Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BG Hokie

Re: Tamir Rice Shows You Can Get Away With Murder

Post by BG Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Sorry but the cops did nothing wrong and the kid's parent need to be in prison for the rest of their sorry lives. Image
What did the parents do wrong?
They didn't tell him not to run around with a gun and point it at people.
Yeah, great point, when I was 12, I obeyed every rule my parents ever laid down.

These are honestly the most stupid posts I read on these boards. When I was 12 I got in a fight in school. I guess we could just blame my parents...
Lol. It's not a fight at school. It's a fake gun that looks like a real gun. It's not staying up 15 minutes past curfew. It a fake gun that looks real. My post was stupid?
Yes, your post was beyond stupid unless you were being sarcastic.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote: I truly believe if the kid were white, he'd be alive, not because the officer is necessarily a bigot but because of subconscious bias on the perception of threat.
Don't you think that a cop in Cleveland should have a biased perception of a threat (as opposed to say...a Blacksburg Police Officer)? That sounds completely reasonable to me.
Yes, I think so, and based on crime statistics it's probably logical that a black adolescent is a bigger perceived risk than a white kid to your average police officer. Now tell me again how I'm crazy for thinking this kid would be alive if he were white?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:Sorry but the cops did nothing wrong and the kid's parent need to be in prison for the rest of their sorry lives. Image
Yeah, great point, when I was 12, I obeyed every rule my parents ever laid down.

These are honestly the most stupid posts I read on these boards. When I was 12 I got in a fight in school. I guess we could just blame my parents...
Lol. It's not a fight at school. It's a fake gun that looks like a real gun. It's not staying up 15 minutes past curfew. It a fake gun that looks real. My post was stupid?
No, he's not the one writing stupid posts.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:... I can't imagine the number of errors that took place by the one to two officers on the scene.
One-and-five-eighths cop? :P
BG Hokie wrote:I truly believe if the kid were white, he'd be alive, not because the officer is necessarily a bigot but because of subconscious bias on the perception of threat.
Yeah. Anecdotally, I know of a City of Richmond cop that was being charged by his (black) co-workers, internally through H.R., of racism against blacks. They had a hearing and everything. Allowed the accused cop to bring in character witnesses, to help prove the negative. Not only has he not stopped beating his wife, but she took the witness stand on his behalf. She's black. She assured City of Richmond Police H.R. that her white husband was not, in fact, racist against blacks. Further evidence was apparent as several mulatto children of his sat in the lobby.

I doubt this officer is a bigot, either.

Kid shouldn't have been running around with a gun.
At 12, I shouldn't have been running around with M-80s.
Great anecdote and one that clearly misses the point. Who said the officer is a bigot? I didn't and I don't necessarily think he is... I just think that it's likely the 12 year old was perceived to be more of a threat because he was black than if he were white. Is it that hard to understand?

People who are not racist, don't necessarily have the same reaction when they see people of different races? In this day and age, racism if you can even call it that, is more likely subconscious.
That's not racism.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:... I can't imagine the number of errors that took place by the one to two officers on the scene.
One-and-five-eighths cop? [emoji14]
BG Hokie wrote:I truly believe if the kid were white, he'd be alive, not because the officer is necessarily a bigot but because of subconscious bias on the perception of threat.
Yeah. Anecdotally, I know of a City of Richmond cop that was being charged by his (black) co-workers, internally through H.R., of racism against blacks. They had a hearing and everything. Allowed the accused cop to bring in character witnesses, to help prove the negative. Not only has he not stopped beating his wife, but she took the witness stand on his behalf. She's black. She assured City of Richmond Police H.R. that her white husband was not, in fact, racist against blacks. Further evidence was apparent as several mulatto children of his sat in the lobby.

Great anecdote and one that clearly misses the point. Who said the officer is a bigot? I didn't and I don't necessarily think he is... I just think that it's likely the 12 year old was perceived to be more of a threat because he was black than if he were white. Is it that hard to understand?

People who are not racist, don't necessarily have the same reaction when they see people of different races? In this day and age, racism if you can even call it that, is more likely subconscious.
You're clearly parsing words now. Just admit there was no racism involved and this was a case of the kid picking the wrong way to be a knucklehead.

CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote: I truly believe if the kid were white, he'd be alive, not because the officer is necessarily a bigot but because of subconscious bias on the perception of threat.
Don't you think that a cop in Cleveland should have a biased perception of a threat (as opposed to say...a Blacksburg Police Officer)? That sounds completely reasonable to me.
Yes, I think so, and based on crime statistics it's probably logical that a black adolescent is a bigger perceived risk than a white kid to your average police officer. Now tell me again how I'm crazy for thinking this kid would be alive if he were white?
So. What is your point? Whose fault is it? If it is logical that blacks are perceived to be more dangerous, then this sort of thing should be expected.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

I think trying to ascertain the conversations that were held between parents and their dead child, neither of whom you know, to be a little silly, yes. Unless you are trying to advance some sort of agenda.
Your first sentence makes no sense. Stick to one sentence or a one word post like you normally do.
It actually makes perfect sense, I'm beginning to think you're dumb for not thinking so.

Keep in mind, I think ip is generally a useless douche and you generally entertain me. Not a good thread for you, step away, step away.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote: Yeah, great point, when I was 12, I obeyed every rule my parents ever laid down.

I think trying to ascertain the conversations that were held between parents and their dead child, neither of whom you know, to be a little silly, yes. Unless you are trying to advance some sort of agenda.
Your first sentence makes no sense. Stick to one sentence or a one word post like you normally do.
It actually makes perfect sense, I'm beginning to think you're dumb for not thinking so.

Keep in mind, I think ip is generally a useless douche and you generally entertain me. Not a good thread for you, step away, step away.
Thanks BG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

You compared a school fight to waving a gun around out in public. Lol. A twelve year old boy should know not to run out in to traffic. He should know that waving a gun around in public is extremely dangerous. Fighting at school? Not as dangerous. And who started the fight?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote: Yeah, great point, when I was 12, I obeyed every rule my parents ever laid down.

Try again. You called this a murder and racism and that's just stupid and unsupported by facts. It's your own racist opinion in that you assume the cop is a racist too when it was self defense from a threat.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
One-and-five-eighths cop? :P

That's not racism.
I never said it was... I said he would be alive if he were white.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
You compared a school fight to waving a gun around out in public. Lol. A twelve year old boy should know not to run out in to traffic. He should know that waving a gun around in public is extremely dangerous. Fighting at school? Not as dangerous. And who started the fight?
No, I didn't. Not at all. That's naïve for you to think that's the point I was making. You blamed the parents because they didn't tell the kid not to run around pointing a BB gun at people.

I simply commented on how dumb of a thought process that was for you to blame the parents.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
So. What is your point? Whose fault is it? If it is logical that blacks are perceived to be more dangerous, then this sort of thing should be expected.
My original point was that if the kid were white, he'd be alive.

If we, as a society, can begin to understand that we perceive races and people differently than I think we can begin to counter subconscious biases that can have tragic consequences.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
Your first sentence makes no sense. Stick to one sentence or a one word post like you normally do.[/quote][/quote]

Keep in mind, I think ip is generally a useless douche and you generally entertain me. Not a good thread for you, step away, step away.[/quote]

You think parents can have a conversation with their dead child? I don't. If you do, and it makes sense to you, have at it.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

If we, as a society, can begin to understand that we perceive races and people differently than I think we can begin to counter subconscious biases that can have tragic consequences.
That would require you to go against human nature. Good luck with that. It won't happen. We perceive a difference, because there is a difference. It's not subconscious. I already pointed that out in the case of the white woman. She is going to be perceived as less dangerous, because on the whole, she is. There isn't anything that you can do about this. It's here. The best thing that can happen is for black people to commit less crime and the statistics change. Once that happens, people may change their views. Until then, good luck. No amount of training will help.

There is one thing that you could attempt. Put black officers in mostly black neighborhoods. My guess, is that in short order they will start to complain that they are working the high crime areas and its not fair. They would complain that black officers are in more danger than white officers. Oops.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
No, I didn't. Not at all. That's naïve for you to think that's the point I was making. You blamed the parents because they didn't tell the kid not to run around pointing a BB gun at people.

I simply commented on how dumb of a thought process that was for you to blame the parents.
Yes. Yes I did. The fact that he was doing something like that leads me to believe that they didn't. It would be like not telling your child not to run out in front of a car. They also did not property supervise the kid. But, in reality, they shouldn't have bought the fake gun in the first place. A fake gun in a neighborhood known for gang violence can be a recipe for disaster.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

It's dumb to teach your kids not to point guns at people, especially police?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

So now it's racism again?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote: Great anecdote and one that clearly misses the point. Who said the officer is a bigot? I didn't and I don't necessarily think he is... I just think that it's likely the 12 year old was perceived to be more of a threat because he was black than if he were white. Is it that hard to understand?
Are you saying he shouldn't have been perceived as a threat? Because statistically, the cop would be right to feel that way ( and before you say it, he was 5'7” 195lbs. He was not obviously a child).
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

So you think 13% of the population is arrested for >50% of the violent crime because of subconscious biases? I think the fact that Tamir's dad is AWOL explains part of why Tamir is dead.
CWHOKIECPA

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote: Great anecdote and one that clearly misses the point. Who said the officer is a bigot? I didn't and I don't necessarily think he is... I just think that it's likely the 12 year old was perceived to be more of a threat because he was black than if he were white. Is it that hard to understand?
Are you saying he shouldn't have been perceived as a threat? Because statistically, the cop would be right to feel that way ( and before you say it, he was 5'7” 195lbs. He was not obviously a child).
The stats show that on the whole, blacks commit more violent crime. To be more cautious or skeptical of them makes sense. Everyone on earth does this. The police see what is out there everyday. They have way more of a feel for it than we do. I admit I would be less skeptical of an Asian person as far as violent crime goes. Even less than a white person, because as a whole they just don't seem to commit a lot of violent crime.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote: It is HIGHLY unlikely this would have happened to a white kid but keep applying your statistics if it makes you feel better.
Let's leave the racist conjecture out of this, shall we? :roll:
No. THat is part of the story. I posit that a white kid in the same situation would have been afforded more latitude. You can disagree if you want to but that doesn't mean it is not a valid part of the discussion.

I posit that blacks commit crimes at higher per capita rates than whites, thus more altercations WILL occur. Is racism a motivator? In some cases yes. In most cases, no. The real question that isn't being addressed by window dressing issues like BLM, is WHY per capita crime rates are higher in the black population.

That question, and it's answers aren't so comfortably summed up with buzzwords like 'racism'.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
The stats show that on the whole, blacks commit more violent crime. To be more cautious or skeptical of them makes sense. Everyone on earth does this. The police see what is out there everyday. They have way more of a feel for it than we do. I admit I would be less skeptical of an Asian person as far as violent crime goes. Even less than a white person, because as a whole they just don't seem to commit a lot of violent crime.
I feel like BG and Flo are arguing for policing in the US to be like a TSA checkpoint...where your 3yo niece gets the same pat down as Yoosef the Saudi national with baggy clothes. Nobody can be profiled, therefor everyone must be profiled. All responses must be the same...if a black kid with a gun gets shot, 66yo grandma needs to take a bullet too.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:I never said it was... I said he would be alive if he were white.
It's what I've said too. However, the resident white defenders in this forum can't bring themselves to be the LEAST bit empathetic with a dead 12 year old. THey can even admit the 12 year old was wrongly judged as a threat because of his skin color but...well that's the fault of demographics.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:So you think 13% of the population is arrested for >50% of the violent crime because of subconscious biases? I think the fact that Tamir's dad is AWOL explains part of why Tamir is dead.
That is a **** shitty thing to say.

Jesus. You guys complain about me in this forum but you and AG just spout some God awful excrement. Do you ever think about what you are saying.

You used to not be so aligned with the AG's on this board. You asked what happened to me. What the **** happened to you?

A 12 year old is dead not because a cop over-reacted but because he had the audacity to grow up without a dad.

What the flying **** man?