Anyone familiar with #cut50?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
cwtcr hokie

Re: Anyone familiar with #cut50?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I'm wrong about what? You don't think there is any need for prison reform at all? Are you a throw the baby out with the bathwater kinda guy?[/quote]

well if you steal a car that is not a violent crime so why send those folks that ignore that law to prison, right? [/quote]

Who are you arguing with here? I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be punishment for actions. It's a question of whether or not the punishment fits the crime. The only non-violent offense that has specifically been named as far as I can tell is drug related.[/quote]

The effort also targets three -strikes laws.[/quote]

so how many crimes do you give them? 10, 15 or 200[/quote]

I'm just going to let you keep assuming all sorts of unreasonable positions for me to take.[/quote]

or you could answer the question, if three strikes is not enough crimes to warrant a prison sentence how many are. how about a conversation instead of throwing out the "system is broke" but I have zero ideas on what to fix, lets do it buddy
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Until they rename it #cut16, you're still wrong.
I'm wrong about what? You don't think there is any need for prison reform at all? Are you a throw the baby out with the bathwater kinda guy?
well if you steal a car that is not a violent crime so why send those folks that ignore that law to prison, right?
Who are you arguing with here? I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be punishment for actions. It's a question of whether or not the punishment fits the crime. The only non-violent offense that has specifically been named as far as I can tell is drug related.
So what drugs are you making legal? all of them?
It's not about making drugs legal, it's about different versions of the same drug having different sentences. Or, three strikes and life sentences for "routine" offenses. Just because drugs are illegal doesn't mean you should go to jail for possession, or get significant jail time for possession. That's the debate and candidates on both the left and the right seem to be picking up on this.
ok, so drugs are still illegal but there is no deterrent at all to keep people off of them as there is not consequences for doing drugs, making drugs or selling drugs, right?

that should work out great. I assume you routinely hire crack heads and folks hooked on heroin, they make awesome employees
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:ok, so drugs are still illegal but there is no deterrent at all to keep people off of them as there is not consequences for doing drugs, making drugs or selling drugs, right?

that should work out great. I assume you routinely hire crack heads and folks hooked on heroin, they make awesome employees
Yep. And then these unemployable people have an expensive habit and thusly are out thieving and robbing to support their habit. Thusly them being a menace to society for a "victimless" crime. A lot of the people thinking drugs do no harm never lived through the 80s and saw the impact they have on communities. Locking the abusers up has definitely made communities safer. Even if drugs are made legal, they're still going to be too expensive for unemployable people looking to purchase them on with their BET cards.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I'm wrong about what? You don't think there is any need for prison reform at all? Are you a throw the baby out with the bathwater kinda guy?
well if you steal a car that is not a violent crime so why send those folks that ignore that law to prison, right? [/quote]

Who are you arguing with here? I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be punishment for actions. It's a question of whether or not the punishment fits the crime. The only non-violent offense that has specifically been named as far as I can tell is drug related.[/quote]

I'm just going to let you keep assuming all sorts of unreasonable positions for me to take.[/quote]

or you could answer the question, if three strikes is not enough crimes to warrant a prison sentence how many are. how about a conversation instead of throwing out the "system is broke" but I have zero ideas on what to fix, lets do it buddy[/quote]

The ideas on what to fix are presented in the Cut50 link that I shared at the beginning of this post. I don't think there is a magic number. I think it is flawed thinking. For example, let's say a man had two strikes when he was a teen. He commits a non-violent crime when he's 30 (and a father of two kids). Should he go to prison for effectively what is life? I don't think so - unless the crime is violent. So I don't know what the perfect number is. I DO now the answer can't simply be "just don't commit crime" because, people do stupid things and make mistakes. And a LOT of people are just lucky they've gotten away with it or had the resources to fight it.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:I'm wrong about what? You don't think there is any need for prison reform at all? Are you a throw the baby out with the bathwater kinda guy?
well if you steal a car that is not a violent crime so why send those folks that ignore that law to prison, right?

or you could answer the question, if three strikes is not enough crimes to warrant a prison sentence how many are. how about a conversation instead of throwing out the "system is broke" but I have zero ideas on what to fix, lets do it buddy[/quote]

The ideas on what to fix are presented in the Cut50 link that I shared at the beginning of this post. I don't think there is a magic number. I think it is flawed thinking. For example, let's say a man had two strikes when he was a teen. He commits a non-violent crime when he's 30 (and a father of two kids). Should he go to prison for effectively what is life? I don't think so - unless the crime is violent. So I don't know what the perfect number is. I DO now the answer can't simply be "just don't commit crime" because, people do stupid things and make mistakes. And a LOT of people are just lucky they've gotten away with it or had the resources to fight it.[/quote]

The other side of the reform argument isn't who goes it but what happens to who comes out. We put people in jail for extended periods, with no actual rehabilitation, them put them on the streets to do what?
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:ok, so drugs are still illegal but there is no deterrent at all to keep people off of them as there is not consequences for doing drugs, making drugs or selling drugs, right?

Yep. And then these unemployable people have an expensive habit and thusly are out thieving and robbing to support their habit. Thusly them being a menace to society for a "victimless" crime. A lot of the people thinking drugs do no harm never lived through the 80s and saw the impact they have on communities. Locking the abusers up has definitely made communities safer. Even if drugs are made legal, they're still going to be too expensive for unemployable people looking to purchase them on with their BET cards.
I didn't think it possible but you've gotten even more racist. Congratulations.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Up yours asshat.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Up yours asshat.
Jesus saves. Merry Christmas AG. I know your back is f**ked up but you don't HAVE to be.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Up yours asshat.
Jesus saves. Merry Christmas AG. I know your back is f**ked up but you don't HAVE to be.
You're a dick and a stupid one to boot. Get lost.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Up yours asshat.
You're a dick and a stupid one to boot. Get lost.
Remember the reason for the season AG.
Last edited by Florida Hokie on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

Florida Hokie wrote:
The ideas on what to fix are presented in the Cut50 link that I shared at the beginning of this post. I don't think there is a magic number. I think it is flawed thinking. For example, let's say a man had two strikes when he was a teen. He commits a non-violent crime when he's 30 (and a father of two kids). Should he go to prison for effectively what is life? I don't think so - unless the crime is violent. So I don't know what the perfect number is. I DO now the answer can't simply be "just don't commit crime" because, people do stupid things and make mistakes. And a LOT of people are just lucky they've gotten away with it or had the resources to fight it.
The only people allowed to make mistakes are police officers... duh.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:Remember the reason for the seaosn AG.
Go away loser.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Who are you arguing with here? I don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be punishment for actions. It's a question of whether or not the punishment fits the crime. The only non-violent offense that has specifically been named as far as I can tell is drug related.

The ideas on what to fix are presented in the Cut50 link that I shared at the beginning of this post. I don't think there is a magic number. I think it is flawed thinking. For example, let's say a man had two strikes when he was a teen. He commits a non-violent crime when he's 30 (and a father of two kids). Should he go to prison for effectively what is life? I don't think so - unless the crime is violent. So I don't know what the perfect number is. I DO now the answer can't simply be "just don't commit crime" because, people do stupid things and make mistakes. And a LOT of people are just lucky they've gotten away with it or had the resources to fight it.[/quote]

The other side of the reform argument isn't who goes it but what happens to who comes out. We put people in jail for extended periods, with no actual rehabilitation, them put them on the streets to do what?[/quote]

summarize for me, what crimes are we getting rid of? what drugs are legal?. And yes, again for a huge part of the American population we realize there is a consequence for breaking written laws and CHOOSE not to put ourselves in that position thus most people do not end up in jail. As for example considering how many crimes are never tried and handled long before court that person you describe is not likely to get sent away for three strikes in your scenario. But I will ask again, how many crimes are you giving someone? A lot of the folks I see on the new committing crimes somehow they are still among us with a rap sheet that is pages long.... hmmmm
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote: that's a canard though. Crack and cocaine aren't equivalents from a risk and impact standpoint. That's like saying whiskey and beer are the same because they both have alcohol.
They are basically identical at the molecular level, one is smoked, one is snorted. The high comes quicker when smoked. I'm sure you disagree and I'm sure you're right.

You can get a DUI from both whiskey and beer.
People who know, know.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:summarize for me, what crimes are we getting rid of? what drugs are legal?. And yes, again for a huge part of the American population we realize there is a consequence for breaking written laws and CHOOSE not to put ourselves in that position thus most people do not end up in jail. As for example considering how many crimes are never tried and handled long before court that person you describe is not likely to get sent away for three strikes in your scenario. But I will ask again, how many crimes are you giving someone? A lot of the folks I see on the new committing crimes somehow they are still among us with a rap sheet that is pages long.... hmmmm
I appreciate that you have repeated the same, as to yet unargued by anyone here, position. Why don't we just leave it at that. I'll mark you down as a "the system works perfectly as is".
l
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Go away loser.
Are you mad that Oakie is gone?

Is it the pain in your back - which i don't wish upon you?

You usually aren't QUITE this dickheadish but I've not been around as much so maybe I've missed something.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
I'm wrong about what? You don't think there is any need for prison reform at all? Are you a throw the baby out with the bathwater kinda guy?
well if you steal a car that is not a violent crime so why send those folks that ignore that law to prison, right? punishments are a deterrent to some, for others that don't give a damn what the laws are they are a minor nuisance until they end up in prison, then it sucks for them
So you don't think there is any need for reform in the criminal justice system? If so, that's fine. Just say so.
reform it how, what specific laws are you getting rid of? then lets talk, what drugs are legal, all of them or just pot. I mean heroin is great (for the people hooked on it, not so great for society as a whole) So what drugs do you want legal? What crimes are you saying are worth going to prison for. I mean sex between two humans, why is that illegal, how do you know wether the 14 year old the 30 year old is banging is advanced for her age, no violence, consensual so no prison, right?

Yes there are some dumb laws and any gov function can be reformed but the best best best way to lower the rapidly rising crime rates and prison population is for the dumb asses that commit crimes and ignore laws....TO STOP DOING THAT OR NEVER START TO BEGIN WITH!

Stat I saw the other day 96% of charges never get to trial, plea bargained or dismissed. So all those folks that decide laws do not apply to them usually never go to jail to start with and realize there is zero punishment for ignoring laws. Or what is your explanation for people that have 20 or more charges on their police record?
Pleading out vs. Going to trial is actually why MORE socio-economically disadvantaged people are in prison. The poor plea. The middle class has attorneys.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote: that's a canard though. Crack and cocaine aren't equivalents from a risk and impact standpoint. That's like saying whiskey and beer are the same because they both have alcohol.
They are basically identical at the molecular level, one is smoked, one is snorted. The high comes quicker when smoked. I'm sure you disagree and I'm sure you're right.

You can get a DUI from both whiskey and beer.
They're not identical at a potency level, thus the varying risk. I am right because the facts are on my side, which I'm sure you'll still disagree with regardless of the evidence.

You can get a DUI from any alcohol. But you're legally drunk if you consume the same volume of whiskey that's in one beer and you're not legally drunk after consuming one beer. That's partially why you can buy beer most anywhere, but whiskey is controlled. Same factors are at play with crack vs. cocaine. Cracker gets you much higher and faster than cocaine. It's a more dangerous form of the same substance.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:

The ideas on what to fix are presented in the Cut50 link that I shared at the beginning of this post. I don't think there is a magic number. I think it is flawed thinking. For example, let's say a man had two strikes when he was a teen. He commits a non-violent crime when he's 30 (and a father of two kids). Should he go to prison for effectively what is life? I don't think so - unless the crime is violent. So I don't know what the perfect number is. I DO now the answer can't simply be "just don't commit crime" because, people do stupid things and make mistakes. And a LOT of people are just lucky they've gotten away with it or had the resources to fight it.[/quote]bad example. The juvie crimes don't count for three strikes
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Go away loser.

You usually aren't QUITE this dickheadish but I've not been around as much so maybe I've missed something.

You're an ass. That should be reason enough for you to understand being called an ass. And yeah, you driving oakton off because you're a little girl that can't tolerate differing opinions makes you a bigger ass.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:Pleading out vs. Going to trial is actually why MORE socio-economically disadvantaged people are in prison. The poor plea. The middle class has attorneys.
Naw, they're just dumb and that's why they're also on drugs and poor in the first place. They get lawyers too, paid for by you and me. They're just too dumb to fight the charges or fight with laughably absurd versions of events, discrediting themselves in the process. And then call the judge a MFer or something like that, getting even harsher sentencing.

But there is an issue with overcharging. The DA will bring the book with heavier charges, hoping they plea to a "lesser" charge which is what they should have been charged with in the first place. I agree that's an unfair practice that needs addressing. But they still have lawyers available, they're just too dumb to effectively use them.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
So what drugs are you making legal? all of them?
It's not about making drugs legal, it's about different versions of the same drug having different sentences. Or, three strikes and life sentences for "routine" offenses. Just because drugs are illegal doesn't mean you should go to jail for possession, or get significant jail time for possession. That's the debate and candidates on both the left and the right seem to be picking up on this.
#cut50

Yes it is. You guys sound like the folks who say we're going to balance the budget by cutting pork spending, or the military.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Go away loser.

You're an ass. That should be reason enough for you to understand being called an ass. And yeah, you driving oakton off because you're a little girl that can't tolerate differing opinions makes you a bigger ass.
The little girl is the one that ran off because he couldn't play in the sandbox.

But at least I now know the source of your anguish. Don't worry. Oakie is still looming I'm sure and he'll be back with his daily parade of Rush updates.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:The little girl is the one that ran off because he couldn't play in the sandbox.

But at least I now know the source of your anguish. Don't worry. Oakie is still looming I'm sure and he'll be back with his daily parade of Rush updates.
Your only contribution to the board is ranting and raving about Oakton. And he's the girl? LOL
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:The little girl is the one that ran off because he couldn't play in the sandbox.

Your only contribution to the board is ranting and raving about Oakton. And he's the girl? LOL
Your only contribution to this board is calling everyone a dumbass and being as racist as you can - about 10,000 more times than anyone else.

I started a post with a topic for discussion that you came in and acted like a shithead from the word go.

MOST people are glad Oakie's gone and would be if you were too. The difference between you and me is I can turn off being a dick when I want. It's innate in you.

It is HYSTERICAL that you are, as USN would say "butt hurt" over Oakie's absence considering how you used to insist you didn't treat him differently.