Augusta County schools shut down.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HvilleHokie

Re: Augusta County schools shut down.

Post by HvilleHokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:I'm a graduate of riverheads and the teacher in question lives next door to my parents. She coaches the cheerleading team at riverheads and has been a strong member of the community and school for years.

I'm sure she wishes she had not used the workbook with this particular phrase, but it was one that is partnered with the sol lesson that she was working towards.

The mother has a vendetta is looking for attention. Her Facebook page is full of glee at the attention she is receiving. When she approached the school, they dismissed her because she is a known crazy.

I support Laporte and the Augusta county schools standing by her.
I don't. We don't need to teach anything about religion in public schools. Do you have any idea of what the lesson she is working towards is?
You simply cannot teach history, sociology, geography, literature, or art withou touching on religion. I hope we don't remove those topics from our curriculum.

Yes, I know what she was teaching. It is part of the Virginia SOL curriculum. And she didn't create the lesson herself. It was part of a workbook she was using in support of the sols.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

absolutvt03 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
If it is admittedly a terrible phrase to have used, then that means there's a reason not to have used it. Right? What's that reason?
You'd have to take that up with the makers of the lesson book. Looks like it's got a release date of 1995 so the person who was involved is probably no longer there. You can buy a copy for yourself at:
http://www.christianbookstore.net/world ... og-526529/
Whoosh!
No. Someone said it was "terrible" and I asked for that reason. I don't need to take it up with anyone at the bookstore. :geek:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I can easily teach a lesson to inform children what islam is, what Christianity is, what whirling dirvishes are....without making the students do something that: a) endorses any of those faiths; nor, b) is prohibited by their own.
Since you keep bringing it up, what do you think is prohibited. I'm assuming you are talking about having no Gods before me.
If so, the context around that is people worshiping foreign gods, idols, and material goods. The key term being worshipping. I'm pretty sure my God understands that doing a homework assignment is not equal to worshipping, or taking, another God as your own god.

How do you see this differently?
This isn't about what you think God thinks. The passage is a declarative.
It is a blasphemy for Christians. There is no reason they would have to write that out to study what islam is, any more than they should write out "Jesus, Son of God, please come into my heart. I take you as my Lord and Savior and ask You to bear my sins..." when studying/learning about Christianity (which would offend Jewish or islamic students. Right?)

Taking the Lord's name in vain comes to mind foremost....dealing with God and speaking of God in a way that empties Him of His significance. That's a sin. Period.
Everything regarding Christianity is about what an individual thinks God thinks, with regard to their life.
To me, writing that sentence, in a language I don't know, isn't a declarative sentence, because I'm not actually declaring anything. It was a terrible phrase for them to use, and I suspect it wasn't just a "mistake", but it doesn't offend me to the degree that it did a few of the people of Augusa County.
Of course, everyone is welcome to their opinion.
Everything regarding Christianity is about what an individual thinks God thinks, with regard to their life. - We could go into a whole new thread and stretch it out 20 pages on this topic alone, if we wanted. :) Let's agree that I just disagree. :)

If it is admittedly a terrible phrase to have used, then that means there's a reason not to have used it. Right? What's that reason?

Offense- If varying degrees of offense could be taken, or if there are varying opinions, the phrase shouldn't have been used. At least, that's where we are with so many things today (the "n" word; symbols; phrases like "illegal immigrant"; etc). What packs a punch here is that to many, the exercise is indeed a forced (coerced) blasphemy, and violation of a Commandment.

isn't a declarative sentence
-I'm being a grammar nazi, I admit, but yeah. It is a declarative sentence. (<---just like that one is)
It is a declarative sentence, and it is applicable in that context, to Muslims, i.e. people who believe it. To the kids doing their homework, it is writing, in Arabic, a belief that Muslims hold. To the students, it is not a declaration.
The reason not to use it is because there are other sentences you could have them write, that are 100% benign. Although I am fairly certain that someone would have been offended that they were writing anything in Arabic.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

HvilleHokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:I'm a graduate of riverheads and the teacher in question lives next door to my parents. She coaches the cheerleading team at riverheads and has been a strong member of the community and school for years.

I'm sure she wishes she had not used the workbook with this particular phrase, but it was one that is partnered with the sol lesson that she was working towards.

The mother has a vendetta is looking for attention. Her Facebook page is full of glee at the attention she is receiving. When she approached the school, they dismissed her because she is a known crazy.

I support Laporte and the Augusta county schools standing by her.
I don't. We don't need to teach anything about religion in public schools. Do you have any idea of what the lesson she is working towards is?
Right. Touching on it.

You simply cannot teach history, sociology, geography, literature, or art withou touching on religion. I hope we don't remove those topics from our curriculum.

Yes, I know what she was teaching. It is part of the Virginia SOL curriculum. And she didn't create the lesson herself. It was part of a workbook she was using in support of the sols.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The reason not to use it is because there are other sentences you could have them write, that are 100% benign.
Exactly. 100% correct.
Salute the Marines
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

My mom spoke to her today. She's had multiple death threats and now has a police officer with her at all times.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HvilleHokie wrote:My mom spoke to her today. She's had multiple death threats and now has a police officer with her at all times.
That's terrible. Death threats. What a world we're in.
Salute the Marines
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I can easily teach a lesson to inform children what islam is, what Christianity is, what whirling dirvishes are....without making the students do something that: a) endorses any of those faiths; nor, b) is prohibited by their own.
Since you keep bringing it up, what do you think is prohibited. I'm assuming you are talking about having no Gods before me.
If so, the context around that is people worshiping foreign gods, idols, and material goods. The key term being worshipping. I'm pretty sure my God understands that doing a homework assignment is not equal to worshipping, or taking, another God as your own god.

It is a blasphemy for Christians. There is no reason they would have to write that out to study what islam is, any more than they should write out "Jesus, Son of God, please come into my heart. I take you as my Lord and Savior and ask You to bear my sins..." when studying/learning about Christianity (which would offend Jewish or islamic students. Right?)

Taking the Lord's name in vain comes to mind foremost....dealing with God and speaking of God in a way that empties Him of His significance. That's a sin. Period.
They didn't know what they were writing. She never told them the translation. It was just a calligraphy assignment! No evil intent. No evil action.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
The reason not to use it is because there are other sentences you could have them write, that are 100% benign.
Exactly. 100% correct.
That's also a benign sentence to someone that isn't Muslim. It's much ado about nothing. Righteous indignation at it's best IMO.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

If I may is the use of Allah the perceived problem :?:

The reason I asked is on my cousins facebook page there are 746 post complaining about writing out Allah...when I merely pointed out that Allah is merely Arabic for God...even Arab Christians (millions of them) like Coptic's, Syrian Orthodox and many other Eastern Rites Churches refer to the Biblical God as Allah...now there are 228 more post calling me an idiot. There just isn't any pleasing some people. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:If I may is the use of Allah the perceived problem :?:

The reason I asked is on my cousins facebook page there are 746 post complaining about writing out Allah...when I merely pointed out that Allah is merely Arabic for God...even Arab Christians (millions of them) like Coptic's, Syrian Orthodox and many other Eastern Rites Churches refer to the Biblical God as Allah...now there are 228 more post calling me an idiot. There just isn't any pleasing some people. :D
It's the whole thing, That's the islamic declaration of faith. So the kids are writing what muslims say when they convert and affirm that they're muslims.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:It's the whole thing, That's the islamic declaration of faith. So the kids are writing what muslims say when they convert and affirm that they're muslims.
Naw the umbrage directed at me was wholly centered around the use of Allah. For some reason they thought that Allah was the name of the Islam God, not the Arabic word meaning God...it's like damn foreigners have a different word for everything :!:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's the whole thing, That's the islamic declaration of faith. So the kids are writing what muslims say when they convert and affirm that they're muslims.
Naw the umbrage directed at me was wholly centered around the use of Allah. For some reason they thought that Allah was the name of the Islam God, not the Arabic word meaning God...it's like damn foreigners have a different word for everything :!:
I see. What I said is why it's troublesome for me.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

HvilleHokie wrote:My mom spoke to her today. She's had multiple death threats and now has a police officer with her at all times.
She shouldn't have done it. It was stupid. And I see no reason to study religion in detail in grades K-12.
absolutvt03
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
She shouldn't have done it. It was stupid. And I see no reason to study religion in detail in grades K-12.
I'm sorry... are ... are you trying to justify death threats against a teacher??
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

absolutvt03 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
I'm sorry... are ... are you trying to justify death threats against a teacher??
I would have told her not to do that, that it could incited a riot or caused death threats. I would have been right. That doesn't mean that I think the people making death threats are okay to do so. It's using caution. She wasn't careful with what she was doing. She caused this.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Islam has really brought about a renaissance of church-state separation. That's great. Hell, Todd Starnes even took the time away from bitching about teachers not being allowed to lead students in Christian prayer to bitch about this. I'm sure, like all of you, he'll be consistent in the future note that he's seen the value of the wall of separation.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/12/ ... allah.html
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

miles wrote:
Major Kong wrote:This has been all over my facebook page and I haven't really got involved because facebook is for Bloom County 2015 only. :)

I've got several relatives in Augusta County evenly split between Riverheads and Buffalo Gap. :) They've been waging a facebook battle this week over the issue about a 50/50 split.

My attitude is if we're so weak in our assessment of our youth that we think that transcribing Arabic Calligraphy will somehow lead them to joining the ranks of Sunni or Shia Islam, all go on hadj to Mecca and become part of a global jihad then it is the collective we that have failed.

Since when has assigning a school project to students started scaring the beejeebus not out of the students but the parents and other adults?
Since they kicked Jesus out of school as well as all other local and municipal activities.
:roll:
How does one kick JC out of school? I thought he was everywhere, always...
Last edited by Uprising on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Uprising wrote:Islam has really brought about a renaissance of church-state separation. That's great. Hell, Todd Starnes even took the time away from bitching about teachers not being allowed to lead students in Christian prayer to bitch about this. I'm sure, like all of you, he'll be consistent in the future note that he's seen the value of the wall of separation.

It's just another reason not to have religion in school. That goes for all sides.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

They didn't know what they were writing. She never told them the translation. It was just a calligraphy assignment! No evil intent. No evil action.
I'm pretty sure I said earlier that it is doubtful the teacher had malintent.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Exactly. 100% correct.
That's also a benign sentence to someone that isn't Muslim. It's much ado about nothing. Righteous indignation at it's best IMO.
It surely isn't a benign sentence for anyone not muslim. Quite the opposite, to many.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Uprising wrote:Islam has really brought about a renaissance of church-state separation. That's great. Hell, Todd Starnes even took the time away from bitching about teachers not being allowed to lead students in Christian prayer to bitch about this. I'm sure, like all of you, he'll be consistent in the future note that he's seen the value of the wall of separation.

You do realize it is a theocratic belief set, don't you? You're leading off w an oxymoron....
Salute the Marines
Uprising

Post by Uprising »

RiverguyVT wrote:

You do realize it is a theocratic belief set, don't you? You're leading off w an oxymoron....
You do realize I was referencing the people who bitch when they can't have their version of a Christian theocracy, don't you? As I've said time and again here, you guys would bitch up a storm if the things you usually cheer for (or at least think are nbd) if it references your god, referenced their god instead. I was not disappointed.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Exactly. 100% correct.
It surely isn't a benign sentence for anyone not muslim. Quite the opposite, to many.
Quite the opposite...to a few, IMO. There are always going to be some people upset about something at some time. It's human nature. The question is how we act, or react, to those situations. Society today seems to be in full knee-jerk mode on a whole range of things across all political, racial, religious, etc. lines. We are becoming a more and more intolerant people.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
HokieDan95 wrote:ace of spades is calling bullshirt on the shut down
i tend to agree
http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=360629
Yeah. I didn't see the need in a shut down. But I also don't see the need in inciting something. In an area like this, it's pretty obvious that if you do something like this, there is going to be a backlash.
You mean an area with a bunch of ignorant necks?

Say what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.