There's something missing here

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BG Hokie

Re: There's something missing here

Post by BG Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Who he does business with would not necessarily show up on a government tax form
True but any pass through entities of which he is an owner would. As well as certain foreign investment disclosures, etc. that could be interesting for someone on the cusp of leading our great nation. A transparent way to vet any potential conflicts of interest but not an all encompassing way by any means.
miles

Post by miles »

BG Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Who he does business with would not necessarily show up on a government tax form
True but any pass through entities of which he is an owner would. As well as certain foreign investment disclosures, etc. that could be interesting for someone on the cusp of leading our great nation. A transparent way to vet any potential conflicts of interest but not an all encompassing way by any means.
Does that include ClintonCashEnterprisesLLC, or are you just after Trump?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

miles wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
Clinton has released her tax docs, and the Clinton Foundation docs are all public info.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

miles wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
It includes all politicians. Some how I've been blessed with the ability to think through things without a hyper partisan outlook. From my experience on this board, that's actually a rare trait.

FWIW miles, I'm voting for the Libertarian but rooting for Trump in the general election.

Now admit you were dead wrong in your Accenture comments in the locked Penn St. thread. Be a man!
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BG Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
It includes all politicians. Some how I've been blessed with the ability to think through things without a hyper partisan outlook. From my experience on this board, that's actually a rare trait.

FWIW miles, I'm voting for the Libertarian but rooting for Trump in the general election.

Now admit you were dead wrong in your Accenture comments in the locked Penn St. thread. Be a man!
Seriously, the AC thing again!!! Please stop!!!!
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:

Seriously, the AC thing again!!! Please stop!!!!
No thanks.
miles

Post by miles »

Am I enjoying your puerile and flaccid flailing of deceased horse flesh too much for you to desist :?:
:)
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

miles wrote:Am I enjoying your puerile and flaccid flailing of deceased horse flesh too much for you to desist :?:
:)
I find grown ups who can't admit their wrong to be a pretty pathetic lot. Call it a social experiment. It's ok to admit you're wrong. I will stop spiking the football at such a point.
miles

Post by miles »

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

BG Hokie wrote:
Depending upon the type of transaction, pass through entities would still not necessarily show the "who".

Still interesting topic to contemplate.
I imagine Trumps taxes would be on the extreme side of extremely complex.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: What is the benefit to the public of a candidates tax return?
Do they practice what they preach? Transparency is beneficial in our taxpayer supported government officials.
What? Do you mean "do they pay taxes"? That is easy to resolve. Have the IRS produce a letter that the individual has filed their taxes every year and that there are no outstanding amounts due. Simple.

Now, if you mean "do they pay their fair share", as long as they are legit with the tax code then IMO they are, and it's none of my business. But I expect that's what this is really all about, isn't it. Looking for that "gotcha" where someone can pout thru the return and say that this or that is questionable, that they didn't give enough to charity, that their effective rate was too low, etc., etc. Am I right?
Do they say they give to charity or church but really don't? Do they say they have experience owning small businesses but they have no business income, ever? Do they say they pay a ton of taxes but they really don't? Your solution is to grow the government by giving them another form to fill out for the supposed benefit of it's citizens. No thanks, I like the current model, where a politician may elect to disclose or not to disclose with the expectation of potential scrutiny either way.
Excuse me? Grow the government by giving them another form to fill out? Really -- that's all you've got?
No, I've made 4 or 5 points, including the extra dig that you wanted to seek help from the government to solve an issue that isn't an issue. It was ironically funny. I'm a true conservative, don't need to look to government for a solution to a problem that the free market can take care of well enough on it's own.
I wasn't aware that IRS confirmation (as the entity that collects taxes) was really seeking help from the government for a solution to an issue that isn't an issue, whatever that means. None of your other points are relevant except to provide "gotcha" fodder.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Transparency of its prospective elected officials is valuable in a democratic republic. It's part of the vetting process. Was Obama vetted more than enough, or were the people complaining about a lack of vetting re: Obama just going after gotcha fodder?