OK Everyone...Let's put a number on it...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
CFB Apologist

OK Everyone...Let's put a number on it...

Post by CFB Apologist »

We are all smart... let's put a number on it. I watched the despicable Congressman from Washington last night on CNN crying that minimum wage is not a "living wage" and can not support a family of 4... the host of the State-Run Media program did not have the guts to ask him what WAS a "living wage" that supports a family of 4... so we are going to answer it for him...

Let's go... Family of 4 in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa... What is a living wage for someone with no skilled trade- a minimum wage worker if you will. HS education or GED, little professional experience, not a skilled laborer like a plumber, electrician, etc. What's the number we have to pay him to support his family??? $45,000.00 year? 50? 30? 80?

Put a number on it, please...
Hokie5150

Re: OK Everyone...Let's put a number on it...

Post by Hokie5150 »

CFB Apologist wrote:We are all smart... let's put a number on it. I watched the despicable Congressman from Washington last night on CNN crying that minimum wage is not a "living wage" and can not support a family of 4... the host of the State-Run Media program did not have the guts to ask him what WAS a "living wage" that supports a family of 4... so we are going to answer it for him...

Let's go... Family of 4 in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa... What is a living wage for someone with no skilled trade- a minimum wage worker if you will. HS education or GED, little professional experience, not a skilled laborer like a plumber, electrician, etc. What's the number we have to pay him to support his family??? $45,000.00 year? 50? 30? 80?

I'd still like to know why anyone would try to support a family of 4 on minimum wage. Seems to me someone got things a bit out of sequence...
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Hokie5150 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:We are all smart... let's put a number on it. I watched the despicable Congressman from Washington last night on CNN crying that minimum wage is not a "living wage" and can not support a family of 4... the host of the State-Run Media program did not have the guts to ask him what WAS a "living wage" that supports a family of 4... so we are going to answer it for him...

I'd still like to know why anyone would try to support a family of 4 on minimum wage. Seems to me someone got things a bit out of sequence...

The Dems tell me its only fair for minimum wage workers to be able to support their families, too... fairness
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

If I were in the real estate business, I'd love a drastic minimum wage increase. :lol:
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yea, the American public is so effing stupid!!! raise the minimum wage to $15 you morons, all the stuff you buy goes up also to compensate..... you are right where you started and those not on min. wage that don't even get raises anymore fall further behind....... awesome effing plan

HokieDan95

Post by HokieDan95 »

like 5150 above let's talk about educating people on why it's dumb to try to raise a family of 4 on the minimum wage rather than making other people pay for bad decisions
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

That's why a federal minimum wage is beyond stupid. Small town in Oklahoma and Manhattan under the same federal wage minimum? Beyond silly and a waste of legislation. That should be a state or lower government initiative (I know some states already do have their own minimum wage).

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Trick question. There is no such thing as a "living wage"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:Trick question. There is no such thing as a "living wage"
Winner! It's a "throw out an amount great enough to create class warfare wage". It's out there just to make the people with common sense who say "no" look greedy and enrage those who do think they can raise a family of 12 on minimum wage. "Sheet, I be po because you wont pay me 200k a year to pay for all these keeeds".
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

HokieDan95 wrote:like 5150 above let's talk about educating people on why it's dumb to try to raise a family of 4 on the minimum wage rather than making other people pay for bad decisions
You mean the kids? Republicans care about ALL life.... Until the child is actually born
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

nc87 wrote:
HokieDan95 wrote:like 5150 above let's talk about educating people on why it's dumb to try to raise a family of 4 on the minimum wage rather than making other people pay for bad decisions
You mean the kids? Republicans care about ALL life.... Until the child is actually born
I'm confused. Please elaborate.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage". Republicans tend to forget that the kids, the ones most affected by poverty, did not have any choice in being born to irresponsible parents. Should we as a society say eff em, or help them live? If we're saying "eff em", republicans need to get on board with the pro-choice movement, it's a lot more humane to kill an unborn fetus than starve a living child to death
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Wow.

Really.

nc87 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage". Republicans tend to forget that the kids, the ones most affected by poverty, did not have any choice in being born to irresponsible parents. Should we as a society say eff em, or help them live? If we're saying "eff em", republicans need to get on board with the pro-choice movement, it's a lot more humane to kill an unborn fetus than starve a living child to death
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nc87 wrote:The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage". Republicans tend to forget that the kids, the ones most affected by poverty, did not have any choice in being born to irresponsible parents. Should we as a society say eff em, or help them live? If we're saying "eff em", republicans need to get on board with the pro-choice movement, it's a lot more humane to kill an unborn fetus than starve a living child to death
As usual, you assume that opposition to democrat policies = hating poor people.

Surely, there exists, in the realm of possibilities, at least one way to prevent kids from starving that doesn't involve paying $15/hour to every high school kid flipping burgers.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nc87

Post by nc87 »

oaktonhokie wrote:Wow.

Really.
Yes. Really.

Look at every right wingers post in this thread bashing the parents and their poor decisions. Not one mention of the children who are most affected by and had no choice being born into poverty. Sad
nc87

Post by nc87 »

BigDave wrote:
nc87 wrote:The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage". Republicans tend to forget that the kids, the ones most affected by poverty, did not have any choice in being born to irresponsible parents. Should we as a society say eff em, or help them live? If we're saying "eff em", republicans need to get on board with the pro-choice movement, it's a lot more humane to kill an unborn fetus than starve a living child to death

Surely, there exists, in the realm of possibilities, at least one way to prevent kids from starving that doesn't involve paying $15/hour to every high school kid flipping burgers.
Yeah, food stamps... your party just cut those benefits, too. You don't give a damn about the children affected by poverty, you just want to bash the parents poor decisions and place the burden of those poor decisions on their children. Unbelievable

ETA: I know you're discussing the $15/hr because of the city in Washington that passed that, but if I'm not mistaken that is nearly double the minimum wage. I support increasing the minimum wage- not doubling it.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

nc87 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Do you think that raising the minimum wage to a 'livable wage' would be a net benefit to said families? I think you're discounting the impact it would have on employers to reduce costs (i.e. less jobs and hours for workers considered to be fungible commodities).
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage"

Any insight as to why this is the case? Besides redneck whites keeping them down? any opinion on WHY some out there can't earn a wage to support their families?
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Did you personally decide the relative humanity of death by abortion vs death by forced starvation?

And um, how many kids have starved to death in the US recently? Any at all?

And what if the guy working has more than a family of four to support? What if he has eight kids, by seven women. That he knows of. Shouldn't all those kids and their moms get their food, housing and clothing paid for by mcdonalds? That's mcdonalds' responsibility, right?

And what if the kid is 18, no family to support other than himself and he lives with his parents? Pay him a living wage for a family of four?

Oh, forgot.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Does the value of the job matter, or only the needs of the worker?

Geeesch.

Can you quantify the degree of humanity for death by abortion vs death by forced starvation? What formula did you use? Did you develop theory by yourself?

nc87 wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Wow.

Really.
Yes. Really.

Look at every right wingers post in this thread bashing the parents and their poor decisions. Not one mention of the children who are most affected by and had no choice being born into poverty. Sad
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nc87 wrote:Yeah, food stamps... your party just cut those benefits, too. You don't give a damn about the children affected by poverty, you just want to bash the parents poor decisions and place the burden of those poor decisions on their children. Unbelievable

ETA: I know you're discussing the $15/hr because of the city in Washington that passed that, but if I'm not mistaken that is nearly double the minimum wage. I support increasing the minimum wage- not doubling it.
Even if you were correct in your claim that the only two possible ways for poor children to be fed were food stamps and raising the minimum wage ...

It is not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT's job to do either.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

nc87 wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Yeah, food stamps... your party just cut those benefits, too. You don't give a damn about the children affected by poverty, you just want to bash the parents poor decisions and place the burden of those poor decisions on their children. Unbelievable

Maybe if their 'rents spent a little more on food and less on beer, meth and cigarettes the kids wouldn't suffer so much?
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

nc87 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
That's why welfare for these parents should be attached to a requirement for sterilizations (either chemical or surgical) so that these parents cannot subject any more kids to such suffering.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Do you think that raising the minimum wage to a 'livable wage' would be a net benefit to said families? I think you're discounting the impact it would have on employers to reduce costs (i.e. less jobs and hours for workers considered to be fungible commodities).

You know you are talking to Beached, right?

Successful- Bad
White- Bad
Profit- Bad
Welfare State- good
Communism- good

that is the depth of conversation you can go with Beached...and not one iota more..
nc87

Post by nc87 »

CFB Apologist wrote:The kids are the ones who are hurt the most by their parents not being able to earn a "living wage"

Any insight as to why this is the case? Besides redneck whites keeping them down? any opinion on WHY some out there can't earn a wage to support their families?

Because income inequality is worse in this country than it is in Pakistan
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Hokie5150 wrote:
nc87 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
nc87 wrote:
That's why welfare for these parents should be attached to a requirement for sterilizations (either chemical or surgical) so that these parents cannot subject any more kids to such suffering.

Nah, just have the greedy rich whites who are "falling behind" in Obama's america pay for everything.... problem solved...