Meanwhile, at the Libertarian Party convention.....

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Meanwhile, at the Libertarian Party convention.....

Post by awesome guy »

Just the type of people hillvillian and Nolan can get behind!

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously. A lot of the fashionable libertarians on FB are embarrassed as they're starting to understand how their party is perceived and this stuff just cements it.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Did you read the story? He was booed off the stage and then immediately dropped out of the race. Citizens like me are libertarian, and don't always agree with the Libertarian Party.

However, I would put Gary Johnson (although I would prefer Rand Paul) up against Trump or Clinton at any time to debate policy- either would wipe the floor since neither national party has well crafted policies based on reality or effectiveness.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:Did you read the story? He was booed off the stage and then immediately dropped out of the race. Citizens like me are libertarian, and don't always agree with the Libertarian Party.

However, I would put Gary Johnson (although I would prefer Rand Paul) up against Trump or Clinton at any time to debate policy- either would wipe the floor since neither national party has well crafted policies based on reality or effectiveness.
+1.

If only Rand could communicate like RR......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

+1
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:Did you read the story? He was booed off the stage and then immediately dropped out of the race. Citizens like me are libertarian, and don't always agree with the Libertarian Party.

+1.

Rich Rodriguez?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Please tell me what led you to believe I didn't read the story. Thanks.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

I was addressing AG- sorry for the confusion.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:Please tell me what led you to believe I didn't read the story. Thanks.

I was addressing AG- sorry for the confusion.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Gary Johnson got booed at this convention for coming out in favor of controversial topics like having to have a license to drive a car.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

HooFighter wrote:Gary Johnson got booed at this convention for coming out in favor of controversial topics like having to have a license to drive a car.

And yet, he won the nomination, proving that a majority of Libertarians are NOT anarchists. They do understand that government serves a purpose -- to protect the rights of the individual.

Now... Driver's licenses... Personally, I think if you're going to operate a motor vehicle in a public highway then the public has an interest in making sure you meet certain minimum qualifications to do so. I don't have a problem with driver's licenses.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
HooFighter wrote:Gary Johnson got booed at this convention for coming out in favor of controversial topics like having to have a license to drive a car.

And yet, he won the nomination, proving that a majority of Libertarians are NOT anarchists. They do understand that government serves a purpose -- to protect the rights of the individual.

Now... Driver's licenses... Personally, I think if you're going to operate a motor vehicle in a public highway then the public has an interest in making sure you meet certain minimum qualifications to do so. I don't have a problem with driver's licenses.
the big problem is those that drive without a license also tend to not have any insurance. Bad problem in my area is illegal aliens driving badly and wrecking often then it is on you as they usually have no insurance and no way to get money from them for the damages and/or fatalities.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

some folks should be required to wear clothes at all times (even in the shower)
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Hokie CPA wrote:
Well, he got 55.8% of the vote on the second ballot, beating out a Fox News producer and guy who had to flee his teenage-prostitute filled Central American compound because he probably killed a guy.

The only way for Gary Johnson to succeed is to leave his party behind.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Well, he got 55.8% of the vote on the second ballot, beating out a Fox News producer and guy who had to flee his teenage-prostitute filled Central American compound because he probably killed a guy.

Fast ball out of a glass house right there.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

Isn't this the third presidential election in a row for Johnson?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

HooFighter wrote:Well, he got 55.8% of the vote on the second ballot, beating out a Fox News producer and guy who had to flee his teenage-prostitute filled Central American compound because he probably killed a guy.

And still a better alternative than that put forth by the DNC or GOP.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie5150 wrote:
HooFighter wrote:Well, he got 55.8% of the vote on the second ballot, beating out a Fox News producer and guy who had to flee his teenage-prostitute filled Central American compound because he probably killed a guy.

And still a better alternative than that put forth by the DNC or GOP.
Sadly, I may be voting for Gary for a second time. Not that I dislike him, just that he has no chance of winning, and the other 2 choices are abominable.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

HokieFanDC wrote:Sadly, I may be voting for Gary for a second time. Not that I dislike him, just that he has no chance of winning, and the other 2 choices are abominable.
IF the pollster start including him in their polling and IF he can get into the national debates, I think he actually has a decent chance of winning giving the turmoil surrounding the "mainstream" candidates. When the two "mainstream" candidates have disapproval ratings over 50%, there's an opening to be exploited...
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

Hokie5150 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:Sadly, I may be voting for Gary for a second time. Not that I dislike him, just that he has no chance of winning, and the other 2 choices are abominable.
IF the pollster start including him in their polling and IF he can get into the national debates, I think he actually has a decent chance of winning giving the turmoil surrounding the "mainstream" candidates. When the two "mainstream" candidates have disapproval ratings over 50%, there's an opening to be exploited...
IF he could win some delegates, and prevent anyone from getting a majority, it would be interesting what the house republicans would do. I'm sure they'd still go Trump, since he'll say whatever they want to hear, but a small part of me wants to believe they'd go with the proven conservative governor...
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
What?! A decent chance of winning? His/Libertarian position is contrary to a great majority of Americans. There is absolutely no way he can come close to winning.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

133743Hokie wrote: His/Libertarian position is contrary to a great majority of Americans.
Please provide your evidence for this assumption. Polling data would seem to indicate otherwise...
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ther ... ian-views/
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: His/Libertarian position is contrary to a great majority of Americans.
Please provide your evidence for this assumption. Polling data would seem to indicate otherwise...
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ther ... ian-views/
Most Americans agree with only portions or segments, and it varies person to person. Few agree with the majority of libertarian positions.