care which party they are from.

LOL... where did I ever say O or Hill are fiscal conservatives? I do favor their social positions to the current group of GOP candidates that want the government to restrict basic rights of people that don't vote for them. :mrgreen:
fiscal conservative, to you, means jacking up the tax rates. You advocate for tax rate increases a lot, yet, the evidence that rate increases actually result in increased total revenue (that's the goal, right?) is very slim. I suspect a social justice angle (screw the rich!) under the covers of your call to tax rate hikes in the name of fiscal responsibility. Because rate hikes don't necessarily lead to increases in total revenue.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.