Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Re: Why Uber is Great

Post by TheH2 »

BigDave wrote:
TheH2 wrote:My uber ride was $14.00.
Did you tip your driver?
I tip when I have cash so I've tipped an uber driver 3 times.
BigDave wrote:Do you not tip your waitress, either? Or your pizza delivery driver?

Uber drivers are barely breaking even on what they get paid ... and in many cases are actually going to deduct more than their entire Uber pay when they file taxes.

The one and only time I took an Uber ride, it was $11.99, $1.90 of which was the "safe ride fee" and goes completely to Uber to pay for Uber's insurance. So of the $10.09, the driver gets 80%, or $8.07.

That was for 7.32 miles and took 13:49. But it took her about 10 minutes to drive about 5 miles to pick me up and then she had to drive another 7 miles home afterwards, which would have taken 15 minutes (unless she was lucky enough to happen to get someone by my destination who needed a ride). So that's about 19 miles. The IRS says that she should be reimbursed $11 for just the mileage alone. In other words, gas and wear+tear on her car cost her more than the $8.07 that Uber paid her.

So when she does her taxes, she has $8.07 of business income and $11 of business deductions (a net loss of $3) for that trip.

Yes, you should tip your Uber driver.
Drivers make money when it surges. You can do well as a driver if you time it right, and it is pretty obvious what those times are. The entire service is built around the idea that you don't have to tip. If drivers weren't making money they wouldn't drive, right? No uber drivers, prices surge, then there is a break-even price.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:When I fly, my car is waiting for me in the parking lot. 0 delays.
I've never driven to Reagan. The only times I drive to the airport are Dulles - only international, or BWI - but I don't really go to that airport anymore. If I take a cab (or uber) I can leave my house an hour before my flight is scheduled to take off and be there in time to grab a bite to eat. It probably costs more to drive too. More time (time is valuable), more money (I'm a fiscal conservative), it clearly makes no sense to drive.
There's no way it's more expensive to drive. It's way more convenient too as I pull in and take off. Plus I can expense all costs, plus marriage. Your scenario is for couples with one car.
Ugh. Now I had to do "research" because I don't really know how much it costs to park at Reagan. Rates are $14 per day long term parking (or $28 for 29 hours - 48 hours), which is far less convenient (not much of a debate here, but I digress) and up to $36 (most convenient yet still not dropped off at the terminal). My uber ride was $14.00. So, if it is overnight it is a wash, if it is two nights it is cheaper for me to take uber. If it is anything more than two nights it is cheaper.
http://airportparkingguides.com/reagan- ... ing-guide/

Fare breakdown: (actually $14.09)
Base: 1.15
Distance: 4.59
Time: 3.00
DCA surcharge: 4.00
Safe Ride Fee: 1.35

Once again AG, I'm sure you are right. But I'm really curious how it is cheaper for me to drive. My wife and I have never driven to DCA (except to pick up friends), so it isn't a car issue.
I expenses it, zero cost to me. Enjoy your date with a random person on the internet.
You should get out more and take a trip that your company isn't paying for. Seriously, it's a lot of fun. Your wife would probably appreciate it too. I don't really care how you get to the airport. I'm sure you are capable of determining which is the best option for you.
I do. And when I do, I park my truck for $10 a day, which would be less than a uber or cab round trip to my house. But I drive most of the time. Did it across the country 3 times.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

TheH2 wrote:Drivers make money when it surges. You can do well as a driver if you time it right, and it is pretty obvious what those times are. The entire service is built around the idea that you don't have to tip. If drivers weren't making money they wouldn't drive, right? No uber drivers, prices surge, then there is a break-even price.
Outstanding! I assume you now agree with Libertarians on the minimum wage. Using the identical logic, we should eliminate the minimum wage.

If burger flippers weren't making money, they wouldn't flip burgers, right? No burger flippers, and the free market will raise wages.

Of course the huge difference between tipping and the minimum wage is that it's easy to spend someone else's money and say that the government should tax rich people to spend on social programs or that evil big businesses should pay people more. It's a little harder when it's your own money.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

BigDave wrote:
TheH2 wrote:Drivers make money when it surges. You can do well as a driver if you time it right, and it is pretty obvious what those times are. The entire service is built around the idea that you don't have to tip. If drivers weren't making money they wouldn't drive, right? No uber drivers, prices surge, then there is a break-even price.
Outstanding! I assume you now agree with Libertarians on the minimum wage. Using the identical logic, we should eliminate the minimum wage.

If burger flippers weren't making money, they wouldn't flip burgers, right? No burger flippers, and the free market will raise wages.

Of course the huge difference between tipping and the minimum wage is that it's easy to spend someone else's money and say that the government should tax rich people to spend on social programs or that evil big businesses should pay people more. It's a little harder when it's your own money.
Different markets, uber is an auction market so it is completely different, in economic theory and practice. I'm not a big fan of the minimum wage actually. However, it doesn't hurt employment right now and a slight raise also would not hurt employment - broadly speaking and in the U.S. $15 across the board is stupid. A good example of why the national minimum wage is an issue is Puerto Rico.
People who know, know.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

I get a livery car arranged and have a driver waiting on trips longer than a week.