Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Vegetarians are less healthy

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
It is pretty easy to draw a conclusion though on the obesity crisis in three charts. Let's compare consumption in 1975 to 2012.

Here is meat + fish, by adding the last two columns. 1975= 195 lbs; 2014= 214 lbs.

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/a ... in-pounds/

Here is dairy; 1975=539lbs, 2014=612lbs

http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Dairy ... sp_1_.xlsx

Here is sugar; too lazy to get a better chart but let's estimate 1975 is 80lbs and 2012 at 100lbs a year.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... tion.2.jpg

Add those three up.

1975- 819 lbs of consumption per year of high calorie dense foods
2012- 926 lbs of same foods.

So, well over 100lbs of additional eating a year. People were not starving in 1975. There is your healthcare crisis. I bet this adds 5 to 10lbs of fat to a person per year. After ten years of this, you are huge.
You have to look closer at those #'s. Red meat consumption is down or about the same depending on where you look. Chicken consumption has skyrocketed:

Egg consumption is only 2/3rds what it was in the 50's.

Dairy consumption is up, but whole milk consumption has plummeted while lowfat/nonfat milk and cheese consumption has increased:

Sugar consumption is up, but cane sugar consumption is down significantly. Meanwhile, corn syrup consumption has increased by 8 fold:

Where the numbers are startling is with grain consumption (which you didn't mention):

Swabbie, don't take comfort in chicken or lowfat milk. A quick Google search shows one cup of chicken has 124 mg of cholesterol, and who eats a cup? You probably eat two per meal, so you would be at 248 mg in one meal. Even the meat industry friendly USDA says you should limit cholesterol to 300 mg PER DAY, and that's coming from an organization trying to sell meat, eggs, and dairy. So if you had a man sized serving at one meal, you would have to then go vegan the rest of the day to stay under the inflated guidelines.

As for lowfat milk, there is a lot of stuff out there on casein, the protein in milk linking it to our cancer epidemic. Google caesin and cancer if you want to. As the fat content goes down, the protein goes up, which if you research this will lead you to some interesting conclusions when you see everyone with their pink ribbons this fall.

If you want to go down the Paleo path, and believe grains are making people fat, then google "Loren Cordain is fat". He is the father of the Paleo moment. He looks like excrement and is fat. Look at his pictures before he "discovered" his diet. Quite a change in appearance.

Your life is your own Swabbie....I will only respond to this thread to correct you, as my service to mankind. Lol.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
133743Hokie

Re: Vegetarians are less healthy

Post by 133743Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
It is pretty easy to draw a conclusion though on the obesity crisis in three charts. Let's compare consumption in 1975 to 2012.

Here is meat + fish, by adding the last two columns. 1975= 195 lbs; 2014= 214 lbs.

Here is sugar; too lazy to get a better chart but let's estimate 1975 is 80lbs and 2012 at 100lbs a year.

Add those three up.

So, well over 100lbs of additional eating a year. People were not starving in 1975. There is your healthcare crisis. I bet this adds 5 to 10lbs of fat to a person per year. After ten years of this, you are huge.
You have to look closer at those #'s. Red meat consumption is down or about the same depending on where you look. Chicken consumption has skyrocketed:

Dairy consumption is up, but whole milk consumption has plummeted while lowfat/nonfat milk and cheese consumption has increased:

Sugar consumption is up, but cane sugar consumption is down significantly. Meanwhile, corn syrup consumption has increased by 8 fold:

Where the numbers are startling is with grain consumption (which you didn't mention):

Swabbie, don't take comfort in chicken or lowfat milk. A quick Google search shows one cup of chicken has 124 mg of cholesterol, and who eats a cup? You probably eat two per meal, so you would be at 248 mg in one meal. Even the meat industry friendly USDA says you should limit cholesterol to 300 mg PER DAY, and that's coming from an organization trying to sell meat, eggs, and dairy. So if you had a man sized serving at one meal, you would have to then go vegan the rest of the day to stay under the inflated guidelines.

As for lowfat milk, there is a lot of stuff out there on casein, the protein in milk linking it to our cancer epidemic. Google caesin and cancer if you want to. As the fat content goes down, the protein goes up, which if you research this will lead you to some interesting conclusions when you see everyone with their pink ribbons this fall.

If you want to go down the Paleo path, and believe grains are making people fat, then google "Loren Cordain is fat". He is the father of the Paleo moment. He looks like excrement and is fat. Look at his pictures before he "discovered" his diet. Quite a change in appearance.

Your life is your own Swabbie....I will only respond to this thread to correct you, as my service to mankind. Lol.
Are you scared of every dietary bogeyman in the grocery store or market? A simple diet of moderation solves all and has worked forever.
Bay_area_Hokie

Vegetarians are less healthy

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Add those three up.

Are you scared of every dietary bogeyman in the grocery store or market? A simple diet of moderation solves all and has worked forever.
No, I am just tired of going to funerals of friends and relatives in their 40s and 50s. I am sick of the girls I went to high school with asking for prayer requests on Facebook cause they have breast cancer, a disease that didn't exist or wasn't common not too many years ago.

For any Paleo people, before you kill yourselves by starving your bodies of fiber, hence ruining your GI tract and immune system, take a good look at what all the Paleo gurus look like. This is worth three minutes of your life in lieu of killing yourself.

http://youtu.be/2zVxA6yipv4

Are these healthy, athletic Americans? No.

Moderation?? If you read the book "The Blue Zones", it discusses five places on the planet with rock bottom cancer, heart disease, and diabetes rates. Okinawa Japan, Loma Linda, CA, and three others. There are a few common themes of all five but the most startling is meat consumption of five times a month on average. Is that what you mean by moderation? I would bet most Americans would think moderation means twice a day, or 60 times a month. I think moderation is meaningless word too open to interpretation.

I am not afraid of anything, I am just sharing information. Do with it as you wish.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Add those three up.

No, I am just tired of going to funerals of friends and relatives in their 40s and 50s. I am sick of the girls I went to high school with asking for prayer requests on Facebook cause they have breast cancer, a disease that didn't exist or wasn't common not too many years ago.

For any Paleo people, before you kill yourselves by starving your bodies of fiber, hence ruining your GI tract and immune system, take a good look at what all the Paleo gurus look like. This is worth three minutes of your life in lieu of killing yourself.

Moderation?? If you read the book "The Blue Zones", it discusses five places on the planet with rock bottom cancer, heart disease, and diabetes rates. Okinawa Japan, Loma Linda, CA, and three others. There are a few common themes of all five but the most startling is meat consumption of five times a month on average. Is that what you mean by moderation? I would bet most Americans would think moderation means twice a day, or 60 times a month. I think moderation is meaningless word too open to interpretation.

I am not afraid of anything, I am just sharing information. Do with it as you wish.
That video is bullcrap. They aren't fat. And the "lean" people look gaunt and weak, like a stiff wind could push them over. I use my muscles too much to starve them with a vegetarian diet.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Add those three up.

That video is bullcrap. They aren't fat. And the "lean" people look gaunt and weak, like a stiff wind could push them over. I use my muscles too much to starve them with a vegetarian diet.
You are always my favorite AG :)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Add those three up.

The problem is quantity, not quality.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

BAH....you completely misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying chicken and lowfat milk are healthy (quite the opposite, really - but not for the reasons you suggest). Cholesterol? Did you see the egg consumption 60 years ago compared to today? Also, I'm not endorsing a paleo diet.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I am going to shut up about this after one more post. Swabbie, I really don't care what you eat, BUT I do think America's massive healthcare crisis is largely a food based situation. You don't agree with the path I have taken to end all my problems, which IWII.

However, try to be open minded regarding your health.

Our family GP retired recently so we got a new one. I visited her as I had not been to a doctor in awhile and she took my blood. Look at my blood numbers. Any doctor will tell you these are outstanding and done with NO pills. I also had a B12 test done, as she was curious if I had an issue.

These numbers are pretty good. No plavix, no lisinopril, none of that crap.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you that the populace is over medicated and do not eat healthy. but the point is if you eat a decent diet and do some exercise you can eat pretty much what you want, just in reasonable quantities.
Uprising
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

PSA
Charring meat on a grill or in a pan has been thought to increase the formation of cancer-causing compounds for some time. Researchers linked increased consumption of meat cooked at high temperatures with an increased risk for renal cell carcinoma, or kidney cancer, in a new study.

The study comes on the heels of a large review of research by the World Health Organization that said processed meat such as bacon and sausage causes cancer, and that all red meat “probably” causes cancer.
http://www.albanydailystar.com/health/u ... -9269.html
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Uprising wrote:PSA
Charring meat on a grill or in a pan has been thought to increase the formation of cancer-causing compounds for some time. Researchers linked increased consumption of meat cooked at high temperatures with an increased risk for renal cell carcinoma, or kidney cancer, in a new study.

The study comes on the heels of a large review of research by the World Health Organization that said processed meat such as bacon and sausage causes cancer, and that all red meat “probably” causes cancer.
http://www.albanydailystar.com/health/u ... -9269.html
PSA: Not only will soy grow your moobs, it may even make them cancerous...
The Effects of Soy Supplementation on Gene Expression in Breast Cancer: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/ ... 3fb7b82c93