Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Has the 2008 depression we're still in changed anyone else l

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

After all of these years of malaise, I hit on a major epiphany, which was asking myself the question, "Why do you want stuff"?

I think envy is the robber of all joy, and all value in life is based on relations with loved ones. I wonder if anyone else feels like they are no longer very interested in being much of a consumer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: Has the 2008 depression we're still in changed anyone el

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:After all of these years of malaise, I hit on a major epiphany, which was asking myself the question, "Why do you want stuff"?

I think envy is the robber of all joy, and all value in life is based on relations with loved ones. I wonder if anyone else feels like they are no longer very interested in being much of a consumer.

Thoughts?

Agree. I think that the people that can enjoy the simple things in life are the happiest. I think that people can be addicted to buying things. It's like a drug. Once the feeling of that new object wears off you need more. Why do we want stuff? Well for guys, we want more stuff because it attracts the opposite sex. Women want more stuff because it gives them a feeling of safety and security.

We are really living in a time of abundance. I don't think humans handle this very well. The more food we see the more we eat. The more stuff we see the more we purchase. We are naturally set up to overheat and hoard. We had to do this in the past because there was no abundance.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Once

Post by Once »

I hadn't really thought about it, but now that you bring it up, yes. I think my focus has shifted from acquiring something new to replacing whatever is worn out if anything. Even then, I'm much more practical than I used to be and ask myself if something needs to be actually replaced or did it bring me much satisfaction in the first place. I have no desire for a new car or house and I've even eased up on shopping for personal items until I actually have a clearly defined need. My cell phone still does the job, my computer does what I need it to do, and I have enough jeans to go 2 weeks without doing laundry. About the only things I purchase now with any frequency are books, and even then I'm a big fan of the public library. If I spend money in a manner that might be considered over the top by some people's standards, it's on vacations. I get a lot of joy out of seeing as many places as I can before I'm too old to hike up to the view, log 15 miles a day on my shoes, or visiting somewhere that resembles my daily life about as much as Mars does. There is this place called Zighy Bay in Oman where you have two choices to arrive at the resort: speedboat in or paraglide. Who would ever choose the speedboat if they're relatively healthy?! Maybe I am still a consumer, but I think maybe it's just that I'm purchasing experiences and memories rather than things these days.
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:After all of these years of malaise, I hit on a major epiphany, which was asking myself the question, "Why do you want stuff"?

Thoughts?

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Absolutely. It's a tenant of the Protestant Work Ethic.

Bonus to CW for turning this into a "women suck" thread. ;)
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Thoughts?

Good topic, and good responses below (particularly CWs until he left the reservation a bit).

Being unemployed for a spell had an effect on me, for the better. It made me realize how happy I could be spending much less money. I'm now making less than I was making before, but can't say that I miss it that much.

Not saying I ilive on Walden pond, just saying I'm fine with my iphone4 and 2002 Camry.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Thoughts?

Good topic, and good responses below (particularly CWs until he left the reservation a bit).

Being unemployed for a spell had an effect on me, for the better. It made me realize how happy I could be spending much less money. I'm now making less than I was making before, but can't say that I miss it that much.

Not saying I ilive on Walden pond, just saying I'm fine with my iphone4 and 2002 Camry.
Woah, car in NYC?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Absolutely. It's a tenant of the Protestant Work Ethic.
+1
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Thoughts?

I already have most everything thing I want. Those that I don't have are in the 2-3k level or less. Another kayak and a couple more rods and then I'm perfect for satisfied wants.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

Thoughts?

A certain guy once spoke quit a bit about this enchantment with acquiring more "stuff," or treasures/money. And He suggested we would actually be made more whole if we worried quite little about them and focused our energies elsewhere. I TRY to do that as often as possible, but I still get caught up in that rat race quite a bit.

And I think I somewhat agree with CW in that we acquire money and things with love and security in mind. We think people will appreciate/love us more for all we have, but others usually loathe or envy us in actuality. And we think money can buy us much more security than it really does.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Thoughts?

For anyone interested, this is a pretty good website on the joys of minimalism, www.becomingminimalist.com

Epic football game yesterday...!

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Thoughts?

I already have most everything thing I want. Those that I don't have are in the 2-3k level or less. Another kayak and a couple more rods and then I'm perfect for satisfied wants.
We're the same. Have everything we truly need and most of what we want. Don't really need anything else. But it's been this way since before the recession. Just who we are, or how we are.

Sounds odd/strange but we don't collect "stuff" anymore, we collect money/assets as it allows us to do what we want outside our normal life, i.e. some to live on and rest into family trust and family charitable foundation.