Is there a true dem or liberal on this board?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
chuckd4vt

Is there a true dem or liberal on this board?

Post by chuckd4vt »

Just curious. Have you guys run them all off? I thought guys like Nolan or IP were Democrats, but they are claiming to be moderate Republicans. I guess it WAS me and HT. You guys attacked every aspect of my being and career, so I left. And it seems HT's found it redeeming to come here and drop outrageous bombs and watch as the dust settles. Anyhow, are there any real liberals here?

I know we're out there. Compared to the recent brand of American conservatism, most of the world's population would be considered liberal.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Is there a true dem or liberal on this board?

Post by nolanvt »

chuckd4vt wrote:Just curious. Have you guys run them all off? I thought guys like Nolan or IP were Democrats, but they are claiming to be moderate Republicans. I guess it WAS me and HT. You guys attacked every aspect of my being and career, so I left. And it seems HT's found it redeeming to come here and drop outrageous bombs and watch as the dust settles. Anyhow, are there any real liberals here?

I know we're out there. Compared to the recent brand of American conservatism, most of the world's population would be considered liberal.
Quite a few UWS members are only comfortable surrounding themselves with like-minded individuals. They think someone like me, a conservative with some left leanings on a couple issues, is a liberal because I don't vote GOP 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

chuckd4vt wrote:Just curious. Have you guys run them all off? I thought guys like Nolan or IP were Democrats, but they are claiming to be moderate Republicans. I guess it WAS me and HT. You guys attacked every aspect of my being and career, so I left. And it seems HT's found it redeeming to come here and drop outrageous bombs and watch as the dust settles. Anyhow, are there any real liberals here?

In fairness, you're fairly dishonest in your debates, representation of other's beliefs, and the world in general. None of that has anything to do with your politics, but your character. And let's dig a little deeper, this isn't the only online community that questioned your integrity, is it?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

To name a few: absolutevt03, TheH2, BG Hokie, Uprising, VoiceofReason, Visorboy, HvilleHokie.

As I've noted before, you are good at lecturing others, but not a good listener/observer.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

"True liberals" would be the libertarians. Classical liberal is defined as one who supports civil liberties, political freedom, the rule of law, representative democracy and economic freedom. That hardly describes what one considers to a "liberal" today.
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

USN_Hokie wrote:

To name a few: absolutevt03, TheH2, BG Hokie, Uprising, VoiceofReason, Visorboy, HvilleHokie.

As I've noted before, you are good at lecturing others, but not a good listener/observer.
Well there ya go. There's a few I guess. I obviously haven't been around as much lately. You're right. It was just quite shocking to see guys I perceived as pretty dang liberal out themselves as Republican voters 85% of the time. And is it just me, or have many of the UWS moderates here moved to the right? Just curious.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Bingo on the last point. He repeats the same erroneous claims over and over, no matter what is said. If he were to be engaged in a dialogue rather than repeating the same unfounded talking points then he could be worth engaging.
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

I'm not registered in any party but here my views definitely seem liberal (in reality they're closer to the center but that's because most people on this board are on the extreme right). I'm more liberal on social issues than I am on fiscal ones. Realistically I don't have a lot of faith in any politician from any party to make much of a difference. I think any potential candidate has to compromise so much of themselves to get to a high level of politics that by the time they get to where they can actually change things they're not the same candidate. I think Kasich is the most capable candidate currently still running but of course he's not conservative enough and thus has no chance to get the nomination. I would vote for Kasich (and Rubio) over Clinton or Sanders. I don't care for Cruz or most of his views and wouldn't vote for him but I'd rather have him than Trump. There's 0.00% chance I vote for Trump.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

absolutvt03 wrote:I'm not registered in any party but here my views definitely seem liberal (in reality they're closer to the center but that's because most people on this board are on the extreme right). I'm more liberal on social issues than I am on fiscal ones. Realistically I don't have a lot of faith in any politician from any party to make much of a difference. I think any potential candidate has to compromise so much of themselves to get to a high level of politics that by the time they get to where they can actually change things they're not the same candidate. I think Kasich is the most capable candidate currently still running but of course he's not conservative enough and thus has no chance to get the nomination. I would vote for Kasich (and Rubio) over Clinton or Sanders. I don't care for Cruz or most of his views and wouldn't vote for him but I'd rather have him than Trump. There's 0.00% chance I vote for Trump.
Agreed. With Cruz, I'd probably like the guy much more if he didn't have such an obsession with the Christian Right.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Well there ya go. There's a few I guess. I obviously haven't been around as much lately. You're right. It was just quite shocking to see guys I perceived as pretty dang liberal out themselves as Republican voters 85% of the time. And is it just me, or have many of the UWS moderates here moved to the right? Just curious.
The nature of this board is topics are driven by the far right crowd and people generally post where they disagree with a post - you don't see long threads of "I agree", the mega threads are on topics or subtopics where there's an argument. So people that are actually moderate or moderate-conservatives in real life come off as more liberal (in the Democrat sense) here because their posts focus on areas they disagree with a far right position.

Out of USN's list, I'd guess only Uprising and VoiceofReason identify with the Democratic party or would call themselves left-of-center.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Hokie5150 wrote:
"True liberals" would be the libertarians. Classical liberal is defined as one who supports civil liberties, political freedom, the rule of law, representative democracy and economic freedom. That hardly describes what one considers to a "liberal" today.
I could be wrong, but I think liberal and libertarian are different, not only now, but traditionally. Libertarian is liberalism to the extremes (my definition so probably wrong).
People who know, know.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

There's a lot of group think reinforcement here. This board is not representative of the USA and its political spectrum as a whole, I think that's pretty easy for anyone to see. The more someone of any party surrounds himself(or herself) with like minds, the more extreme their views will always shift due to that positive reinforcement. Crazy suddenly becomes less and less crazy until you've reached a new normal.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but having Hillary forced down my throat gave me pause to consider voting republican in the national elections. I will still support Kasich, but Hillary if it's Trump.

On the local level I tend to move for Republicans now that I'm in NY. In Houston I usually voted for Texan democrats.

Now that Trump is the standard bearer for the GOP, it will be more difficult for me to vote for any republicans.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:There's a lot of group think reinforcement here. This board is not representative of the USA and its political spectrum as a whole, I think that's pretty easy for anyone to see. The more someone of any party surrounds himself(or herself) with like minds, the more extreme their views will always shift due to that positive reinforcement. Crazy suddenly becomes less and less crazy until you've reached a new normal.
It's amusing. Every 4 years they are faced with that uncomfortable reality, yet they soon decide that their problem is that their candidate was not conservative enough.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

TheH2 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think liberal and libertarian are different, not only now, but traditionally. Libertarian is liberalism to the extremes (my definition so probably wrong).
The present day libertarianism is almost the letter was is now as classical liberalism. Classical liberalism dates back to the 17th century and John Locke.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

The nature of this board is topics are driven by the far right crowd and people generally post where they disagree with a post - you don't see long threads of "I agree", the mega threads are on topics or subtopics where there's an argument. So people that are actually moderate or moderate-conservatives in real life come off as more liberal (in the Democrat sense) here because their posts focus on areas they disagree with a far right position.

Out of USN's list, I'd guess only Uprising and VoiceofReason identify with the Democratic party or would call themselves left-of-center.
I thought it was amusing to see BG and Hville identified as liberals.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:There's a lot of group think reinforcement here. This board is not representative of the USA and its political spectrum as a whole, I think that's pretty easy for anyone to see. The more someone of any party surrounds himself(or herself) with like minds, the more extreme their views will always shift due to that positive reinforcement. Crazy suddenly becomes less and less crazy until you've reached a new normal.
It's amusing. Every 4 years they are faced with that uncomfortable reality, yet they soon decide that their problem is that their candidate was not conservative enough.

It's what happens when one (wrongly) believes that there's a difference between left and right, liberal and conservative. There is not. Both are authoritarian in nature. The real political divide is liberty versus tyranny. Those on the left and the right are both fighting for the same thing--for a government that will impose their sense of morality.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
The present day libertarianism is almost the letter was is now as classical liberalism. Classical liberalism dates back to the 17th century and John Locke.
No it's not. Libertarianism is more like anarchy. There's a government in clasical liberalism, libertarians take it to another level.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

I thought it was amusing to see BG and Hville identified as liberals.
BG is my buddy.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
No it's not. Libertarianism is more like anarchy. There's a government in clasical liberalism, libertarians take it to another level.
You really should try reading more...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
You really should try reading more...
You should try comprehension
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

You must be talking about that looser on the Lounge, because I've never voted for a Democrat in my life.

I've been rooting for Rubio for a long time, not because I align mostly with him, he just seemed like the most electable guy of the front runners once Romney decided he was a no go. On principle, I'm more of a Rand Paul kind of guy.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

awesome guy wrote:I could be wrong, but I think liberal and libertarian are different, not only now, but traditionally. Libertarian is liberalism to the extremes (my definition so probably wrong).
The present day libertarianism is almost the letter was is now as classical liberalism. Classical liberalism dates back to the 17th century and John Locke.[/quote]
No it's not. Libertarianism is more like anarchy. There's a government in clasical liberalism, libertarians take it to another level.[/quote]You really should try reading more...[/quote]
You should try comprehension[/quote]Your post clearly showed that you do not know what you are talking about concerning "classical liberalism" (or "libertarianism" for that matter). You could try educating yourself or could continue to bask in your ignorance of the subject matter. It matters not to me...
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It's what happens when one (wrongly) believes that there's a difference between left and right, liberal and conservative. There is not. Both are authoritarian in nature. The real political divide is liberty versus tyranny. Those on the left and the right are both fighting for the same thing--for a government that will impose their sense of morality.
I can agree with that totally.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I could be wrong, but I think liberal and libertarian are different, not only now, but traditionally. Libertarian is liberalism to the extremes (my definition so probably wrong).
No it's not. Libertarianism is more like anarchy. There's a government in clasical liberalism, libertarians take it to another level.[/quote]You really should try reading more...[/quote]
You should try comprehension[/quote]Your post clearly showed that you do not know what you are talking about concerning "classical liberalism" (or "libertarianism" for that matter). You could try educating yourself or could continue to bask in your ignorance of the subject matter. It matters not to me...[/quote]
I'm not the ignorant one Ace ...