Politico says Carson admitted fabrication. Carson not

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: Politico says Carson admitted fabrication. Carson not

Post by RiverguyVT »

HooFighter wrote:
awesome guy wrote:He could have gone to West Point with 0 costs. Surely even you can see how a general pitching West Point and it's perks, including 0 cost can be interpreted as a scholarship.
He was offered neither a scholarship nor admittance with no costs. But you knew that.
It seems a lot more likely that Carson (with solid academics and achievements) was offered such favor by Westmoreland, than that Obama wrote his own book, never knew Bill Ayers, never really knew Frank Marshall Davis, and never paid attention to Jeremiah Wright. But you knew that.
Last edited by RiverguyVT on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:I don't know whether he was or not. Neither do you, although I grant that it would be unusual to formally offer admission without the application.

It does not seem unlikely that the general would suggest that the best rotc student in Detroit could attend the point. Especially being a minority. If the general said, "Benny, you are the kind of candidate we would love to have at west point. With your scholastic record and background I am confident that you would be admitted. You are aware that at the academies, all students effectively have a full scholarship in that no costs are paid by the cadets. I hope we can count on your application to west point and future service to your country."

Is something like that outlandish, outrageous or outside the realm of possibility? How would a 17 yo react to a statement like that from a four star general?

HooFighter wrote:
awesome guy wrote:He could have gone to West Point with 0 costs. Surely even you can see how a general pitching West Point and it's perks, including 0 cost can be interpreted as a scholarship.
He was offered neither a scholarship nor admittance with no costs. But you knew that.

He wasn't admitted into West Point. He didn't even say he was. He said he could get in (as he was the top ROTC officer and sponsored by a 4 star General) which is very well true. This is a case of Carson misspeaking about the process and the idiots on the left attempting to turn it into some kind of giant lie.

Usually blacks get attacked on the left as being womanizers. I'm waiting for them to bring out the coke can with the pubic hair in the coming weeks.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

When I was a senior in high school looking for options to further my education I thought about going to the AFA. My dad knew Senator Paul Tribble and said I could get a nomination to the Academy. I went a different route, but is it a lie to say I could have gone to the AFA if I had so chosen?
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:When I was a senior in high school looking for options to further my education I thought about going to the AFA. My dad knew Senator Paul Tribble and said I could get a nomination to the Academy. I went a different route, but is it a lie to say I could have gone to the AFA if I had so chosen?

Yep. I had VMI all over me to attend. I had a couple Div II football offers too. Guess I can't mention any of that or I would be lying.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote:When I was a senior in high school looking for options to further my education I thought about going to the AFA. My dad knew Senator Paul Tribble and said I could get a nomination to the Academy. I went a different route, but is it a lie to say I could have gone to the AFA if I had so chosen?
It depends... did you take sniper fire upon deplaning in Bosnia?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
I was dirt poor, living in just 1 mansion with a home in the Hamptons, living off a peasant's salary of 4 million.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote:
No, but I did have a bullet ricochet and hit my leg in a shooting range once. Does that count?

LOL. Looking back, and not saying I would have done anything different, but I would have been able to retire from the AF 7 years ago and draw a 50% pension, then gone on to fly for an airline.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Geez, the LWNJ astroturfer's are out in force on this Politburo story over on their site. What's comical is that they're desperate to use a story this facile to discredit him. I figured they'd come up something better than this? First it was the book tour/cashing in/not really running; and now this. That's all? None of this is nearly as juicy as the fabricated life of our Dumbass in Chief.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I know multiple people who went to the Naval Academy in precisely the manner that Carson was "offered a scholarship." One was on the football team (nobody you'd know, I think he warmed the bench just about every game). His application consisted of the football coach saying that he could get him a scholarship. He couldn't even tell me which congressperson nominated him.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:
I am not sure how serious an error this would be for Carson. Maybe a slip of memory, may be an embellishment.
That seems like a heck of a benefit of the doubt you're giving him. If he were a Democrat, you would skewer him.
Again, can you tell us the difference between being told he could attend with 0 cost vs. a scholarship?

West Point says he never applied. You don't offer scholarships to people that didn't apply.
Did he say he applied?
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Swabbie, how different is this from va tech offering a scholarship to a kid for football? The kid has not applied, may not have even considered us. We offered him a scholarship.

Same thing...?

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:
I am not sure how serious an error this would be for Carson. Maybe a slip of memory, may be an embellishment.
That seems like a heck of a benefit of the doubt you're giving him. If he were a Democrat, you would skewer him.
Again, can you tell us the difference between being told he could attend with 0 cost vs. a scholarship?

West Point says he never applied. You don't offer scholarships to people that didn't apply.
Did he say he applied?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:Geez, the LWNJ astroturfer's are out in force on this Politburo story over on their site. What's comical is that they're desperate to use a story this facile to discredit him. I figured they'd come up something better than this? First it was the book tour/cashing in/not really running; and now this. That's all? None of this is nearly as juicy as the fabricated life of our Dumbass in Chief.
What it is is a high tech lynching. Racism hides behind this attack.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:Swabbie, how different is this from va tech offering a scholarship to a kid for football? The kid has not applied, may not have even considered us. We offered him a scholarship.

Same thing...?

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:

Did he say he applied?
Because no one pays to attend West Point. Every cadet gets a full scholarship.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Look at the headline on yahoo.com. I wonder if they will admit to lying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ben-carson-a ... 43558.html
USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:

Did he say he applied?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Look at the headline on yahoo.com. I wonder if they will admit to lying.

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:

Did he say he applied?
Ok, I see the actual excerpt from his book now, thanks. This story is nothing more than defamation. I'm sure the left will trot out some someone to corroborate their story, but what his book describes isn't unheard of at all.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Look at the headline on yahoo.com. I wonder if they will admit to lying.

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
BG Hokie wrote: That seems like a heck of a benefit of the doubt you're giving him. If he were a Democrat, you would skewer him.

Did he say he applied?
Ok, I see the actual excerpt from his book now, thanks. This story is nothing more than defamation. I'm sure the left will trot out some someone to corroborate their story, but what his book describes isn't unheard of at all.
Sure. Defamation... Because when someone gets called out for saying they met a general and got a scholarship offer at a memorial day parade in Detroit, when said general was actually playing tennis in DC, that's defamation.
The right, who is so concerned with the definition of words, is now redefining "scholarship" and apparently "defamation."
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote: Again, can you tell us the difference between being told he could attend with 0 cost vs. a scholarship?

Did he say he applied?
Sure. Defamation... Because when someone gets called out for saying they met a general and got a scholarship offer at a memorial day parade in Detroit, when said general was actually playing tennis in DC, that's defamation.
The right, who is so concerned with the definition of words, is now redefining "scholarship" and apparently "defamation."
You're a liar.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

awesome guy wrote:You're a liar.
That's defamation!
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:You're a liar.
That's defamation!
It's a fact Jack.