Is there a true dem or liberal on this board?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Is there a true dem or liberal on this board?

Post by USN_Hokie »

ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:Just curious. Have you guys run them all off? I thought guys like Nolan or IP were Democrats, but they are claiming to be moderate Republicans. I guess it WAS me and HT. You guys attacked every aspect of my being and career, so I left. And it seems HT's found it redeeming to come here and drop outrageous bombs and watch as the dust settles. Anyhow, are there any real liberals here?

I know we're out there. Compared to the recent brand of American conservatism, most of the world's population would be considered liberal.
To name a few: absolutevt03, TheH2, BG Hokie, Uprising, VoiceofReason, Visorboy, HvilleHokie.

As I've noted before, you are good at lecturing others, but not a good listener/observer.
Well there ya go. There's a few I guess. I obviously haven't been around as much lately. You're right. It was just quite shocking to see guys I perceived as pretty dang liberal out themselves as Republican voters 85% of the time. And is it just me, or have many of the UWS moderates here moved to the right? Just curious.
The nature of this board is topics are driven by the far right crowd and people generally post where they disagree with a post - you don't see long threads of "I agree", the mega threads are on topics or subtopics where there's an argument. So people that are actually moderate or moderate-conservatives in real life come off as more liberal (in the Democrat sense) here because their posts focus on areas they disagree with a far right position.

Out of USN's list, I'd guess only Uprising and VoiceofReason identify with the Democratic party or would call themselves left-of-center.
Uprising and VoR are to the left of mainstream democrats. BG, visorboy, and absolute are absolutely liberals. I forgot 'ol Elberto too....definitely a card-carrying liberal.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:Just curious. Have you guys run them all off? I thought guys like Nolan or IP were Democrats, but they are claiming to be moderate Republicans. I guess it WAS me and HT. You guys attacked every aspect of my being and career, so I left. And it seems HT's found it redeeming to come here and drop outrageous bombs and watch as the dust settles. Anyhow, are there any real liberals here?

I know we're out there. Compared to the recent brand of American conservatism, most of the world's population would be considered liberal.
To name a few: absolutevt03, TheH2, BG Hokie, Uprising, VoiceofReason, Visorboy, HvilleHokie.

As I've noted before, you are good at lecturing others, but not a good listener/observer.
Well there ya go. There's a few I guess. I obviously haven't been around as much lately. You're right. It was just quite shocking to see guys I perceived as pretty dang liberal out themselves as Republican voters 85% of the time. And is it just me, or have many of the UWS moderates here moved to the right? Just curious.
The nature of this board is topics are driven by the far right crowd and people generally post where they disagree with a post - you don't see long threads of "I agree", the mega threads are on topics or subtopics where there's an argument. So people that are actually moderate or moderate-conservatives in real life come off as more liberal (in the Democrat sense) here because their posts focus on areas they disagree with a far right position.

Out of USN's list, I'd guess only Uprising and VoiceofReason identify with the Democratic party or would call themselves left-of-center.
Uprising and VoR are to the left of mainstream democrats. BG, visorboy, and absolute are absolutely liberals. I forgot 'ol Elberto too....definitely a card-carrying liberal.
Then why does BG claim to vote for Republicans? Do you think he's lying about that for some sort of UWS debate tactical advantage or something? I'm curious how this logic plays out...
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:There's a lot of group think reinforcement here. This board is not representative of the USA and its political spectrum as a whole, I think that's pretty easy for anyone to see. The more someone of any party surrounds himself(or herself) with like minds, the more extreme their views will always shift due to that positive reinforcement. Crazy suddenly becomes less and less crazy until you've reached a new normal.
Very true - look at JFK. He'd be a Republican if he were running today. He'd certainly be to the right of John McCain, for example.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

ieatbacon wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Then why does BG claim to vote for Republicans? Do you think he's lying about that for some sort of UWS debate tactical advantage or something? I'm curious how this logic plays out...
USN is a gun luster. Also a MIC neo-con. If you don't subscribe to either, you are a lib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:There's a lot of group think reinforcement here. This board is not representative of the USA and its political spectrum as a whole, I think that's pretty easy for anyone to see. The more someone of any party surrounds himself(or herself) with like minds, the more extreme their views will always shift due to that positive reinforcement. Crazy suddenly becomes less and less crazy until you've reached a new normal.
Very true - look at JFK. He'd be a Republican if he were running today. He'd certainly be to the right of John McCain, for example.

I think both sides have gone more to crazy.

It's about time for a third party to jump in and try and grab the middle. That would force both the republicans and democrats to trot back to the middle. A large portion of the left leaning and right leaning people aren't voting for their respective party, they're voting against the other one. I think all of donald trump's fanbase is really just voting against everyone else. It's them raising their political middle finger.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ieatbacon wrote: Then why does BG claim to vote for Republicans? Do you think he's lying about that for some sort of UWS debate tactical advantage or something? I'm curious how this logic plays out...
So what? You probably would say the same, no? It might be a rouse, or he might actually believe it (maybe he voted for Bush in '92...or the republican treasurer for his township). Hell, a lot of voters are just unprincipled, straight-up idiots whose opinions only verify they're able to string together sentences on a keyboard.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote: Then why does BG claim to vote for Republicans? Do you think he's lying about that for some sort of UWS debate tactical advantage or something? I'm curious how this logic plays out...
So what? You probably would say the same, no? It might be a rouse, or he might actually believe it (maybe he voted for Bush in '92...or the republican treasurer for his township). Hell, a lot of voters are just unprincipled, straight-up idiots whose opinions only verify they're able to string together sentences on a keyboard.
USN Hokie likes butt stuff and I think that's his prerogative. There, I'm liberal on the gaze!
absolutvt03
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Voter Apathy

Post by absolutvt03 »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
USN Hokie likes butt stuff and I think that's his prerogative. There, I'm liberal on the gaze!
By his own logic, he's remained silent on the matter in this thread and therefore supports it.
Forum rules: Please be civil.
"You do suck and are a terrible human being." - awesome guy
"maybe because you're autistic" - USN_Hokie
Seriously... there's only ONE rule.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

awesome guy wrote:I'm not the ignorant one Ace ...
Your posts on the matter of libertarianism and classic liberalism show quite plainly otherwise...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
Your posts on the matter of libertarianism and classic liberalism show quite plainly otherwise...

Another swing and a miss. Classical liberalism isn't libertarianism. At best, you're conflating federalism with libertarianism. But I think ya'll like to say such ignorant things to take on a legacy that you don't have.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Ahh, so you are the same BG from the lounge. Makes sense. Chive on, retard.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

absolutvt03 wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
By his own logic, he's remained silent on the matter in this thread and therefore supports it.
Who are you a retread of? Shortstumphokie? He always used to make incoherent arguments and then run away, sort of like you.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Hey Chief. If you have a problem with BG, then you have a problem with me. Where are you physically located right now?
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
absolutvt03 wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Who are you a retread of? Shortstumphokie? He always used to make incoherent arguments and then run away, sort of like you.

Shortpump was way more angry in my opinion. Absolute has the same mental capabilities of Diggety, though is more verbose in his ramblings.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Hey Chief. If you have a problem with BG, then you have a problem with me. Where are you physically located right now?
I can recommend a Starbuck's at the intersection of Three Chopt and Patterson, near U of R.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I like it. This will be like the time that AG and Pancaker were supposed to meet at that bar, but neither of them (probably, and wisely) showed up.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Hey Chief. If you have a problem with BG, then you have a problem with me. Where are you physically located right now?
Really strong post, ip. USN Hokie is the type of neck that wears a Cooter brimmed hat with a fishing hook on it. He's a really cool feller.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:I like it. This will be like the time that AG and Pancaker were supposed to meet at that bar, but neither of them (probably, and wisely) showed up.

dur de dur.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
Really strong post, ip. USN Hokie is the type of neck that wears a Cooter brimmed hat with a fishing hook on it. He's a really cool feller.
I like how you chivers put the stickers on the back of your car. Makes it easier to identify the low self-esteem, underachieving, alcoholic white trash on the road.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Are you mad at him burning you on the lounge?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Now all we need is for FloHo to show up and cry for another Pledge.....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Maybe regretfully so, but I think I'm willing to actually engage you and understand why it is you think I am a liberal? What particular positions have I taken in which that is the case?
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
What, specifically, are you talking about? I'm not familiar.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BG Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
What, specifically, are you talking about? I'm not familiar.

Your dumb Cooter dig.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Another swing and a miss. Classical liberalism isn't libertarianism. At best, you're conflating federalism with libertarianism. But I think ya'll like to say such ignorant things to take on a legacy that you don't have.
Actually, in The Road the Serfdom, Hayek refers to himself and his political theory as "liberalism." The modern forward in recent editions has a good discussion on the etymology of the word, which was commonly used to describe what would be called libertarianism today in the pre-WW2 period, but mostly in Britain.

ETA: With that said, Hayek would roll in his grave if he knew TheH2 was calling himself a classical liberal.