Love how this is painted as worrying about renters LOL

http://www.pymnts.com/news/regulation/2 ... tigations/
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
cwtcr hokie

Re: Nice to see the Democrats worry so much about Hotel Lobb

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Love how this is painted as worrying about renters LOL

of course, bnb should have section 8 rentals....its only fair.

now the folks renting their places can expect to return to everything stripped out of the residence and the place trashed, but at least they are fair.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

now the folks renting their places can expect to return to everything stripped out of the residence and the place trashed, but at least they are fair.
The point is that apartment complexes are zoned for long-term living, and are done so because it provides long term residency for the people that want to work and be part of the community. If they want to be a hotel, or short-term rental, then they can apply for a zoning change or variance, and go about their business. Companies in LA have been kicking out their long-term tenants and renting those spaces on airbnb. There isn't a ton of rental housing in LA, so that sucks for the tenants. The land use and planning departments issue permits to buildings to try and maintain the balance between long-term and short-term rental properties for a reason.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

The point is that apartment complexes are zoned for long-term living, and are done so because it provides long term residency for the people that want to work and be part of the community. If they want to be a hotel, or short-term rental, then they can apply for a zoning change or variance, and go about their business. Companies in LA have been kicking out their long-term tenants and renting those spaces on airbnb. There isn't a ton of rental housing in LA, so that sucks for the tenants. The land use and planning departments issue permits to buildings to try and maintain the balance between long-term and short-term rental properties for a reason.
an apartment is by definition a transient type of living, I understand what you are saying though. the complexities of modern living
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

an apartment is by definition a transient type of living, I understand what you are saying though. the complexities of modern living

Apartments are not transient living. Lots of people, especially in big cities, live in the same apartment all their lives.

But, I also think penalizing airbnb is the wrong way to manage it. If an apartment owner is breaking the law, then they should be fined and cited under the law. I'm sure cities are doing this b/c they don't have the manpower to police it, so they are trying to legislate their duties somewhere else.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Apartment building owners have things called leases they make people sign. If they want, they can out rules in the lease to forbid this. Please spare me, this is all about protecting hotel owners. What % of the apartments in the US are on AirBnB this minute? I would be shocked if it was 1%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Apartment building owners have things called leases they make people sign. If they want, they can out rules in the lease to forbid this. Please spare me, this is all about protecting hotel owners. What % of the apartments in the US are on AirBnB this minute? I would be shocked if it was 1%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what you're saying. My understanding is that apartment owners (owners of apartment buildings, not people living them) have started putting their apartment units on airbnb for short term rental. So, when someone's lease is up, the apartment bldg owner doesn't renew the lease, and puts it on airbnb.

That's illegal. Buildings zoned as residential apartment can't be rented out the way airbnb works.

If it were apartment residents renting out their space, that's already in almost every lease...you can't sublet your apartment as a general rule.