Kong - heard there were two hikers stabbed near Marion

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Kong - heard there were two hikers stabbed near Marion

Post by USN_Hokie »

...on the Appalachian Trail. Any local scuttlebutt? Looks like they have the perp...curious if he is a transient or a local.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/sout ... the-county
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Kong - heard there were two hikers stabbed near Marion

Post by Major Kong »

Ayup...The Trail is closed now. The local report is that their dog alerted other hikers and took them to the victims. No word as of yet whether the 2 are dead or alive. No name has been released on the attacker.

The 2 victims were found fairly close to each other (but different counties) and it's not know which county the attacks took place but it'll be a Fed case.

I'm not sure when the trail will reopen but the local sheriff's don't believe there is any further danger.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Confirmed that the man has deceased:

https://wcyb.com/resources/media/60afd1 ... 7676587307
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote:Confirmed that the man has deceased:

https://wcyb.com/resources/media/60afd1 ... 7676587307
Bastard is smiling.

South Yarmouth.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Confirmed that the man has deceased:

Bastard is smiling.

South Yarmouth.
Here's another article...accidentally just linked the photo before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... 4b444bb629
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Interesting that he was arrested in TN a few weeks ago for attempted assault w/ the machete, and let go. No charges. I wonder what becomes of the murderer's dog.

I've encountered some weird effers up there on the AT. Once, near punchbowl (a shelter closer to the James River on Thunder Ridge), there was a guy who came into our camp late after we'd already set up. He had nothing but beans (and farted profusely). Told us that when he went to sleep, if we tried to kill him in his sleep, we'd better do it right because he'd kill us if we didn't. :shock:

Yeah. That was a good night's sleep.
:lol: We tried to give him food, and he wouldn't take it. He had like $1.85 worth of hard dried beans..a pound or so..and that was it. Claimed to be through-hiking, but had the look of prison release with no where else to go.

Another time, a real drunk backwood redneck guy fell in with our little hiking group, and wouldn't leave us. Kept making disparaging comments about our gear (shoes, daypacks, poles, etc). I honestly wondered if it would turn violent. We had him out-numbered, but had no idea if he was armed (we weren't). Even if he wasn't armed, he had the look of someone who'd be quite damaging in a fight.

This attack, though.. it appears he was actually hiking the trail. It seems to me that past assaults and murders were by someone just going up there, for a day or weekend, and not really part of that AT cult.

Anyone else ever read the book, Murder on the Appalachian Trail?
Salute the Marines
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

RiverguyVT wrote:Interesting that he was arrested in TN a few weeks ago for attempted assault w/ the machete, and let go.
The hiker's wouldn't press charges for the assault.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Interesting that he was arrested in TN a few weeks ago for attempted assault w/ the machete, and let go. No charges. I wonder what becomes of the murderer's dog.

I've encountered some weird effers up there on the AT. Once, near punchbowl (a shelter closer to the James River on Thunder Ridge), there was a guy who came into our camp late after we'd already set up. He had nothing but beans (and farted profusely). Told us that when he went to sleep, if we tried to kill him in his sleep, we'd better do it right because he'd kill us if we didn't. :shock:

:lol: We tried to give him food, and he wouldn't take it. He had like $1.85 worth of hard dried beans..a pound or so..and that was it. Claimed to be through-hiking, but had the look of prison release with no where else to go.

Another time, a real drunk backwood redneck guy fell in with our little hiking group, and wouldn't leave us. Kept making disparaging comments about our gear (shoes, daypacks, poles, etc). I honestly wondered if it would turn violent. We had him out-numbered, but had no idea if he was armed (we weren't). Even if he wasn't armed, he had the look of someone who'd be quite damaging in a fight.

This attack, though.. it appears he was actually hiking the trail. It seems to me that past assaults and murders were by someone just going up there, for a day or weekend, and not really part of that AT cult.

Wow...had no idea you were a hiker! I've hiked in that area...it's actually one of the more remote sections of the trail. Beautiful country....though I always have a gun. ;)

The event which inspired "Murder in the Appalachian Trail" actually happened near Virginia Tech, just south of Pearisburg. I say inspired because the book is supposedly not accurate.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Interesting that he was arrested in TN a few weeks ago for attempted assault w/ the machete, and let go.
This. They charged him with possession and impersonation for giving incorrect info, but not assault because the hikers wouldn't press charges.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Interesting that he was arrested in TN a few weeks ago for attempted assault w/ the machete, and let go. No charges. I wonder what becomes of the murderer's dog.

Wow...had no idea you were a hiker! I've hiked in that area...it's actually one of the more remote sections of the trail. Beautiful country....though I always have a gun. ;)

The event which inspired "Murder in the Appalachian Trail" actually happened near Virginia Tech, just south of Pearisburg. I say inspired because the book is supposedly not accurate.
Waipiti (sp?) shelter. It happened the summer before I came down to the burg. I've hiked that area near Newport & Pearisburg, etc. Ever do Wind Rock? The AT folks ended up moving the trail AND the shelter so as not to have that same spot used anymore. I'm told the book was pretty accurate (interesting you'd heard the opposite). Riverwife is a local from Bburg.

Its amazing that they let that nut back out, and in no time, he did the same darn thing again. "Mysteriously" died in custody.

I need to think about carrying a handgun out there. I don't even own one. The couple we usually hike with would not approve; they are ultra-left. Riverwife prolly wouldn't mind.

My Thunder Ridge incident was actually part of a bike/camping trip I was on, and we pushed bikes up the trail, having come off of the Blue Ridge Pkwy... But I've hiked/camped extensively all through that area. A favorite of mine is Arcadia.

The incident with the drunk guy was further north, in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park near Rose River. That was just as scary since we had the wives with us.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

oh.. another thought about that area just north of Blacksburg.

There's an Audie Murphy memorial up there. I think that's where his plane went down when he died. Dude lives through all that wwii action he saw...and goes down in a plane just near Blacksburg.

https://hokiehiker.wordpress.com/audie-murphy-memorial/
Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Waipiti (sp?) shelter. It happened the summer before I came down to the burg. I've hiked that area near Newport & Pearisburg, etc. Ever do Wind Rock? The AT folks ended up moving the trail AND the shelter so as not to have that same spot used anymore. I'm told the book was pretty accurate (interesting you'd heard the opposite). Riverwife is a local from Bburg.

Its amazing that they let that nut back out, and in no time, he did the same darn thing again. "Mysteriously" died in custody.

I need to think about carrying a handgun out there. I don't even own one. The couple we usually hike with would not approve; they are ultra-left. Riverwife prolly wouldn't mind.

My Thunder Ridge incident was actually part of a bike/camping trip I was on, and we pushed bikes up the trail, having come off of the Blue Ridge Pkwy... But I've hiked/camped extensively all through that area. A favorite of mine is Arcadia.

The incident with the drunk guy was further north, in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park near Rose River. That was just as scary since we had the wives with us.
I've hiked almost the whole AT section from Daleville to Pearisburg... I like Wind Rock but Rice Fields is still the most fondly remembered. I use a Hill People Gear Kit Bag for my HK P2000sk when backpacking. The only person I ever encountered who I'm sure suspected there was a gun inside was a day hiker wearing an NRA hat...not too worried. The chest packs are popular with thru hikers so nobody bats an eye. I enjoy the extra peace of mind.

There's definitely some odd people you encounter out there. I always try to camp high and away from shelters/roads/streams whenever I can. Besides avoiding the weirdos/drunks, you also get less mice and bigger pests.

Last edited by USN_Hokie on Tue May 14, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

By the way, your comment about wapiti is contested. The event happened the same year the "new" Wapiti shelter was built, some people swear that it was at the "new" shelter which is fairly close.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote: By the way, your comment about wapiti is contested. The event happened the same year the "new" Wapiti shelter was built, some people swear that it was at the "new" shelter which is fairly close.
I may be wrong, and wouldn't bet the farm...but..I'm pretty sure the new one was built in response to the murders. Yes, the same year. My understanding is the murder resulted in one of the two shelters not being there anymore, and the trail actually re-routed just a bit.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hiking and homeless always seemed like a fine line for most of the participants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
This. They charged him with possession and impersonation for giving incorrect info, but not assault because the hikers wouldn't press charges.
And we get back to --- if a crime is committed against you to press charges and get a resolution as you save the next person from having to deal with the criminal.... but people don't want to be bothered so somebody that should not have been in the public gets to kill at will...... thus personal carry
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Hiking and homeless always seemed like a fine line for most of the participants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most? LOL. Nah.

But... guys like this murderer? I've often wondered about young people released from a short jail sentence, cut off (disowned) from family, no prospects, no home to go to... yeah. I can see it. The festival scene is similar. Homelessness meets trust fund babies over a shroom or acid (or, these days, heroin).
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Salute the Marines
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

RiverguyVT wrote:Bastard is found incompetent

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/ ... 2a616.html
:shock: :o :shock:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Bastard is found incompetent

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/ ... 2a616.html
To be honest, he should have been in a mental institution a while ago.