Why Uber is Great

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
TheH2

Why Uber is Great

Post by TheH2 »

I flew into DC Wednesday night during the dusting of snow. When I got off of my flight at 10:45 PM, the line for a cab was huge and not moving (almost no cabs coming), there were no rental cars, and yet I was still able to get Uber. It was surging at maybe 3 and the driver was 9 minutes out when he accepted, and I was on my way. Without Uber, I would have been stuck at the airport for hours. Sure, surging can be unfortunate, but it doesn't hurt someone if they can't pay for it, i.e. you're stuck waiting for a cab anyway. Lyft doesn't surge and they didn't have drivers.
People who know, know.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Why Uber is Great

Post by awesome guy »

When I fly, my car is waiting for me in the parking lot. 0 delays.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:When I fly, my car is waiting for me in the parking lot. 0 delays.
You have your own car at different airports...humble brag alert :!: :P :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:When I fly, my car is waiting for me in the parking lot. 0 delays.
You have your own car at different airports...humble brag alert :!: [emoji14] :mrgreen:
I fly in an imperial shuttle, keeping a vehicle in the cargo hold.

DC was his return trip. The wife needed the car while he was gone.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
You have your own car at different airports...humble brag alert :!: [emoji14] :mrgreen:
I fly in an imperial shuttle, keeping a vehicle in the cargo hold.

DC was his return trip. The wife needed the car while he was gone.
I just use my portable transwarp beaming device ... from Star Trek XII (which renders starships obsolete and in a sane world would ensure we don't have to suffer through this putrid reboot of a once-great franchise)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:I flew into DC Wednesday night during the dusting of snow. When I got off of my flight at 10:45 PM, the line for a cab was huge and not moving (almost no cabs coming), there were no rental cars, and yet I was still able to get Uber. It was surging at maybe 3 and the driver was 9 minutes out when he accepted, and I was on my way. Without Uber, I would have been stuck at the airport for hours. Sure, surging can be unfortunate, but it doesn't hurt someone if they can't pay for it, i.e. you're stuck waiting for a cab anyway. Lyft doesn't surge and they didn't have drivers.
Bureaucrats in some locations (LAX is one, I think) have actually banned Uber from the terminal.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:I flew into DC Wednesday night during the dusting of snow. When I got off of my flight at 10:45 PM, the line for a cab was huge and not moving (almost no cabs coming), there were no rental cars, and yet I was still able to get Uber. It was surging at maybe 3 and the driver was 9 minutes out when he accepted, and I was on my way. Without Uber, I would have been stuck at the airport for hours. Sure, surging can be unfortunate, but it doesn't hurt someone if they can't pay for it, i.e. you're stuck waiting for a cab anyway. Lyft doesn't surge and they didn't have drivers.
Bureaucrats in some locations (LAX is one, I think) have actually banned Uber from the terminal.

Actually Uber and Lyft just got approval from the airport to pickup there. A flat fee of $4.00 is added to each trip where you get picked up from the airport.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

I've never driven to Reagan. The only times I drive to the airport are Dulles - only international, or BWI - but I don't really go to that airport anymore. If I take a cab (or uber) I can leave my house an hour before my flight is scheduled to take off and be there in time to grab a bite to eat. It probably costs more to drive too. More time (time is valuable), more money (I'm a fiscal conservative), it clearly makes no sense to drive.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
I've never driven to Reagan. The only times I drive to the airport are Dulles - only international, or BWI - but I don't really go to that airport anymore. If I take a cab (or uber) I can leave my house an hour before my flight is scheduled to take off and be there in time to grab a bite to eat. It probably costs more to drive too. More time (time is valuable), more money (I'm a fiscal conservative), it clearly makes no sense to drive.
There's no way it's more expensive to drive. It's way more convenient too as I pull in and take off. Plus I can expense all costs, plus marriage. Your scenario is for couples with one car.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Actually Uber and Lyft just got approval from the airport to pickup there. A flat fee of $4.00 is added to each trip where you get picked up from the airport.
I wasn't talking about DC - just pointing out that politicians are working to make Uber unprofitable.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
There's no way it's more expensive to drive. It's way more convenient too as I pull in and take off. Plus I can expense all costs, plus marriage. Your scenario is for couples with one car.
Ugh. Now I had to do "research" because I don't really know how much it costs to park at Reagan. Rates are $14 per day long term parking (or $28 for 29 hours - 48 hours), which is far less convenient (not much of a debate here, but I digress) and up to $36 (most convenient yet still not dropped off at the terminal). My uber ride was $14.00. So, if it is overnight it is a wash, if it is two nights it is cheaper for me to take uber. If it is anything more than two nights it is cheaper.
http://airportparkingguides.com/reagan- ... ing-guide/

Fare breakdown: (actually $14.09)
Base: 1.15
Distance: 4.59
Time: 3.00
DCA surcharge: 4.00
Safe Ride Fee: 1.35

Once again AG, I'm sure you are right. But I'm really curious how it is cheaper for me to drive. My wife and I have never driven to DCA (except to pick up friends), so it isn't a car issue.
People who know, know.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

TheH2 wrote:My uber ride was $14.00.
Did you tip your driver?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Ugh. Now I had to do "research" because I don't really know how much it costs to park at Reagan. Rates are $14 per day long term parking (or $28 for 29 hours - 48 hours), which is far less convenient (not much of a debate here, but I digress) and up to $36 (most convenient yet still not dropped off at the terminal). My uber ride was $14.00. So, if it is overnight it is a wash, if it is two nights it is cheaper for me to take uber. If it is anything more than two nights it is cheaper.

Once again AG, I'm sure you are right. But I'm really curious how it is cheaper for me to drive. My wife and I have never driven to DCA (except to pick up friends), so it isn't a car issue.
I expenses it, zero cost to me. Enjoy your date with a random person on the internet.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

BigDave wrote:
Did you tip your driver?
No tipping in Über. I believe you can, but it's not like normal cabs where it's expected.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

Über is awesome. Pull right up to the curb, jump out, no money changing hands. At PHX, you can take Über XL or higher from the terminal (PHX and Über working on an agreement for standard Über), but you can take the Airport tram to the local Light Rail station and call it in from there.

Über XL isn't much (if at all) cheaper than a cab, though the ride is more luxurious.

Love love love Über.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

That's just one way, correct?
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Did you tip your driver?
No tipping in Über. I believe you can, but it's not like normal cabs where it's expected.
Do you not tip your waitress, either? Or your pizza delivery driver?

Uber drivers are barely breaking even on what they get paid ... and in many cases are actually going to deduct more than their entire Uber pay when they file taxes.

The one and only time I took an Uber ride, it was $11.99, $1.90 of which was the "safe ride fee" and goes completely to Uber to pay for Uber's insurance. So of the $10.09, the driver gets 80%, or $8.07.

That was for 7.32 miles and took 13:49. But it took her about 10 minutes to drive about 5 miles to pick me up and then she had to drive another 7 miles home afterwards, which would have taken 15 minutes (unless she was lucky enough to happen to get someone by my destination who needed a ride). So that's about 19 miles. The IRS says that she should be reimbursed $11 for just the mileage alone. In other words, gas and wear+tear on her car cost her more than the $8.07 that Uber paid her.

So when she does her taxes, she has $8.07 of business income and $11 of business deductions (a net loss of $3) for that trip.

Yes, you should tip your Uber driver.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Did you tip your driver?

Uber drivers are barely breaking even on what they get paid ... and in many cases are actually going to deduct more than their entire Uber pay when they file taxes.

The one and only time I took an Uber ride, it was $11.99, $1.90 of which was the "safe ride fee" and goes completely to Uber to pay for Uber's insurance. So of the $10.09, the driver gets 80%, or $8.07.

That was for 7.32 miles and took 13:49. But it took her about 10 minutes to drive about 5 miles to pick me up and then she had to drive another 7 miles home afterwards, which would have taken 15 minutes (unless she was lucky enough to happen to get someone by my destination who needed a ride). So that's about 19 miles. The IRS says that she should be reimbursed $11 for just the mileage alone. In other words, gas and wear+tear on her car cost her more than the $8.07 that Uber paid her.

So when she does her taxes, she has $8.07 of business income and $11 of business deductions (a net loss of $3) for that trip.

I'm not sure how you tip on Uber if you wanted to. Part of the appeal in my opinion is that you don't have to deal with money, or think about how much I am supposed to tip.

FYI - the new thing in NYC is uberpool, where you may have to split the ride with a stranger and you get at least 25% off the uberx rate.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Did you tip your driver?

I'm not sure how you tip on Uber if you wanted to. Part of the appeal in my opinion is that you don't have to deal with money, or think about how much I am supposed to tip.

FYI - the new thing in NYC is uberpool, where you may have to split the ride with a stranger and you get at least 25% off the uberx rate.
Cash. You can't tip in the app.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Did you tip your driver?

Cash. You can't tip in the app.
No thanks. That defeats the point of uber for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Why do democrats hate poor people?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:Why do democrats hate poor people?
I'm a registered Republican (seriously). Switched parties to vote against Trump (and Hillary if you guys don't go full RWNJ).

If I don't vote GOP, I'll probably vote for Virgil again.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

That's just one way, correct?
Yeah, so about $28 round trip. So, after a one day trip that I'm away more than 29 hours it is break-even from a cost standpoint (if I choose the cheapest option). Cab/Uber is also much faster. If I'm gone for 2 days and 5 hours it's cheaper.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I expenses it, zero cost to me. Enjoy your date with a random person on the internet.
You should get out more and take a trip that your company isn't paying for. Seriously, it's a lot of fun. Your wife would probably appreciate it too. I don't really care how you get to the airport. I'm sure you are capable of determining which is the best option for you.
People who know, know.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Uber's great and every state/city should embrace it - enhanced convenience for those who would otherwise take a taxi, increased employment, fewer DUIs, better business for bars/restaurants, etc.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead