Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Do you live in a bubble?

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
You got 44 points.

42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
Yes, I'm first-generation (Dad was born in Hungary and came here as a refugee after the October Revolution of 1956). I would say I'm firmly middle-class, not so much upper-middle. As for my parents, Dad was college educated and made a nice living as a CPA, but he was very much working-class before finishing college. He worked in the Union Camp Paper Mill in Franklin (City), VA, along with every other male living in that town. Mom grew up very much working-class.
If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.
Right. Living in a small, working class town with little life experience outside of that habitat, is also living in a bubble.
Exactly, that's the part I don't understand.
I think you guys are interpreting it wrong.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
You got 44 points.

42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
Yes, I'm first-generation (Dad was born in Hungary and came here as a refugee after the October Revolution of 1956). I would say I'm firmly middle-class, not so much upper-middle. As for my parents, Dad was college educated and made a nice living as a CPA, but he was very much working-class before finishing college. He worked in the Union Camp Paper Mill in Franklin (City), VA, along with every other male living in that town. Mom grew up very much working-class.
If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.
Right. Living in a small, working class town with little life experience outside of that habitat, is also living in a bubble.
I don't think that we are.

Pretend you are a less educated cwtcr and see how "thin" your bubble is and how high your score is.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote: Yes, I'm first-generation (Dad was born in Hungary and came here as a refugee after the October Revolution of 1956). I would say I'm firmly middle-class, not so much upper-middle. As for my parents, Dad was college educated and made a nice living as a CPA, but he was very much working-class before finishing college. He worked in the Union Camp Paper Mill in Franklin (City), VA, along with every other male living in that town. Mom grew up very much working-class.

Pretend you are a less educated cwtcr and see how "thin" your bubble is and how high your score is.
I think one automatically loses 25 points just for being on the PBS website.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.[/quote]
Right. Living in a small, working class town with little life experience outside of that habitat, is also living in a bubble.[/quote]

Exactly, that's the part I don't understand.[/quote]

I think you guys are interpreting it wrong.[/quote]

Pretend you are a less educated cwtcr and see how "thin" your bubble is and how high your score is.[/quote]
I think one automatically loses 25 points just for being on the PBS website.[/quote]

I retook the quiz as someone who grew up in a small town, and can breath in a small town. I got a 88.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.
Right. Living in a small, working class town with little life experience outside of that habitat, is also living in a bubble.[/quote]

Pretend you are a less educated cwtcr and see how "thin" your bubble is and how high your score is.[/quote]
I think one automatically loses 25 points just for being on the PBS website.[/quote]

I retook the quiz as someone who grew up in a small town, and can breath in a small town. I got a 88.[/quote]

Now take it again but check the boxes for the shirty restaurants and TV shows.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.

I retook the quiz as someone who grew up in a small town, and can breath in a small town. I got a 88.[/quote]

Now take it again but check the boxes for the shirty restaurants and TV shows.[/quote]

My John Cougar Mellencamp clone loved Applebee's, Maury, and waffle houses. 88. Thin bubble.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Now take it again but check the boxes for the shirty restaurants and TV shows.[/quote]

My John Cougar Mellencamp clone loved Applebee's, Maury, and waffle houses. 88. Thin bubble.[/quote]

Lol, OK then.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I'm not really sure where I would fall in the designation...I guess it would be 11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
screenshot-www pbs org 2016-04-07 11-58-52.png
screenshot-www pbs org 2016-04-07 11-58-52.png (265.73 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

"Have you ever used the subway before?" should have been another question. :mrgreen:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:No I don't mean like the bubble boy on Seinfeld.

Interesting quiz. I got a 39 which makes sense to me.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sens ... -a-quiz-2/

36. A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
Sounds about right, that pretty much describes a lot of Richmond.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:36. A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
Sounds about right, that pretty much describes a lot of Richmond.
I was sorta of looking at that definition but as a kid we were middle class...then later in life my folks became upper middle class (when they got rid of us kids) . :mrgreen:

CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

35 for the cultured CW.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.

Basically, the quiz is saying that mainstream American culture is watching crappy TV, eating at bad restaurants, and drinking crappy beer. And if you haven't experienced those things, then you are the one living in a bubble, not the people who have experienced different things in their lives. Kinda silly if you take it that way, but pretty interesting.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

73 for me...
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:35 for the cultured CW.
Meh buttermilk is cultured. :)

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I answered as if I was Ted Kennedy and got a 2. I think the two points were from answering "yes" to the fishing question. :mrgreen:

Uprising
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Major Kong wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:35 for the cultured CW.
Meh buttermilk is cultured. :)
Get a room.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:"Have you ever used the subway before?" should have been another question. :mrgreen:

This is where you need Brooklyn roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... P_J6gmJYiU
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

62 here
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

I was a 39
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Are we allowed to take the test, given the author's recent struggles w VT?

He's so.....racist. LOL
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: If, hypothetically, you like to eat at Applebees, drink mass-produced beer and watch a lot of stupid TV shows or movies, you'd be in a *thinner* bubble? I think parts of the quiz are silly.

Basically, the quiz is saying that mainstream American culture is watching crappy TV, eating at bad restaurants, and drinking crappy beer. And if you haven't experienced those things, then you are the one living in a bubble, not the people who have experienced different things in their lives. Kinda silly if you take it that way, but pretty interesting.
Yeah, I kinda though the test was really "Are you the average American consumer".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

Dang. I got an 83. Po white trash all the way baby.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote: Right. Living in a small, working class town with little life experience outside of that habitat, is also living in a bubble.

Yeah, I kinda though the test was really "Are you the average American consumer".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's the new frontier of buttache. Us poor white trash kids will finally be cool! Urban redneck may be the next landing spot for lumbersexuals. Look for them to start douching up their cars with aluminum rocket launchers and $20 Walmart combos that are never used, but are part of the look.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.