pretty good article (Left inability to understand muslims)

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

pretty good article (Left inability to understand muslims)

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VisorBoy

Re: pretty good article (Left inability to understand muslim

Post by VisorBoy »

That article is a bit nuts.

This is why links on this board get questioned (and rightly so). Front Page Magazine is a fringe website, and this article by this journalist who clearly has a beef with Islam has many of the red flags of ignorant and/or lazy journalism:
- Using the purposely ambiguous "Left, leftists, etc" to characterize a complex and diverse population of Americans. I counted 29 examples.
- Interpretation of the Qu'ran by a non-Muslim, without any links, quotes or interviews with actual experts on the faith.
- Distilling the views of the other side down to a false choice: "[The left believes] Religion is either on the side of social justice or it isn’t. Since Muslims are part of their glorious intersectional rainbow coalition, then Islam must be a good religion.

It’s that stupidly simple. And no amount of Koran quotes will change that." The irony here is that this journalist, himself, is perhaps unconsciously distilling his own faction's beliefs down to a simple false choice: Either you're on the left and you believe all this garbage, or you're not.

Promoting writers and sources like this is a disservice to good journalism and instructional opinions.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

VisorBoy wrote:That article is a bit nuts.

This is why links on this board get questioned (and rightly so). Front Page Magazine is a fringe website, and this article by this journalist who clearly has a beef with Islam has many of the red flags of ignorant and/or lazy journalism:
- Using the purposely ambiguous "Left, leftists, etc" to characterize a complex and diverse population of Americans. I counted 29 examples.
- Interpretation of the Qu'ran by a non-Muslim, without any links, quotes or interviews with actual experts on the faith.
- Distilling the views of the other side down to a false choice: "[The left believes] Religion is either on the side of social justice or it isn’t. Since Muslims are part of their glorious intersectional rainbow coalition, then Islam must be a good religion.

It’s that stupidly simple. And no amount of Koran quotes will change that." The irony here is that this journalist, himself, is perhaps unconsciously distilling his own faction's beliefs down to a simple false choice: Either you're on the left and you believe all this garbage, or you're not.

Promoting writers and sources like this is a disservice to good journalism and instructional opinions.
Why are you so anti-Semitic :?: ;)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The article is dead on
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

VisorBoy wrote:
That article is a bit nuts.

Meh, most of criticism is pointed at post-modernist dogma, which is the contemporary left's natural home.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson