Just witnessed the best viral marketing / troll job I've...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Just witnessed the best viral marketing / troll job I've...

Post by USN_Hokie »

...ever seen. I still don't know all the details, but here's what I know.

1. Weird dollar bills start popping up, reportedly in circulation:

2. As more pop up, a reddit page gets created. Then posters start showing up around the country.

3. Then, a webpage. The webpage has a countdown timer, and the website owner keeps posting more clues/riddles. Crazy detail:

With everything else going on, people are thinking that it has something to do with wikileaks/hacks or whatnot. The dollar bills end up on ebay. Somebody paid $341 for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-BadSe ... SwAuZX1y-L

4. Countdown timer went to zero at 7pm.

I didn't pay much attention to the whole thing because I assumed it was viral marketing for video game or some such thing, but I checked in at 7 to see what it was. :mrgreen: When the timer goes to zero, a video starts playing (I didn't go to the website because I didn't want a virus. This is what was relayed to me.). The video is close up, disgusting video of partial birth abortions. Like, lose your dinner disgusting The whole thing was an anti-abortion project. His website had millions of hits, and I only saw one post on one website that suggested the anti-abortion angle, and it was immediately shot down.