Bloomberg planning an Independent run for President?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Bloomberg planning an Independent run for President?

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Translation: the current generation is collectively a group of assholes that are too selfish to raise the children they're producing.
We're in a Catch-22 here according to the two links I'm going to go over below.

It seems that millennials are producing more children out of wedlock with the real dividing line being the education level:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... _what.html

However, one strong theory for why more births are produced out of wedlock is that shotgun marriages have reduced greatly:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/paper ... es-akerlof

So, if we go back to the societal norms of the 70s, the out-of-wedlock birth rate will be reduced via shotgun weddings, but we'll end up back in the same place with divorce rates (and ultimately, single parenting of children) as the study within the Slate article alluded to. To-ma-to, to-mah-to.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Translation: the current generation is collectively a group of assholes that are too selfish to raise the children they're producing.

It seems that millennials are producing more children out of wedlock with the real dividing line being the education level:

However, one strong theory for why more births are produced out of wedlock is that shotgun marriages have reduced greatly:

So, if we go back to the societal norms of the 70s, the out-of-wedlock birth rate will be reduced via shotgun weddings, but we'll end up back in the same place with divorce rates (and ultimately, single parenting of children) as the study within the Slate article alluded to. To-ma-to, to-mah-to.
Not really. 70s aren't the target culture. And divorce is a power law distribution. Millennials are shrugging responsibility along a bell curve distribution. But hey, if you want to say you're as crappy as another crappy generation then knock yourself out. Without realizing it, you're close to discovering the start of the cultural collapse.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Not really. 70s aren't the target culture. And divorce is a power law distribution. Millennials are shrugging responsibility along a bell curve distribution. But hey, if you want to say you're as crappy as another crappy generation then knock yourself out. Without realizing it, you're close to discovering the start of the cultural collapse.
#CulturalCollapse, I like it.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I laugh when libs mistake a guy like me for a "grumpy old man" and miss the point. It is easy to be dismissive with what they think a clever put-down, stereotyping along the way... Are there people dissatisfied with the way things are? Damn straight there are. Does that make them grumpy old men? Of course not. Studies have shown conservatives to be happier, by & large, than libs.

Technology marching on does not mean that the dem policies haven't been meetiing goal- that is, the creation of a dependent uneducated underclass. Technology can march on independently of general ed levels and mores.

Congrats, libs. You are mucking stuff up so to create a great society of people to care for, perpetuating a governing class. Efin idiots.

Yes, mores and education in decline. Well done citizen.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

#CulturalCollapse, I like it.
Great hot take!

[emoji38]
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

RiverguyVT wrote:I laugh when libs mistake a guy like me for a "grumpy old man" and miss the point. It is easy to be dismissive with what they think a clever put-down, stereotyping along the way... Are there people dissatisfied with the way things are? Damn straight there are. Does that make them grumpy old men? Of course not. Studies have shown conservatives to be happier, by & large, than libs.

Technology marching on does not mean that the dem policies haven't been meetiing goal- that is, the creation of a dependent uneducated underclass. Technology can march on independently of general ed levels and mores.

Congrats, libs. You are mucking stuff up so to create a great society of people to care for, perpetuating a governing class. Efin idiots.

Yes, mores and education in decline. Well done citizen.
This conservative didn't call you old. I said you sound like the old geezers during my family reunions who talk about how the world's gone all to hell and how kids today are going to be the ruin of us all. This, despite the fact that the world progresses on virtually all fronts each generation.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

BigDave wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:What's really funny is that after Dubya was reelected, I remember a lot of folks wondering whether the Democrat Party would ever be relevant again. After all, Going back to 1968, a Democrat had been elected president three times (1976, 1992 and 1996) and the country had decided that Dubya was their guy -- AGAIN. The lesson is, Politics, like everything else, is cyclical. There's going to be a stretch again when the Republicans win three or four elections in a row and you'll be wondering what in the world happened.
And remember that in 1992 and 1996, the democrat got elected by acting like he was a Republican.

We're "new" democrats - we're going to end welfare as we know it, etc.

Heck, I remember when Norman Sisisky ran campaign ads calling himself an "independent conservative".

It's a relatively new phenomenon that democrats can be honest about their liberalism and still win a general election.

A good part of that is the self-absorbed generation of idiots we have now. You give them a "feel good" policy that is completely impractical and they will vote for it. Millennials have no memory of communism being the enemy and so they're happy to vote for communist policies.

Yep, yep, yep! When called on it, they have some trite response about 'Cold War dinosaurs', blah, blah. It's utterly meaningless, but it serves their superficial need of appearing to know WTF they're talking about.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:I love how they characterize him as a "moderate"

Because "moderates" definitely ban sodas.
You guys are so far right, I understand it's hard for you to tell what the mainstream thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pot ... kettle

Would even the most far out there of leftists have even dreamed of banning sodas 20 years ago?

The left has moved far to the left. The right is where it always has been for the most part.
While I oppose the policy/law, he technically didn't ban soda. He banned selling it in certain sizes. It was silly to even attempt because people who drink soda were likely going to buy more volume to make up for the lack of size. It would be like Fairfax County telling beer companies that bottle sizes will be reduced to 6-8 oz. Okay, I'm simply going to buy more volume of beer when I do then.
Buy more disposable containers = filling up the landfill quicker. But hey, disposable cup manufacturers got paid!
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson