Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ieatbacon

Re: The evidence that Russia was behind the DNC hack

Post by ieatbacon »

awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote: You're saying the cops at the Watergate are the bad guys because they caught the crooks. FYI, we've hacked their systems too. That's what espionage is all about and isn't anything new. The real crime is the DNC and Clinton using such weak and incompetent security in addition to their corruption. You're acting as if hacking a political party is the same as hacking a federal system.

Russia is not the cops. And Russia has taken a step beyond espionage. The military term is information operations. We do it too, but we're the good guys, remember?
Huh? They released DNC secrets, not national secrets.
How did you jump to "national secrets"? My post had nothing to do with that.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

cwtcr hokie wrote: the head of Hillary's campaign said during and interview this weekend that the Russians were working with the Trump people.....it is freaking hilarious that the morons think this. It was a hack and it exposed the DNC is all.
If true, that is a stupid comment by the Clinton campaign. They have no evidence of that. But don't let stupid politicians distract a dedicated effort by a foreign adversary.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote: You're saying the cops at the Watergate are the bad guys because they caught the crooks. FYI, we've hacked their systems too. That's what espionage is all about and isn't anything new. The real crime is the DNC and Clinton using such weak and incompetent security in addition to their corruption. You're acting as if hacking a political party is the same as hacking a federal system.

Russia is not the cops. And Russia has taken a step beyond espionage. The military term is information operations. We do it too, but we're the good guys, remember?
Huh? They released DNC secrets, not national secrets.
How did you jump to "national secrets"? My post had nothing to do with that.
That's the impression you're giving by framing this as a military subversion operation.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: the head of Hillary's campaign said during and interview this weekend that the Russians were working with the Trump people.....it is freaking hilarious that the morons think this. It was a hack and it exposed the DNC is all.
If true, that is a stupid comment by the Clinton campaign. They have no evidence of that. But don't let stupid politicians distract a dedicated effort by a foreign adversary.
We're not letting stupid people promote the idea that foreign adversary is to blame for Democrat corruption and media propaganda.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
We're not letting stupid people promote the idea that foreign adversary is to blame for Democrat corruption and media propaganda.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:I don't think anyone is shocked that Russia was behind the DNC hack. They want to influence the election to Trump's favor who they support of the two candidates.

But these embarrassing leaks don't happen if you're operating a well-run organization (strong IT security, not colluding behind particular candidates that could come back to bite you, etc.), which we know the DNC is not. They should have taken the advice of a wise man who once said don't put anything in work emails that you wouldn't want printed on the front page of the New York Times.
#MadTheyGotCaught
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Russia just wants to disrupt the west, and the US in particular, any way they can. And what better way than doing so to our presidential election.

Disagree a bit. Putin is awful in a lot of ways and there's certainly validity to what you're saying. But he's also serious about fighting Islamic terrorism. He's the strongest opponent in the ME right now. And he likely also wants the US to help in that regard. We've 8 years of Obama supporting the Muslim Brotherhood as well as the toppling of secular dictators in favor or Islamic dictators. Russia is interested in not only stopping Islamic Terror, but also keeping secular governments in the ME, which they can do business with. So there's overlapping strategic interests with Russia, even if they are a frenemy. Trump is a dove in a lot of ways and so will likely stomp ISIS, but then try to pull us out of the ME. Clinton on the other hand is a hawk and will engage in more nation toppling, like she championed in Libya. Not only does her incompetent approach just turn the nation over to radicals, it also makes it impossible to do business there as it's become a hell hole. Not even Russia wants that situation, they want one where they can trade and intimidate under the table. So yeah, they're liars and cheaters too, but they still want a civilized playing field to cheat on.
Ehh...Russia wants to maintain/expand its influence in the region. They've been very successful at that by supporting dictatorships (I guess that's a secular gov't). Trying to grow a democracy (what the US is supposedly doing) is a lot harder and more risky (see-Libya). Russia would be happy if we were pre-occupied with our own shirt and not meddling in their affairs (in this case, their affairs are stabilizing dictatorships to they can buy arms from and sell resources to Russia). The Russians only care about terrorists in so much as they destabilize countries with Russian arms/energy agreements.

The basic point is the same: Russia (if they are in fact the source of the leak) isn't supporting Trump, they're supporting unrest. Not holding the Democrats to the rule of law will create more unrest. We win by showing we are still a country of laws, not people. Thus, the answer is not to ignore/disregard this information, but shine sunlight on it.
This isn't a long term distraction for us. I'm saying they're not just trying to divert our attention or destabilize us. I'm saying it's valid that they would prefer Trump in office as he won't destabilize the ME as Clinton has. They neither want Islamic governments from their own battle against terrorism nor the removal of trading partners for oil and weapons. I think saying it's a generic destabilization effort is disingenuous as they would benefit from President Trump, as we all would. Russia benefiting from Trump doesn't undermine his policy, even if Russia also benefits.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ieatbacon wrote:
If true, that comment is beyond stupid and borderline treasonous itself. Baseless accusations like that start
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
If true, that comment is beyond stupid and borderline treasonous itself. Baseless accusations like that start
The Russian thing is just a smokescreen for the sheeple.
miles

Post by miles »

ieatbacon wrote:I thought I'd post this here since most of the news coverage doesn't seem to explain why we know Russia was involved in the DNC hack.

There's 2 very not surprising, but interesting components to that DNC leak:

1) How overtly the DNC favored Clinton (against Sanders, but also it's easy to assume legitimate alternatives we're discouraged from even running)

2) And that Russia is willing to influence our election basically out in the open with no fear of consequences. The link is the analysis of the incident response team, which attributes the DNC hack to 2 different and independent Russian actors. This analysis predates both the actual leak and Guccifer 2.0 post (although they added a note about that later).

https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/bears- ... committee/
Meh...I guess the Muslim cartoon was already tried.
The most probable explanation, and this has been predicted by sophisticated NPR models, is this is another consequence of climate change. Over ninety percent of political scientists agree that man made contributions of hot air and propaganda by ersatz journalists in the MSM are irreparably damaging the political atmosphere. This is the tipping point. :lol:
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
I agree. We obviously have 2 candidates that care more about winning than the truth. Claiming your opponent is working with Russia is similar in truthiness to implying your opponents father was involved in the assassination of a President.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:ya'll are hilarious. The veil of your party's corruption is lifted so you deflect with this "Russia wants Trump!" silliness. Your beloved "news" sources are elso exposed as propagandaists for the democrats. Your kingdom is burning, that's where your attention should be placed as the democrats, Washington Post, CNN, etc have lost all credibility through this. Not only has your boat been torpedoed below the water line, but the hull has fallen out from under the deck. These leaks have inflicted incredible damage to whole liberal ecosystem as it shows the media, big corporate donors, and democrats all working together in a rigged system that keeps you little people in line while simultaneously giving control the deepest pocketbooks. It's exposed the left as a shell for special interests and has destroyed all credibility of not only the democrats, but their media agents. The stench of democrat corruption isn't covered by deflecting to Putin. And hey, it's the same playbook used on all leftist fronts, especially AGW and global warming. These same liars are the ones telling everyone 97% of scientists agree with AGW. Ya'll are going to learn a hard lesson that even in these days, credibility still matters. Especially in this situation where speaking is all you can do, yet no one believes you.
Do you think crowdstrike is part of this liberal conspiracy? You seem to left them out of your rant, despite it's their analysis, during incident response, that attributes the attack to Russia. Do you think they're put their professional reputation on the line to score a couple minor political points? That's doesn't make sense.

The world is more complex than D vs. R. Attributing the attack to Russia isn't a defense of Clinton.

Russia may believe Trump is better for them (see his comments on NATO), but even if that's true, that doesn't mean Clinton is better for the US.
So we're clear, the liberal conspiracy has been exposed. I'm saying you and the democrats have exposed yourself with this deflection. The messenger doesn't make your dumpster fire any more appealing. That's where your attention should be focused instead of diverting to Russia as a scapegoat. Let's talk about the important stuff, like the media and democrats being in cahoots with each other to smear their opposition.
Both are important. I agree with the vast majority of the discussions in the other threads, but didn't see anything about the Russia link, so thought I'd add the source of the analysis, rather than a WP/NYT/CNN article that usually confuse the issue.

To put it simply. A foreign adversary overtly and effectively influencing our presidential election is a really big deal, even if they are helping your team.
To put it simply, one of our 2 major parties overtly and effectively influencing our presidential election is infinitely more important the anyone exposing the Dem subterfuge. Talking about the source of the exposure of the dirty underbelly of the Dem machine, is a childish deflection. And it shows how immoral the Dems are, especially those aligned with Clinton.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ieatbacon wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
I agree. We obviously have 2 candidates that care more about winning than the truth. Claiming your opponent is working with Russia is similar in truthiness to implying your opponents father was involved in the assassination of a President.
Deflection.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

HokieFanDC wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:ya'll are hilarious. The veil of your party's corruption is lifted so you deflect with this "Russia wants Trump!" silliness. Your beloved "news" sources are elso exposed as propagandaists for the democrats. Your kingdom is burning, that's where your attention should be placed as the democrats, Washington Post, CNN, etc have lost all credibility through this. Not only has your boat been torpedoed below the water line, but the hull has fallen out from under the deck. These leaks have inflicted incredible damage to whole liberal ecosystem as it shows the media, big corporate donors, and democrats all working together in a rigged system that keeps you little people in line while simultaneously giving control the deepest pocketbooks. It's exposed the left as a shell for special interests and has destroyed all credibility of not only the democrats, but their media agents. The stench of democrat corruption isn't covered by deflecting to Putin. And hey, it's the same playbook used on all leftist fronts, especially AGW and global warming. These same liars are the ones telling everyone 97% of scientists agree with AGW. Ya'll are going to learn a hard lesson that even in these days, credibility still matters. Especially in this situation where speaking is all you can do, yet no one believes you.
Do you think crowdstrike is part of this liberal conspiracy? You seem to left them out of your rant, despite it's their analysis, during incident response, that attributes the attack to Russia. Do you think they're put their professional reputation on the line to score a couple minor political points? That's doesn't make sense.

The world is more complex than D vs. R. Attributing the attack to Russia isn't a defense of Clinton.

Russia may believe Trump is better for them (see his comments on NATO), but even if that's true, that doesn't mean Clinton is better for the US.
So we're clear, the liberal conspiracy has been exposed. I'm saying you and the democrats have exposed yourself with this deflection. The messenger doesn't make your dumpster fire any more appealing. That's where your attention should be focused instead of diverting to Russia as a scapegoat. Let's talk about the important stuff, like the media and democrats being in cahoots with each other to smear their opposition.
Both are important. I agree with the vast majority of the discussions in the other threads, but didn't see anything about the Russia link, so thought I'd add the source of the analysis, rather than a WP/NYT/CNN article that usually confuse the issue.

To put it simply. A foreign adversary overtly and effectively influencing our presidential election is a really big deal, even if they are helping your team.
To put it simply, one of our 2 major parties overtly and effectively influencing our presidential election is infinitely more important the anyone exposing the Dem subterfuge. Talking about the source of the exposure of the dirty underbelly of the Dem machine, is a childish deflection. And it shows how immoral the Dems are, especially those aligned with Clinton.
People on this board should be tuned in enough to not get distracted by additional facts. I am not attempting to deflect from 1) The DNC's actively favoring Clinton, 2) The exposure of them providing political positions for donors, etc. I am highlighting that the "it was Russia" talking point is not just liberal nonsense, it is based on a thorough investigation and incident response that indicated two specific, known Russian actors. It appears Russia chose to hack the DNC and they chose to release a subset of what they stole. They probably tried to do the same to the RNC - maybe they failed, maybe they got in but everyone in the RNC was on the up and up, or maybe what they retrieved didn't benefit them geopolitically. Who knows?

At any rate, people shouldn't let partisanship/hatred for Dems prevent them from ALSO trying to understand why this was leaked, what was the leaker trying to gain, etc.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

HokieFanDC wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
Deflection.
Fair point. Trying for context.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:

People on this board should be tuned in enough to not get distracted by additional facts. I am not attempting to deflect from 1) The DNC's actively favoring Clinton, 2) The exposure of them providing political positions for donors, etc. I am highlighting that the "it was Russia" talking point is not just liberal nonsense, it is based on a thorough investigation and incident response that indicated two specific, known Russian actors. It appears Russia chose to hack the DNC and they chose to release a subset of what they stole. They probably tried to do the same to the RNC - maybe they failed, maybe they got in but everyone in the RNC was on the up and up, or maybe what they retrieved didn't benefit them geopolitically. Who knows?

At any rate, people shouldn't let partisanship/hatred for Dems prevent them from ALSO trying to understand why this was leaked, what was the leaker trying to gain, etc.
You're making a ton of inferences and innuendo. Very Moby like.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

awesome guy wrote:
I knew I'd get the Moby tag.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
If the shoe fits ...
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
If the shoe fits ...
It's a good shoe to put on someone when everyone needs to fit into either D or R.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
If the shoe fits ...
It's a good shoe to put on someone when everyone needs to fit into either D or R.
Or someone spreading BS and deglecting under the facade of discovery.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Here is what is going to happen.

The MSM and Full Time Nimrods (FTM) are going to work super uber mega overtime to find absolutely anything, everything, inane thing that could possibly be connected to the GOP...it could go back 500 years it won't matter. It will be spun into the most egregious thing in the history of the world. Anything to dodge, spin, duck, evade and deflect from the Wiki-Leak issue.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

hawk1965
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: democrat

Post by hawk1965 »

Let me try to understand this little right wing outrage over the e mails.
1-The dnc was in favor of Hillary and not the socialist outsider.Duh,what a surprise.
2-Was the rnc not pushing everyone except the landlord?Where are their emails,or does Putin not care as long as Donald won?
3-So Hillary may encourage the break up of strong men in the middle east and destroy Russia's trade relations with these countries, therefore weakening Russia.Not in favor of disarray in the middle east,but do not think it is our job to protect Russia.
4-Last,name one republican before the fall of the Libyan dictator who was in favor of not taking him out.
Did the phrase leading from behind originate from the democrats or republicans?
miles

Post by miles »

Major Kong wrote:Here is what is going to happen.

The MSM and Full Time Nimrods (FTM) are going to work super uber mega overtime to find absolutely anything, everything, inane thing that could possibly be connected to the GOP...it could go back 500 years it won't matter. It will be spun into the most egregious thing in the history of the world. Anything to dodge, spin, duck, evade and deflect from the Wiki-Leak issue.
What do you mean -"going to happen" :?:
Is there something new :?:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

ieatbacon wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ieatbacon wrote:

The Dems and the DNC are implying that Trump and the Russians are aligned. Hillary's little toad, Mook, did exactly that.

Answer this. It is more important that the Dem party took actions to influence the POTUS election, or to figure out why someone, possibly the Russians, leaked info showing the Dem party trying to influence the POTUS election.
ieatbacon

Post by ieatbacon »

HokieFanDC wrote:

The Dems and the DNC are implying that Trump and the Russians are aligned. Hillary's little toad, Mook, did exactly that.

Answer this. It is more important that the Dem party took actions to influence the POTUS election, or to figure out why someone, possibly the Russians, leaked info showing the Dem party trying to influence the POTUS election.
The DNC actions are more important. More than 1 thing can be important.