Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Re: U Missouri black fb players will strike until U prez res

Post by absolutvt03 »

oaktonhokie wrote:My point was, and remains, that their bold stand is a farce.

They just want to whine. No consequences for their action. Like the rioters in Baltimore, ferguson, Oakland.... They threw rocks through windows, that's no reason to arrest and convict someone.

Systemic racism...helloooo.

If you believe in something you act and accept the consequences. Like mlk did. Go to prison, bring attention to your cause.

Don't break the law and then whine when you have to pay the price.

The praying hs football coach...if I were him, i'd continue to pray at midfield after each game. If they fire him, fine. And after he is no longer part of the school, STILL go to midfield and pray after the game.

Taking a stand means doing what you think is right and taking the consequences for your actions.
Not breaking the law and then demanding special dispensation because of your race or sexual orientation or religion.

This is a prediction on my part. Notice I said, "just watch" in the previous post.
I never said there shouldn't be potential consequences. I just said I'm ok with them standing up for something they believe in (even if I don't agree with their end goals) and doing it in a non-violent way.

I find your "don't break the law and then whine when you have to pay the price" to be an interesting statement. Did you feel that way when Kim Davis was sent to jail for contempt? Did you decry the people who complained and "demanded special dispensation because of her religion"?

Edit: I also want to add that there are consequences even when you get what you want. If the protest is successful and the president resigns then these players have to live with that and have to be ok with taking away someone's livelihood. That's the part I don't agree with mostly because I view that as something that's not a trivial matter.
Last edited by absolutvt03 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Pay attention, yes I did.

Per the oakton docrine:

Liars think everyone lies,
Cheaters think everyone cheats,
Hypocrites think everyone is a hypocrite.

I've said before that it is possible to be both partisan and objective. A nugget lost on you, evidently.

The clerk in Kentucky has a right to her beliefs and opinions. I said her boss should try to make accommodations for her beliefs. It shouldn't be that big a deal.

Barring that, if she chooses not to perform her duties, she doesn't get to work there any more. That means, she should be fired, in case you misunderstood.

absolutvt03 wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:My point was, and remains, that their bold stand is a farce.

They just want to whine. No consequences for their action. Like the rioters in Baltimore, ferguson, Oakland.... They threw rocks through windows, that's no reason to arrest and convict someone.

Systemic racism...helloooo.

If you believe in something you act and accept the consequences. Like mlk did. Go to prison, bring attention to your cause.

Don't break the law and then whine when you have to pay the price.

The praying hs football coach...if I were him, i'd continue to pray at midfield after each game. If they fire him, fine. And after he is no longer part of the school, STILL go to midfield and pray after the game.

Taking a stand means doing what you think is right and taking the consequences for your actions.
Not breaking the law and then demanding special dispensation because of your race or sexual orientation or religion.

This is a prediction on my part. Notice I said, "just watch" in the previous post.
I never said there shouldn't be potential consequences. I just said I'm ok with them standing up for something they believe in (even if I don't agree with their end goals) and doing it in a non-violent way.

I find your "don't break the law and then whine when you have to pay the price" to be an interesting statement. Did you feel that way when Kim Davis was sent to jail for contempt? Did you decry the people who complained and "demanded special dispensation because of her religion"?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

oaktonhokie wrote:Pay attention, yes I did.

Per the oakton docrine:

I've said before that it is possible to be both partisan and objective. A nugget lost on you, evidently.

The clerk in Kentucky has a right to her beliefs and opinions. I said her boss should try to make accommodations for her beliefs. It shouldn't be that big a deal.

Barring that, if she chooses not to perform her duties, she doesn't get to work there any more. That means, she should be fired, in case you misunderstood.
Hence why I asked the question instead of making a statement. Believe it or not, I don't read everything you post so instead of assuming to know your position on the matter, I asked you about it. I would think you would find that the more civil way of doing it and yet you couldn't respond without a few barbs.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Gee I feel bad now.

For some reason I read just a bit of snark into your questions.
It seemed to me that your question was accusatory and presumed an answer.

Apologies.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Per the oakton docrine:

Hence why I asked the question instead of making a statement. Believe it or not, I don't read everything you post so instead of assuming to know your position on the matter, I asked you about it. I would think you would find that the more civil way of doing it and yet you couldn't respond without a few barbs.
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

oaktonhokie wrote:Gee I feel bad now.

Apologies.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Per the oakton docrine:

No worries, I honestly couldn't recall your posts on the Kim Davis stuff. There were so many topics and different opinions.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

This is so dumb. The inmates are running the asylum.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Mizzou prez resigns.

Weakness will generate more attacks.

My guess is the president get paid a pile of money to make this go away, and to make him go away.

This will be a precedent, not an exception. This will get big.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Apologies.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Per the oakton docrine:

No worries, I honestly couldn't recall your posts on the Kim Davis stuff. There were so many topics and different opinions.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Mizzou prez resigns.

My guess is the president get paid a pile of money to make this go away, and to make him go away.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Apologies.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Per the oakton docrine:

Dan Lebatard just had a reporter on that was talking about it and is very knowledgeable about the situation, he said the impetus was the Michael Brown issue in Ferguson and the prez had done nothing about racism on campus. Good to see the smart students at Mizzou are so stupid they cannot read about the choir boy Michael Brown or choose to ignore the actual facts of a criminal getting killed while in the act of committing criminal acts.... good luck to us
RWNJ
Party: Independent

Post by RWNJ »

Major Kong wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Coach Pinkel appears to be in support of his players.

https://twitter.com/GaryPinkel/status/6 ... 2370856960
Then the coach and the players need to go ASAP.
^^^^This^^^^
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

David Duke chosen as replacement :!: :shock:

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

SO

MANY

DOTS

oaktonhokie wrote:Mizzou prez resigns.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Apologies.

absolutvt03 wrote:

Per the oakton docrine:

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Major Kong wrote:

No...just the scholarships.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

that racist!!!!!
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

The president sounds like a sanctimonious weakling. Well, that president TOO.

He resigned for the good of the school. He said people should stop shouting and listen to each other.
What a guy. What a martyr. What a pos.

And um, who is doing the shouting?

Did we ever determine who the picaso of poop was?

When you climb the pc ladder to get to be prez of a mediocre university, you have to pay the consequence for not being pc enough.

Good riddance. Now, we need a black, transsexual muzzlam to lead the institution.

If I had been president when that idiot went on a hunger strike, he would have lost a lot of weight. I recall many years ago some clowns were hunger striking in DC, iirc. A few of us went by eating burgers, twinkies and the like. We offered them some.

Turned out it was a fake. The alleged hunger strikers worked and struck in shifts. They would show up, not eat for a while and carry signs, sing songs and minstrualize themselves. Then after a while, another group would come and take their place. That allowed for the original strikers to get a bite to eat before their next shift.

Interviews with students revealed how emboldened they are. One genius said he really feels like he could accomplish something. And of course they all said they have more to do.

Turn the university of missouri into Detroit.

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

that racist!!!!!
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Have you seen the list of demands? The President's resignation was not enough. He must now admit to his white privilege (among other things). You see, you can never appease these people. They are statists that demand 100% conformity and they will not stop until they have seized all reigns of power. Shame on this President for not standing up to these progressive bullies!

========================

Missouri protest: List of demands issued to university
By Andre Vergara Published November 08, 2015

Members of the University of Missouri football team raised awareness of the school's racial turmoil Saturday, joining forces with the student protesters and threatening to boycott football activities until president Tim Wolfe is removed from his position.

The student group leading the protest, Concerned Student 1950, issued its list of demands, which the Columbia Daily Tribune published, to the university last month. It's unclear if the university has taken steps to adopt any of the proposed changes, or if the striking football players want all of these demands met.

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/11/0 ... rsity.html

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I used to have two favorite teams - Virginia Tech and whoever is playing against UVA-C.

I now have three - Virginia Tech, whoever is playing against UM-C, and whoever is playing against UVA-C.

Let's go BYU!
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

This sums it up well:
@LOLGOP: Republicans are very concerned about college students' sensitivity after their candidates protested because their debate wasn't a safe space
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Why did you post this, what does it mean?

Did you accidentally posted to the wrong thread, or is this just more incoherent babbling?

I guess as long as you are happy with the post, that's all that matters.

That was a great post, for you.

Uprising wrote:This sums it up well:
@LOLGOP: Republicans are very concerned about college students' sensitivity after their candidates protested because their debate wasn't a safe space
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

the list of demands is humorous.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.