The Trouble With the Mercan Family...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: The Trouble With the Mercan Family...

Post by VoiceOfReason »

133743Hokie wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:No worries. I don't read long posts either. This one is only for the thinkers, not the read-react-bomb throwers...

I hear many politicians say that if the federal government budget was handled like a family budget... there would be a simple solution - just stop spending. Yeah... if you over simplify things. Add a little matching complexity to the analogy and see if the answer is the same simple sound bite.
Big Pube got a second job last year and forced Demi and the rest of the family to spend no more than they did the previous year. So it's time for Demi and the gang to make some serious cuts starting now (not eased in over the next 10 years) and to actually follow thru with them to show that they are just as serious as BP was about getting the second job. If they commit to reducing their spending and prove over a short time that they can actually do it then Big Pube might look for a better second job to help close the gap. But until his family shows they can control their spending habit then its status quo.
Haha... thanks for reading and your continuation of the analogy. I like it mostly. But if you are referring to the extension of the Bush Tax Cuts for 98% of Americans as Big Pube's second job (with a slight tax increase on only the richest 2%), I would say the better analogy is this...

"After much protest, Big Pube did agree to work one 2-hour shift a year at the local winery tasting high end zinfidels. He gets paid $50 for his troubles, but made it very clear to Demi that this would be the ONLY concession he would ever make on the issue."

I do like your analogy for the sequester and your assertion that the ball is in the Demi's court (at least in BP's way of thinking). I would love it if the real BP's would come to the table and work the Demi's in the manner you suggest... but my take is that Big Pube is waving the $50 bill in the air saying his sacrifice is complete and he is ready to cut any of Demi's expenses without further sacrifice on his part.