Girl refuses to wear 666 bib for race

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: Girl refuses to wear 666 bib for race

Post by RiverguyVT »

Valencia Hokie wrote:You do see the box you're opening, right? Step away from the cliff...very slowly.
Don't know where I came across as condemning HER. I was just egging BG on with other misguided theological convictions. I love it when he waxes theological.

That being said, I think it's a great opportunity for her parents and/or pastor to explain the significance of said number and "hopefully" help her understand that even in the strictest of literal interpretations of Revelation, a racing bib number is not "the sign of the beast." I think she is free to race without even a hint of wronging her relationship with God. But she needs to be convinced of that herself.

THAT being said, as naive is she is being called, she is giving up something she's worked really hard for on principle. As misguided as I think her understanding is, I do respect her resolve. She's not just turning down a free slurpee, she's setting aside a season of work and apparently accomplishment. That's a principled person and I have to respect that.
Maybe it was how I read it; it clearly came off to me that you were mocking her stance (by comparison w/ the "pants" thing). The belittlement was implied, the way I read it.

I think she is free to race without even a hint of wronging her relationship with God. But she needs to be convinced of that herself. No/yes. You might be free, and I might be free, to race w/ that number. The girl was not. You & I aren't go-betweens in that relationship she has with God. And yes, she needs to be convinced herself. She wasn't.

We're all called individually. Sometimes that can result in differences. Like this one. I don't see where what she claims is in conflict/contrast with biblical dictates. At least, not to my understanding (feeble as it may be). As such, it passes any snuff test I'd give it. We are in agreement about her resolve, and her being principled.

I live on the edge, but it isn't clear to me what edge you beckon me away from.
So, obviously, we must go there! ;)
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.