Virginia to end concealed carry reciprocity

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Virginia to end concealed carry reciprocity

Post by awesome guy »

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Virginia to end concealed carry reciprocity

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:thanks NOVA idiots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... ?tid=sm_fb
Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

I hope you're more intelligent in your personal life than you are here.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

Finally, laws are being passed that will save countless lives.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

We can count them, 0. That's number of people fitting into this bracket the anti-constitution democrats are after.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Where's the data justifying this action? Th Governor needs to quantify the number of recip CCW holders in VA that would be legally barred from obtaining a Va CCW permit.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

It's by executive/judicial fiat- like many other progressive douchebag initiatives. McAulliffe didn't have the balls to try to get this dogsqueeze passed thru the legislature. All I can say is, wait until the shoe is on the other foot proggies. You won't like.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't either, but I'm long past giving a shiite. I'm sick of this end-around BS. If you want a GD banana republic, then get ready for the party.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:Finally, laws are being passed that will save countless lives.
Which laws are those?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:Finally, laws are being passed that will save countless lives.
Which laws are those?
If you want to be technical, the AG provided an interpretation of the law.
HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

it a "thank you" move to Bloomberg for all the money he gave Va Democrats in the last election
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieDan95 wrote:it a "thank you" move to Bloomberg for all the money he gave Va Democrats in the last election
[emoji106]

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Homebrew wrote:Where's the data justifying this action? Th Governor needs to quantify the number of recip CCW holders in VA that would be legally barred from obtaining a Va CCW permit.

I haven't seen a single case where someone getting a CCW out of state caused a shooting. This is just silly and harasses people traveling through VA. I have some friends up north that travel through to NC and are perplexed by this. This move the by the governor is just chum for the low info types and makes life more challenging for people following the law. Does nothing to deter criminal activity.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Homebrew wrote:Where's the data justifying this action? Th Governor needs to quantify the number of recip CCW holders in VA that would be legally barred from obtaining a Va CCW permit.

I haven't seen a single case where someone getting a CCW out of state caused a shooting. This is just silly and harasses people traveling through VA. I have some friends up north that travel through to NC and are perplexed by this. This move the by the governor is just chum for the low info types and makes life more challenging for people following the law. Does nothing to deter criminal activity.
I don't have any data but i but I don't imagine the fact whether they had a CCW would be publicized. I'm sure it's known by police. I can't imagine the number is 0 but I also can't imagine the number is very high.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

I don't have any data but i but I don't imagine the fact whether they had a CCW would be publicized. I'm sure it's known by police. I can't imagine the number is 0 but I also can't imagine the number is very high.

I'm sure it would be publicized. It's nonsense to associate CCW reciprocality with an increase crime. They're for defensive purposes. The people getting them have them to protect themselves, not as a permission slip to commit other crimes. If anything, it would put people at risk, like the lady in NJ who was being stalked by an ex and couldn't get a CCW permit within months. She was killed by her ex and could have legally defended herself if she had her CCW permit. People like that are affected by this, not criminals.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

They should do the same with marriage licenses...oh, that's right, they can't. More liberal hypocrisy...
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Hokie5150 wrote:

They should do the same with marriage licenses...oh, that's right, they can't. More liberal hypocrisy...
Yes they can. What they can't do is do it based on discriminatory reasons, i.e. they can't deny only marriage between same sex couples from one state but allow other marriages from that state. Not to mention the public backlash would be overwhelming and thus politically prohibitive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

It's by executive/judicial fiat- like many other progressive douchebag initiatives. McAulliffe didn't have the balls to try to get this dogsqueeze passed thru the legislature. All I can say is, wait until the shoe is on the other foot proggies. You won't like.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't either, but I'm long past giving a shiite. I'm sick of this end-around BS. If you want a GD banana republic, then get ready for the party.
Not a fan but not something to go thru the legislature either. The GA passed a CC law with a certain framework. What the Gov/AG has done is eliminate reciprocity with those states that have CC regs/processes that are more lax or lenient than VAs. In fact VA still has reciprocity with some states as their laws are equivalent or more stringent.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Good stuff.

Not a fan but not something to go thru the legislature either. The GA passed a CC law with a certain framework. What the Gov/AG has done is eliminate reciprocity with those states that have CC regs/processes that are more lax or lenient than VAs. In fact VA still has reciprocity with some states as their laws are equivalent or more stringent.
why not? And do we trust this AG and governor to honestly assess equivalency? I think it's mostly payback to Bloomberg for the anti-gun money.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

I don't have any data but i but I don't imagine the fact whether they had a CCW would be publicized.
Actually, it is. When someone is arrested, they'll list the charges. When was the last time you read about someone from another state being charged with carrying a concealed handgun without a permit?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote: What the Gov/AG has done is eliminate reciprocity with those states that have CC regs/processes that are more lax or lenient than VAs.
That's a gross oversimplification at best. There are plenty of states with far more stringent concealed carry laws which are not on that list. The AG is nit-picking with the sole purpose of suppressing people's right to bear arms.

I have a Florida permit. I have a Virginia permit. The conditions to get a permit are exactly the same. Both states take fingerprints - they even use the same card and have the same notary requirement. Both use a NICS check before issuing a permit.

My guess is that the AG looked at what crimes the states report to the NICS system as prohibitive. There will be nuances between the States as each state writes its own laws. He used this to nit pick technicalities. Here's the rub though: a NICS check doesn't change depending on where its initiated. So, if someone in Fl was convicted of a crime which would prohibit them in VA, a VA NICS check wouldn't pop. So that same person could get a VA issued permit no problem.

Now, on the other hand, MD's permit system is so strict that I can't even get a permit. But somehow, a MD permit isn't good in VA anyways.

This is going to end up hurting Virginians more than out of state people as the dropped states start responding in kind.

ETA: the other stupid nuance he's probably using is the difference between a concealed handgun permit (what VA issues) and a concealed weapon permit (what some other States issue). CWP's usually include archaic weapons like "blackjacks" (Google that one to see how stupid this is) and ninja throwing stars which were banned after west side story came out.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Don't forget all the Sarvis voters. At least they can go to sleep at night confident that women aren't being raped with ultrasounds....
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Don't forget all the Sarvis voters. At least they can go to sleep at night confident that women aren't being raped with ultrasounds....
I don't think most people care as much as you do.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Why do people persist with this false argument?