Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
PolyTech

Feel good story of the day

Post by PolyTech »

Melissa Click is fired.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/25/media/m ... index.html

Melissa Click, the University of Missouri professor who was filmed trying to intimidate journalists during a campus protest, has been fired.

At an executive session Wednesday, the school's Board of Curators voted 4-2 to terminate Click's employment. Click has the right to appeal the decision.

"The board believes that Dr. Click's conduct was not compatible with university policies and did not meet expectations for a university faculty member," board spokeswoman Pam Henrickson said in a statement on Thursday.

Courtney Fitzpatrick, a spokesperson for Click, said, "She is not taking interviews and has no comment at this time."

Last fall, as the Mizzou campus was gripped with protests over charges of racism at the school, Click, an assistant professor of communications, was recorded aggressively confronting a video journalist.

"Hey, who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?" Click could be heard saying on the video. "I need some muscle over here."

The footage quickly went viral, and Click faced an onslaught of criticism. Following the outcry, Click resigned from her courtesy appointment at the Missouri's journalism school. Last month, Click was charged with third-degree assault by the city prosecutor in Columbia, Missouri. The charge is punishable by a fine of up to $300 and up to 15 days in jail.

Mark Schierbecker, the University of Missouri student who captured the incident, originally filed the complaint against Click, but he had suggested an extralegal resolution.

In December, Schierbecker told CNNMoney that he would have been willing to "just drop the whole thing" if Click discussed the kerfuffle with him on a local radio station.
#JusticeForNolan
HokieFanDC

Re: Feel good story of the day

Post by HokieFanDC »

PolyTech wrote:Melissa Click is fired.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/25/media/m ... index.html

Melissa Click, the University of Missouri professor who was filmed trying to intimidate journalists during a campus protest, has been fired.

At an executive session Wednesday, the school's Board of Curators voted 4-2 to terminate Click's employment. Click has the right to appeal the decision.

"The board believes that Dr. Click's conduct was not compatible with university policies and did not meet expectations for a university faculty member," board spokeswoman Pam Henrickson said in a statement on Thursday.

Courtney Fitzpatrick, a spokesperson for Click, said, "She is not taking interviews and has no comment at this time."

Last fall, as the Mizzou campus was gripped with protests over charges of racism at the school, Click, an assistant professor of communications, was recorded aggressively confronting a video journalist.

"Hey, who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?" Click could be heard saying on the video. "I need some muscle over here."

The footage quickly went viral, and Click faced an onslaught of criticism. Following the outcry, Click resigned from her courtesy appointment at the Missouri's journalism school. Last month, Click was charged with third-degree assault by the city prosecutor in Columbia, Missouri. The charge is punishable by a fine of up to $300 and up to 15 days in jail.

Mark Schierbecker, the University of Missouri student who captured the incident, originally filed the complaint against Click, but he had suggested an extralegal resolution.

In December, Schierbecker told CNNMoney that he would have been willing to "just drop the whole thing" if Click discussed the kerfuffle with him on a local radio station.
Excellent news indeed! I especially like that she had a chance to discuss her views, but didn't have the balls to do it, and paid the price.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: Feel good story of the day

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I never understood why college professors have this attitude like they don't have to act like professionals. Not all of them mind you, but far too many of them think its okay to act like immature little brats and go out and "protest" at their place of work with a bunch of kids who have yet to step foot in the real world. Is it just a matter that these professors never had to work or live in the real world themselves? Did they just get stuck at the college age maturity level because they never left the campus? Could you image acting like this at the place where you work?

I'm not saying they don't have a right to free speech, but goodness show some class, maturity, and professionalism.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)