Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
miles

#Oscars So White

Post by miles »

:D Hollywood Buffet of Sour Grapes.
Anyone following this whining fit?
First of all Concussion could have been better. And Will Smith could have developed a genuine accent, but he did not. He and the movie were mediocre.
Haven't seen Straight Out of Compton, and not motivated to do so. My bias is Spike Lee. See one or two of his movies, you've seen them all. His freshness date expired twenty years ago. Critics panned it.
For the love of pete, I hope Chris Rock catches the fever and backs out as emcee. Damn, he's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Not that I plan to watch anyway; haven't watched Oscars, Emmys, Gimmies, Espys, Tonys, Gold Balls, or any of that crap in years. Really, who gives a crap?
Much ado about nuttin at all.
Spike wants a quota.... :)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: #Oscars So White

Post by awesome guy »

miles wrote::D Hollywood Buffet of Sour Grapes.
First of all Concussion could have been better. And Will Smith could have developed a genuine accent, but he did not. He and the movie were mediocre.
Haven't seen Straight Out of Compton, and not motivated to do so. My bias is Spike Lee. See one or two of his movies, you've seen them all. His freshness date expired twenty years ago. Critics panned it.
For the love of pete, I hope Chris Rock catches the fever and backs out as emcee. Damn, he's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Not that I plan to watch anyway; haven't watched Oscars, Emmys, Gimmies, Espys, Tonys, Gold Balls, or any of that crap in years. Really, who gives a crap?
I like this solution. My favorite is "Bring Homie Home" with the Martin.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

First off, I'm not sure why you think Straight Outta Compton is a Spike Lee movie, it's not. Second, the bolded statement doesn't seem to be remotely true.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/straight_outta_compton/
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

awesome guy wrote:Image

Sam Smith won Best New Artist...
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Someone upset that the Oscars are too white?
Good!

I guess that means same person won't be voting for anyone on the D ticket.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

absolutvt03 wrote:

you're right, it's a great example of diversity

http://www.bet.com/shows/bet-awards/nominees.html
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

Just pointing out that your dumb meme was factually incorrect.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

absolutvt03 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

maybe you should try out that reading comprehension thing. Have this year's BET awards occurred yet? This "dumb" meme points out the obvious double standard in these dumb black actors bitching about only whites getting Oscar nominations this year while having an entire TV channel and awards ceremony dedicated towards black people. If they want to end racism, BET would be an obvious place to start.
miles

Post by miles »

absolutvt03 wrote:
First off, I'm not sure why you think Straight Outta Compton is a Spike Lee movie, it's not. Second, the bolded statement doesn't seem to be remotely true.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/straight_outta_compton/
Ah, my bad. I was wrong on that count. Apologies to Spike Lee.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

in a related note, Will Smith is about to be Nolan's favorite actor.
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

maybe you should try out that reading comprehension thing. Have this year's BET awards occurred yet? This "dumb" meme points out the obvious double standard in these dumb black actors bitching about only whites getting Oscar nominations this year while having an entire TV channel and awards ceremony dedicated towards black people. If they want to end racism, BET would be an obvious place to start.

Have this year's BET award nominees occurred yet? No? Ok then so I was using the most recent data we had. Also your picture is from the 2015 awards. No matter how you slice it or spin it, your picture and meme was stupid and misleading. And do you think anyone puts a BET award on par with an Oscar? No one cares about the BET awards (just like no one cares about the ESPYs or the MTV Movie Awards or the Teen Choice Awards).
miles

Post by miles »

absolutvt03 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

Have this year's BET award nominees occurred yet? No? Ok then so I was using the most recent data we had. Also your picture is from the 2015 awards. No matter how you slice it or spin it, your picture and meme was stupid and misleading. And do you think anyone puts a BET award on par with an Oscar? No one cares about the BET awards (just like no one cares about the ESPYs or the MTV Movie Awards or the Teen Choice Awards).
Don't go breaking Caitlin's heart. That was just mean. Are you homotransgenderphobic? What a bigot!
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:in a related note, Will Smith is about to be Nolan's favorite actor.
I'll bite. Why?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
absolutvt03

Post by absolutvt03 »

miles wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:

Don't go breaking Caitlin's heart. That was just mean. Are you homotransgenderphobic? What a bigot!
Let me know when you have something meaningful to contribute to... well any topic.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:in a related note, Will Smith is about to be Nolan's favorite actor.
I'll bite. Why?
Good one! [emoji38]

We know you're chomping at the bit to speak on it.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

FTR I thought Idris Elba deserved a nomination for Beast of No Nation.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BET is hating on Stacey Dash for speaking truth to power

http://www.ijreview.com/2016/01/520092- ... ite-oscars
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
I'll bite. Why?
Good one! [emoji38]

We know you're chomping at the bit to speak on it.
Why would that be?
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

So, the chick calling for boycott from her home did so in front of rhino horns? Seriously!?!?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Yawn. Sour grapes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

I for one am tired of whiney ass blacks blaming their failures on whites and racism. Especially people like Will Smith that have made crap movies over the last couple years.

RWNJ
Party: Independent

The Demand for Villains

Post by RWNJ »

JANUARY 26, 2016
1/26/2016 12:01:00 AM - Thomas Sowell
The latest tempest in a teapot controversy is over a lack of black nominees for this year's Academy Awards in Hollywood.
The assumption seems to be that different groups would be proportionally represented if somebody were not doing somebody else wrong. That assumption carries great weight in far more important things than Academy Awards and in places more important than Hollywood, including the Supreme Court of the United States.
In an earlier era, the groupthink assumption was that groups that did not succeed as often, or as well, were genetically inferior. But is our current groupthink assumption based on any more hard evidence?
Having spent decades researching racial and ethnic groups around the world, I have never yet found a country in which all groups -- or even most groups -- are even roughly equally represented in most endeavors.
Nor have I been the only one with that experience. The great French historian Fernand Braudel said, "In no society have all regions and all parts of the population developed equally." A study of military forces around the world failed to find a single one in which in which the ethnic makeup of the military was the same as that of the society.
My own favorite example of unrepresentativeness, however, is right at home. Having watched National Football League games for more than 50 years, I have seen hundreds of black players score touchdowns, but I have never seen one black player kick the extra point.
What are we to conclude from this? Do those who believe in genetics think that blacks are just genetically incapable of kicking a football?
Since there have long been black colleges with football teams, have they had to import white players to do the opening kickoff, so that the games could get underway? Or to kick the extra point after touchdowns? Apparently not.
How about racist discrimination? Are racists so inconsistent that they are somehow able to stifle their racism when it comes to letting black players score touchdowns, but absolutely draw the line when it comes to letting blacks kick the extra point?
With all the heated and bitter debates between those who believe in heredity and those who believe in environment as explanations of group differences in outcomes, both seem to ignore the possibility that some groups just do not want to do the same things as other groups.
I doubt whether any of the guys who grew up in my old neighborhood in Harlem ever went on to become ballet dancers. Nor is it likely that this had anything to do with either genetics or racism. The very thought of becoming a ballet dancer never crossed my mind and it probably never occurred to the other guys either.
If people don't want to do something, chances are they are not going to do it, even if they have all the innate potential in the world, and even if all the doors of opportunity are wide open.
People come from different cultures. They know different things and want different things.
When I arrived in Harlem from the South as a kid, I had no idea what a public library was. An older boy who tried to explain it to me barely succeeded in getting me to get a library card and borrow a couple of books. But it changed the course of my life. Not every kid from a similar background had someone to change the course of his life.
When Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe arrived in New York in the 19th century, they were even poorer than blacks from the South who arrived in Harlem in the 20th century. But the Jews crowded into public libraries because books had been part of their culture for centuries. New York's elite public high schools and outstanding free colleges were practically tailor-made for them.
Groups differ from other groups all over the world, for all sorts of reasons, ranging from geography to demography, history and culture. There is not much we can do about geography and nothing we can do about the past. But we can stop looking for villains every time we see differences.
That is not likely to happen, however, when grievances can be cashed in for goodies -- and polarize a whole society in the process.
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump