United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 am

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics


Forum rules


Please be civil.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 pm
Posts: 1141
LOL...Let the criminals run wild..What a liberal idea....And don't forget to give them a lot of free excrement.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 29366
Location: Plastic Flotilla:Location Classified
Party: After 10
Up yours FloHo.

_________________
You losers lost, take off the vagina suit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'

_________________
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 am
Posts: 3384
Location: Mom's basement.
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth
Florida Hokie wrote:
http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?


I believe we have a higher prison population per capita than China. That is an abomination in a supposed free country. Some of our laws are skewed against poor and minority people. That needs to change.

_________________
My women clients think I'm so sweet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 am
Posts: 3384
Location: Mom's basement.
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.

_________________
My women clients think I'm so sweet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 7770
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.


how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am
Posts: 7770
Florida Hokie wrote:
http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?


Somehow I have managed to stay out of prison my whole 49 years, wonder how..... not breaking laws that get you into prison..... duh!!!!!!!!!!!

but lets be softer on folks that refuse to live by the laws we all have to live by....great idea


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 am
Posts: 3384
Location: Mom's basement.
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.


how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???


We should have less laws (less government) in a free society. We also shouldn't create laws that target certain groups. A higher prison population than China per capita is an embarrassment.

_________________
My women clients think I'm so sweet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 2288
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.


how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???


Written when and by whom (who?)? The ones written by politicians in the last 20 years to get elected and sound tough on crime?

By breaking the law should people be locked up for life? What if it is three petty crimes, does that makes sense to you? What if the law makes no sense? As usual, I think it is a little more nuanced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.


how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???


I didn't say there should be no punishment, but it should fit the crime. Non-violent offenses should have minimal incarceration times, and that's only if a fine is wholly inappropriate. And drug laws should by and large be repealed

_________________
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
Attila T Hun wrote:
LOL...Let the criminals run wild..What a liberal idea....And don't forget to give them a lot of free excrement.


That's not what the effort is about but if it is easier for you to think of it that way then ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?


I believe we have a higher prison population per capita than China. That is an abomination in a supposed free country. Some of our laws are skewed against poor and minority people. That needs to change.


Bingo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Our prisons have far too many non-violent offenders in them. Anyone who has served more than, I dunno... let's say, 18 months for a non-violent offense should probably be let go. Let's keep prisons for murderers and rapists... possession of a few grams of cocaine shouldn't get you a life sentence just because it's a 'third strike.'


And crack cocaine, a form of Coke that is less pure shouldn't get you more time than the pure cocaine.


how about the idea of not breaking the laws as they are written??? anybody for more personal responsibility? anybody? bueller???


So the laws are perfect?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 pm
Posts: 3249
Florida Hokie wrote:
http://www.cut50.org/

This is a truly bi-partisan effort led by Newt Gingrich and Van Jones. I've learned quite a bit about it lately and fully support what they are doing. In short, they want to reform the criminal justice system and reduce our incarcerated population by 50 percent over the next 10 years.

I encourage you to check out the information provided. How does UWS feel about this effort?
Legalize drugs and prostitution. You can still enforce crimes associated with said activities (trafficking, theft, abuse, etc.), but the act itself should not be illegal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 17475
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
Like it or not, I the reduction in crime over the last 20 years is directly proportional to the increased incarceration rates. I think there's an argument to be made that there is causation...at least to some degree.

_________________
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 2604
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 17475
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
PS - Newt is a complete media whore and I don't trust anything he's doing to be about anything except Newt.

_________________
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


Yep. It's big business an has nothing to do with reform or protecting citizens.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 17475
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.

_________________
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.


That's not a true statement. That's not what is being said at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 8156
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
The next time cwtcr gets a speeding ticket, he should be sentenced to two years in jail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
I love UWS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 17475
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.


That's not a true statement. That's not what is being said at all.


Bullshirt. Show how I'm wrong.

ETA: Yep, you're wrong:
Quote:
Left mostly unsaid is that achieving the goal of this “Cut50” movement would entail touching what has long been a third-rail in criminal justice reform. To halve the prison population, sentencing would have to change not only for the so-called “non, non, nons” — non-violent, non-serious, and non-sex offender criminals — but also for some offenders convicted of violent crimes.

...

Simple math shows why violent offenders would have to be part of any serious attempt to halve the number of prisoners. Consider the nation’s largest incarcerated population, the 1,315,000 held in state prisons. Only 4 percent are there for drug possession. An additional 12 percent are incarcerated for drug sales, manufacturing, or trafficking. Eleven percent are there for public order offenses such as prostitution or drunk driving, and 19 percent for property crimes such as fraud and car theft, including some property crimes that many consider serious or violent, such as home invasion.

That leaves a full 54 percent of state prisoners who are incarcerated for violent crimes, including murder, kidnapping, manslaughter, rape, sexual assault, and armed robbery.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015 ... .1fJVPzF2i


This isn't about releasing hippies caught with an ounce of weed from prison.

_________________
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Posts: 17475
Location: Fake Dossier Writing Center
Party: Draintheswamp
So, who here should I write down as supporting the release of violent criminals/sex offenders from prison? So far, I have:

1. OJ
2. Jared from Subway
3. Florida Hokie

_________________
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
Posts: 3458
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star
USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
Everything in this country is about money. The reason we have a lot of prisons is because you make a lot of money building and managing prisons.

The best lobbyists are able to create a buzz phrase for the average moron to support, like "War on Drugs". Then, to prove your support you vote for someone who supports the cliche...this politician then writes a blank check for those profiting from it in exchange for donations. Rinse, repeat.

Any time someone in Washington declares war on a windmill, cover your wallet. It's all about taking your money and redistributing it to the people who give them money. It's good business if you're in the middle of the funds flow.


I think it's a mistake to imply prison overpopulation = war on drugs. Van Jones doesn't want to just release non-violent pot heads caught with an ounce of weed - we're talking about releasing repeat, violent criminals in any conversation about reducing the prison population by 50%.


That's not a true statement. That's not what is being said at all.


Bullshirt. Show how I'm wrong.

ETA: Yep, you're wrong:
Quote:
Left mostly unsaid is that achieving the goal of this “Cut50” movement would entail touching what has long been a third-rail in criminal justice reform. To halve the prison population, sentencing would have to change not only for the so-called “non, non, nons” — non-violent, non-serious, and non-sex offender criminals — but also for some offenders convicted of violent crimes.

...

Simple math shows why violent offenders would have to be part of any serious attempt to halve the number of prisoners. Consider the nation’s largest incarcerated population, the 1,315,000 held in state prisons. Only 4 percent are there for drug possession. An additional 12 percent are incarcerated for drug sales, manufacturing, or trafficking. Eleven percent are there for public order offenses such as prostitution or drunk driving, and 19 percent for property crimes such as fraud and car theft, including some property crimes that many consider serious or violent, such as home invasion.

That leaves a full 54 percent of state prisoners who are incarcerated for violent crimes, including murder, kidnapping, manslaughter, rape, sexual assault, and armed robbery.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015 ... .1fJVPzF2i


This isn't about releasing hippies caught with an ounce of weed from prison.


From your article: "“We’re not heavily leaning into that part of the conversation yet, because there is so much common ground on the nonviolent offenders, the indigent population, and the mental health population. We think we can get some momentum going,” Jones said."

Just because 50% might not be possible should it not be pursued? I doubt you think that. I'm sure you would agree reform is a worthwhile discussion? At least I would hope so.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group Color scheme by ColorizeIt!