Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Anyone familiar with #cut50?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:I do, but you're asking me to jump into the same trap that Republicans/conservatives fall for every time. Newt is a whore and Van Jones only wants to do this because he thinks the system is targeting blacks for incarceration - he'd probably release all of them if he could.
Have you actually listened to Van Jones speak on the topic? That's not what he's saying. He DOES represent that it is unfair against black males and to that I'd agree.

How exactly is it unfair to black males?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I think Van Jones is a lying sack of shiite.
Put it this way... of all the white people I know who regularly smoke(d) marijuana (and I know a bunch), my brother is the ONLY ONE who ever was charged with a simple possession. Once. Twenty years ago. He STILL habitually uses and never gets hassled about it.

Black folks, on the other hand, especially males, are CONSTANTLY given grief over marijuana. That sh!t shouldn't even BE illegal, but the enforcement of that bullsh!t law is far more heavily applied to blacks and that's just a fact.

if an item is illegal why are they doing it where they get busted? having a brain may be a prerequisite for not getting busted for being a dumb ass
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
awesome guy wrote: I contend black users are generally dumber

This should just be your stock reply to everything as it pretty accurately reflects your views. At the very least it should be your signature.
do you agree or disagree that performing an illegal act in plain view is probably a really really dumb idea?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:#cut50

Yes it is. You guys sound like the folks who say we're going to balance the budget by cutting pork spending, or the military.
That's what I've criticized you and all the RWNJ's here for.
Please feel free to provide any link where I've said anything like that. Until then, just know that you're failing an even simpler math problem.
How am I failing a math problem?
People who know, know.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:I do, but you're asking me to jump into the same trap that Republicans/conservatives fall for every time. Newt is a whore and Van Jones only wants to do this because he thinks the system is targeting blacks for incarceration - he'd probably release all of them if he could.
Have you actually listened to Van Jones speak on the topic? That's not what he's saying. He DOES represent that it is unfair against black males and to that I'd agree.

How exactly is it unfair to black males?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I think Van Jones is a lying sack of shiite.
Put it this way... of all the white people I know who regularly smoke(d) marijuana (and I know a bunch), my brother is the ONLY ONE who ever was charged with a simple possession. Once. Twenty years ago. He STILL habitually uses and never gets hassled about it.

Black folks, on the other hand, especially males, are CONSTANTLY given grief over marijuana. That sh!t shouldn't even BE illegal, but the enforcement of that bullsh!t law is far more heavily applied to blacks and that's just a fact.
Let me guess. Your brother and your friends generally use in their own home, out on the back deck, etc. in suburban America. They work during the day and smoke nights and weekends. Very little police presence, certainly not patrolling. They come to problems when called.

In urban areas, in particular low socio-economic areas, the police are out in force, constantly on patrol, and in numbers. In reality they put their resources where they are needed, where the majority of significant crime occurs and exists. As such they are going to interface with black guys smoking dope all of the time, not looking for it as much as coming across it. Many unemployed hanging out during the day drinking and smoking.

And you wonder why blacks and Hispanics get arrested more?
This. When I grew up, white kids did drugs in their garage or basement while their parents were working. OTOH, when I worked in the city, I would see people doing drugs in alleys, cars, etc.. all the time. CPA is falling for the equal opportunity = equal outcome logic trap that liberals love.
I can see what you are saying here. I can see both sides. In the end though, it doesn't matter. A higher prison population per capita than China is not a free society. Freedom means less laws, not more. More laws mean bigger government. We should certainly get rid of laws that are really meaningless, like pot laws. Just make it legal. We should look at other laws with skepticism. Crack and Cocaine are the same really. One is used by poor and minorities and the other by the wealthy and middle class, in general. Penalties should be the same.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote: do, but you're asking me to jump into the same trap that Republicans/conservatives fall for every time. Newt is a whore and Van Jones only wants to do this because he thinks the system is targeting blacks for incarceration - he'd probably release all of them if he could.

Let me guess. Your brother and your friends generally use in their own home, out on the back deck, etc. in suburban America. They work during the day and smoke nights and weekends. Very little police presence, certainly not patrolling. They come to problems when called.

In urban areas, in particular low socio-economic areas, the police are out in force, constantly on patrol, and in numbers. In reality they put their resources where they are needed, where the majority of significant crime occurs and exists. As such they are going to interface with black guys smoking dope all of the time, not looking for it as much as coming across it. Many unemployed hanging out during the day drinking and smoking.

And you wonder why blacks and Hispanics get arrested more?
This. When I grew up, white kids did drugs in their garage or basement while their parents were working. OTOH, when I worked in the city, I would see people doing drugs in alleys, cars, etc.. all the time. CPA is falling for the equal opportunity = equal outcome logic trap that liberals love.
I can see what you are saying here. I can see both sides. In the end though, it doesn't matter. A higher prison population per capita than China is not a free society. Freedom means less laws, not more. More laws mean bigger government. We should certainly get rid of laws that are really meaningless, like pot laws. Just make it legal. We should look at other laws with skepticism. Crack and Cocaine are the same really. One is used by poor and minorities and the other by the wealthy and middle class, in general. Penalties should be the same.
so why are you only making marijuana legal? what if I love cocaine, or heroin or pcp. FYI the more than china stuff is crap, china kills felons so no use for prison and with the huge differences in the culture and ethnic mix of china and the USA it is very easy to see why we would have more people in prison than china. So pot laws are the only ones you think have to be reformed, people cannot move to CO or any of the other states where it is now legal?

And totally kill the mary jane laws... maybe has a 2-3% affect on prison population as very few mary jane cases ever get to the prison level and so the amount of great citizens unfairly locked up will be very small.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
so why are you only making marijuana legal? what if I love cocaine, or heroin or pcp. FYI the more than china stuff is crap, china kills felons so no use for prison and with the huge differences in the culture and ethnic mix of china and the USA it is very easy to see why we would have more people in prison than china. So pot laws are the only ones you think have to be reformed, people cannot move to CO or any of the other states where it is now legal?

And totally kill the mary jane laws... maybe has a 2-3% affect on prison population as very few mary jane cases ever get to the prison level and so the amount of great citizens unfairly locked up will be very small.
I have to be honest, you are just rambling. I don't think you read my post. I didn't say that pot laws were the only ones that need to be reformed. I said we should look at other laws with skepticism. Why is cocaine a lesser sentence than crack? Why? I find it hard to believe that supposed conservatives can't get on board with less laws. It just means that you have been thrown into the box on the right and can't think for yourself. You are on board with growing government. It's why I just don't vote now. But, hey, I'm glad. At least there won't be anymore threads on here about Obamacare. All laws are good, right?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Yes it is. You guys sound like the folks who say we're going to balance the budget by cutting pork spending, or the military.
Please feel free to provide any link where I've said anything like that. Until then, just know that you're failing an even simpler math problem.
You argued that the prison population could be reduced 50% (hence...#cut50) by equalizing cocaine sentences (something that's been done for years as I recall, btw) and getting rid of three strikes laws, which is laughable.

One more time: 54% of the prison population is violent criminals. 12% are people arrested for drug possession. 4% are arrested for drug distribution. If you legalized / decriminalized every drug, it would still only reduce the prison population by 16% (not really, but I won't get into that).
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
No disagreements from me with anything you said. My point is that we could do everything you said and still wind up with an imbalanced (with respect to race) prison population and focusing on race here is a mistake.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I have to be honest, you are just rambling. I don't think you read my post. I didn't say that pot laws were the only ones that need to be reformed. I said we should look at other laws with skepticism. Why is cocaine a lesser sentence than crack? Why? I find it hard to believe that supposed conservatives can't get on board with less laws. It just means that you have been thrown into the box on the right and can't think for yourself. You are on board with growing government. It's why I just don't vote now. But, hey, I'm glad. At least there won't be anymore threads on here about Obamacare. All laws are good, right?
Already covered, different potency and ussage pattern. Crack gets you higher, faster, and for a shorter timeframe. So users are out sooner looking for more. It's not true to say crack and coke are the same.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

the funny thing about this thread is all I asking for is what laws are you getting rid of and nobody can answer the question. I did read your post as I read others and I had a question. As for conservatives and laws I want there to be NO laws at all but have enough a brain to realize that without laws morons will do thing that harm society and harm other humans and affect other humans and thus we have laws to have SOME control on that. I think for myself on every topic, I use the brain in my head. I am not on board with growing gov. as our national and state gov. are involved in things that they have no business being in but IIWII so you deal with it as best you can.

Again, my solution for the supposed jail issue is tell people, these acts and actions are illegal....don't do them, then no need for jails or prisons at all. Again, somehow the vast majority of the US population has managed to not be in prison during their lifetimes, me for instance and I am guessing you for instance. Wonder how that happened?
no idea I guess.

IF you want to have a conversation lets have one, here is a problem, here are my solutions. Just throwing out a problem is not a discussion
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

the funny thing about this thread is all I asking for is what laws are you getting rid of and nobody can answer the question. I did read your post as I read others and I had a question. As for conservatives and laws I want there to be NO laws at all but have enough a brain to realize that without laws morons will do thing that harm society and harm other humans and affect other humans and thus we have laws to have SOME control on that. I think for myself on every topic, I use the brain in my head. I am not on board with growing gov. as our national and state gov. are involved in things that they have no business being in but IIWII so you deal with it as best you can.

Again, my solution for the supposed jail issue is tell people, these acts and actions are illegal....don't do them, then no need for jails or prisons at all. Again, somehow the vast majority of the US population has managed to not be in prison during their lifetimes, me for instance and I am guessing you for instance. Wonder how that happened?
no idea I guess.

IF you want to have a conversation lets have one, here is a problem, here are my solutions. Just throwing out a problem is not a discussion
Yes, throwing out the problem is a discussion. No one has come to a consensus on what laws need to be changed. It's just a discussion of the possibilities. In my opinion, for sure, wasting taxpayer resources on pot, a drug that makes you mellow and in some cases hungry, is not the answer. There are other laws, certainly other drug laws that are possibilities. Also, looking at sentencing on drug convictions, as well as convictions of other crimes, are they fair? Is there a discrepancy between how one gender in sentenced, or one race is sentenced compared to others? It's just a discussion at this point.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

awesome guy wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Already covered, different potency and ussage pattern. Crack gets you higher, faster, and for a shorter timeframe. So users are out sooner looking for more. It's not true to say crack and coke are the same.
This is noted. Yes, maybe crack is worse, and maybe the laws should stay the same.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

All the race baiters have to love sentencing disparity.

1. Drugs that blacks use have higher sentences = government wants more blacks in prison.

2. Drugs that blacks use have lesser sentences = government wants more blacks to die or become drug addicts.

Heads I win, tails you lose.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:All the race baiters have to love sentencing disparity.

1. Drugs that blacks use have higher sentences = government wants more blacks in prison.

2. Drugs that blacks use have lesser sentences = government wants more blacks to die or become drug addicts.

Yeah. Either way, the war on drugs has been a huge failure, financially and socially. It just hasn't worked. I think it's time to take a look at another solution. I don't know what the end solution is, and I'm not an expert on the topic. But we spend billions on this and I think the time has come to go in another direction.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

You argued that the prison population could be reduced 50% (hence...#cut50) by equalizing cocaine sentences (something that's been done for years as I recall, btw) and getting rid of three strikes laws, which is laughable.

One more time: 54% of the prison population is violent criminals. 12% are people arrested for drug possession. 4% are arrested for drug distribution. If you legalized / decriminalized every drug, it would still only reduce the prison population by 16% (not really, but I won't get into that).
I don't recall arguing that. I'm pretty sure I just said reform was necessary, something that politicians on both sides seem to agree on.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:All the race baiters have to love sentencing disparity.

Yeah. Either way, the war on drugs has been a huge failure, financially and socially. It just hasn't worked. I think it's time to take a look at another solution. I don't know what the end solution is, and I'm not an expert on the topic. But we spend billions on this and I think the time has come to go in another direction.
Two biggest problems IMO:

1. We have a perverted system which is literally providing financial incentives for police to charge people with drug crimes. Jurisdictions are literally depending on grants/asset forfeiture from drug charges.

2. Few people know this, but the prison lobby is very influential as BAH said earlier (ETA: and also the prison guard union). It's pretty disturbing.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:the funny thing about this thread is all I asking for is what laws are you getting rid of and nobody can answer the question. I did read your post as I read others and I had a question. As for conservatives and laws I want there to be NO laws at all but have enough a brain to realize that without laws morons will do thing that harm society and harm other humans and affect other humans and thus we have laws to have SOME control on that. I think for myself on every topic, I use the brain in my head. I am not on board with growing gov. as our national and state gov. are involved in things that they have no business being in but IIWII so you deal with it as best you can.

no idea I guess.

I would get rid of laws that do no harm to anyone other than the perpetrator. Let a person smoke all the pot, crack and meth they want while shooting up heroine and snorting coke. As long as nobody else is harmed, a person should be able to do with their body as they please, especially within the confines of their home or property. That is to say, a person renting an apartment where the landlord forbids drug use should be able to do it in their parked car as long as they don't then turn on the ignition and drive off in it.

I would repeal prostitution laws. Minors should still be prohibited, and trafficking/slavery by forced servitude under a pimp should be illegal, but two consenting adults should be able to have sex for money if both parties agree to it. It's a practice as old as capitalism itself.

The laws which need to remain and be enforced are things like murder, rape, larceny/theft, vandalism, etc. Crimes are those which cause harm to another person's body or effects.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:[

I would get rid of laws that do no harm to anyone other than the perpetrator. Let a person smoke all the pot, crack and meth they want while shooting up heroine and snorting coke. As long as nobody else is harmed, a person should be able to do with their body as they please, especially within the confines of their home or property. That is to say, a person renting an apartment where the landlord forbids drug use should be able to do it in their parked car as long as they don't then turn on the ignition and drive off in it.

I would repeal prostitution laws. Minors should still be prohibited, and trafficking/slavery by forced servitude under a pimp should be illegal, but two consenting adults should be able to have sex for money if both parties agree to it. It's a practice as old as capitalism itself.

The laws which need to remain and be enforced are things like murder, rape, larceny/theft, vandalism, etc. Crimes are those which cause harm to another person's body or effects.
That's a gigantic caveat.

absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

This should just be your stock reply to everything as it pretty accurately reflects your views. At the very least it should be your signature.
do you agree or disagree that performing an illegal act in plain view is probably a really really dumb idea?
I disagree that someone is "generally dumber" based on the color of their skin.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

absolutvt03 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

What makes you dumber?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:[

That's a gigantic caveat.

https://tribwpmt.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -06-pm.png
If they hurt somebody then you charge and convict them of assault or gross negligence, etc. Hold them responsible for their actions, but don't throw a drug charge on top of it, unless it's DWI, which should most certainly remain illegal. I do strongly believe in personal responsibility. If you get wasted and then kill somebody you should most DEFINITELY be held accountable for that.

Be a responsible user. Stay safe while destroying yourself.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

Why? We have no problem associating all other sorts of traits based on race. Why would intelligence not be among them?

ETA:

ETA, part 2:

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/30 ... 0years.pdf
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

Why? We have no problem associating all other sorts of traits based on race. Why would intelligence not be among them?
I can't tell if this is actually a serious question or not...
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Death penalty for everything!
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

I can't tell if this is actually a serious question or not...
Feel free to critique the 60 page study authored by a UC Berkely professor in 2006. Have a nice day.