Will the dream of owning a flying car be acheived...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Will the dream of owning a flying car be acheived...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Will the dream of owning a flying car be acheived...

Post by nolanvt »

I sure as hell hope not. Let's master driving on the ground first.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:I sure as hell hope not. Let's master driving on the ground first.
Actually, if you read the article, you do not drive this thing. It drives itself. You just put in your smart phone where you want to go and it takes you there. As long as its coordinating with other drones via GPS, seems like this could work quite well and be even safer than driving on the ground.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:...in our life times?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -taxi.html
Consider that the new ATC system has been a work-in-progress for years and still has a ways to go. And that's based on technology that we already understand.

The FAA would have to create an enormous amount of "rules of the road" to ensure safety.

I could see these being allowed in our lifetimes for flight on private property and not going above a certain altitude (2-300 feet maybe), but nothing much more than that for awhile until a system could be set up for multi-drone transportation.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

VisorBoy wrote:

Consider that the new ATC system has been a work-in-progress for years and still has a ways to go. And that's based on technology that we already understand.

The FAA would have to create an enormous amount of "rules of the road" to ensure safety.

I could see these being allowed in our lifetimes for flight on private property and not going above a certain altitude (2-300 feet maybe), but nothing much more than that for awhile until a system could be set up for multi-drone transportation.
Yep. And autonomous cars, which are happening soon, will solve most of our existing problems with local travel (congestion, accidents, etc.) at a fraction of the cost to maintain and fuel a vehicle that flies. Also, less falling and dying when a failure does occur...

This drone will be a cool/expensive toy, rather than a replacement for local travel.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

ieatbacon wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Yep. And autonomous cars, which are happening soon, will solve most of our existing problems with local travel (congestion, accidents, etc.) at a fraction of the cost to maintain and fuel a vehicle that flies. Also, less falling and dying when a failure does occur...

This drone will be a cool/expensive toy, rather than a replacement for local travel.
Good point. Although I'm sure people will miss sitting in DC traffic for 8% of their entire year.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

VisorBoy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:

Good point. Although I'm sure people will miss sitting in DC traffic for 8% of their entire year.
That's why the Oculus Rift will be big. They just need to add a carbon monoxide producing accessory to make the experience feel real.