IP located

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

IP located

Post by awesome guy »

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: IP located

Post by USN_Hokie »

Wait until they find out he's a lawyer.......
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

This is good. I want to use it to spring board to my next question: what whiskey or whisky is too good to mix and which ones need to be mixed?

I grew fond of whiskey during college. A lot of 30% Beam, 70% Coke (liquid variety not powdered). Henry McKenna was a common handle we got as well.

As an adult that grew to 50/50's with Diet Coke being the more common adult choice, with diet ginger ale kind of taking the cake. When I hit 35 I became more likely to drink whiskey just on the rocks. I figure it needs to be truly aged for me to drink it on the rocks or even neat on occasion (more likely in the winter). I've gotten several different aged whiskeys but which level of whisky is too good to go half and half with ginger?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I've always been straight up on the rocks guy myself in re to bourbon.

Rum strictly Coke or now Coke Zero (been years though).

Scotch :?: Never my thing despite the Scottish heritage...my Dad though loved Scotch...straight up mostly, his favorite cheap Scotch concoction :?: Hot Scotch and milk w/ cocoa.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BG Hokie wrote:This is good. I want to use it to spring board to my next question: what whiskey or whisky is too good to mix and which ones need to be mixed?

I grew fond of whiskey during college. A lot of 30% Beam, 70% Coke (liquid variety not powdered). Henry McKenna was a common handle we got as well.

As an adult that grew to 50/50's with Diet Coke being the more common adult choice, with diet ginger ale kind of taking the cake. When I hit 35 I became more likely to drink whiskey just on the rocks. I figure it needs to be truly aged for me to drink it on the rocks or even neat on occasion (more likely in the winter). I've gotten several different aged whiskeys but which level of whisky is too good to go half and half with ginger?
Well this all started with AG (being a manly man of course) criticizing my agreement with USN in that you should add a splash of water to any good whisky if you want to really appreciate how the spirit tastes and you are drinking it neat. The water will open the spirit up and allow you to taste it better. You also get some flavors with a little water that you do not get when drinking it without, particularly cask strength bottles (about 46% abv) and spirits that do not employ chill filtering. We are talking about a few drops of water to a dram.

The answer to your question is your own personal preference, though it doesn't make much sense to drink any good bourbon or scotch if you are going to mask the taste with soda/coke/pop. You are not going to taste the spirit that way, so you may as well be drinking what AG drinks (cheap redneck shirt).

Whiskey snobs will tell you that taking it on the rocks also masks the taste, but I prefer most bourbons on the rocks. IMO, Scotch and Japanese whiskys are best enjoyed neat (with a splash of water after tasting it first without).

And as a bonus: I recommend that you pick up a bottle of Craigellachie 13 if you see it in your liquor store. No chill filtering and bottled without caramel color added (which whisky snobs disapprove of, but doesn't affect the taste). Retails for about $60 - not crazy expensive.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BG Hokie wrote:This is good. I want to use it to spring board to my next question: what whiskey or whisky is too good to mix and which ones need to be mixed?

Well this all started with AG (being a manly man of course) criticizing my agreement with USN in that you should add a splash of water to any good whisky if you want to really appreciate how the spirit tastes and you are drinking it neat. The water will open the spirit up and allow you to taste it better. You also get some flavors with a little water that you do not get when drinking it without, particularly cask strength bottles (about 46% abv) and spirits that do not employ chill filtering. We are talking about a few drops of water to a dram.

The answer to your question is your own personal preference, though it doesn't make much sense to drink any good bourbon or scotch if you are going to mask the taste with soda/coke/pop. You are not going to taste the spirit that way, so you may as well be drinking what AG drinks (cheap redneck shirt).

Whiskey snobs will tell you that taking it on the rocks also masks the taste, but I prefer most bourbons on the rocks. IMO, Scotch and Japanese whiskys are best enjoyed neat (with a splash of water after tasting it first without).

And as a bonus: I recommend that you pick up a bottle of Craigellachie 13 if you see it in your liquor store. No chill filtering and bottled without caramel color added (which whisky snobs disapprove of, but doesn't affect the taste). Retails for about $60 - not crazy expensive.
...correct.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

For me, if it was condensed via an old radiator coil then it gets cut. If condensed in copper coils from the store then straight up.

If you are cutting with water ("what pussies call a splash"), make sure it's distilled so it ads no flavor. Big picture, only snobs really care about this. If you cut a $500 bottle of scotch with kool-aid then that's your business. I wouldn't, but don't think you're a cave man if you do either. I only use soft drinks with rot gut like Jack Daniels.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

For me, if it was condensed via an old radiator coil then it gets cut. If condensed in copper coils from the store then straight up.

If you are cutting with water ("what pussies call a splash"), make sure it's distilled so it ads no flavor. Big picture, only snobs really care about this. If you cut a $500 bottle of scotch with kool-aid then that's your business. I wouldn't, but don't think you're a cave man if you do either. I only use soft drinks with rot gut like Jack Daniels.
This is kind of silly if you realize that most spirits are already "cut" with water before it even gets to you.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

This is kind of silly if you realize that most spirits are already "cut" with water before it even gets to you.
From 180 to 120 or 80. You're cutting again from there.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Pretty sure cask strength for most bourbons is about 100 - 110 proof. You must be confusing it with your ever clear.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Pretty sure cask strength for most bourbons is about 100 - 110 proof. You must be confusing it with your ever clear.
It comes off the still hoter and is cut/normalized going to cast. That's why all million or whatever bottles have the same proof. Grain was 190 :)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

It comes off the still hoter and is cut/normalized going to cast. That's why all million or whatever bottles have the same proof. Grain was 190 :)
FTR I have some Jack in my liquor cabinet. It's not that bad on the rocks, given that the charcoal filtering removes most of the taste.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote: For me, if it was condensed via an old radiator coil then it gets cut. If condensed in copper coils from the store then straight up.

FTR I have some Jack in my liquor cabinet. It's not that bad on the rocks, given that the charcoal filtering removes most of the taste.
I swore that crap off long ago. My FIL likes to bring Gentleman's Jack and talks like it's a fine bourbon. I don't say anything because he's from CA and so doesn't know any better. I gave him some Blantons to give him a glimpse into the good stuff. I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 like a madman. Then one New Year's eve, I cooked a porter house steak, then drank an entire fith of 101, and then ate the second porter house. I was sick for 3 days straight, swore that off too. From that, I learned that the more I want to sip, the better the bourbon. You slam and chug the rot gut.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: This is kind of silly if you realize that most spirits are already "cut" with water before it even gets to you.
I swore that crap off long ago. My FIL likes to bring Gentleman's Jack and talks like it's a fine bourbon. I don't say anything because he's from CA and so doesn't know any better. I gave him some Blantons to give him a glimpse into the good stuff. I used to drink Wild Turkey 101 like a madman. Then one New Year's eve, I cooked a porter house steak, then drank an entire fith of 101, and then ate the second porter house. I was sick for 3 days straight, swore that off too. From that, I learned that the more I want to sip, the better the bourbon. You slam and chug the rot gut.
My go to Bourbon is Buffalo Trace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miles

Post by miles »

Meh -

My old man, VPI '32, had a PhD in Bourbon, dissertation on Sour Mash.
The most important ingredient in good bourbon, according to him, was the water source. Nothing beat limestone spring water. Any decent bourbon started with that. He could lecture on good sour mash bourbon, and like our resident UWS patent attorney he would give it a splash of water.

True story: He'd drop in, unannounced, from time to time when I was in school. I used to think at the time he was trying to catch me in the process of effing up, which I was wont to do in those days. This particular time, late summer before my senior year, I was living in a Drapers Meadow apartment building right on the corner of Prices Fork and Turner (I think - it's all changed now). Anyway Dad walks in, late afternoon and, fortunately, does not catch anyone smoking pot. We didn't even have any beer. Dad looks around for some hooch, but all we had was about half of a hog leg of Bacardi rum. So he poured himself a snort, added a splash of water, and drank that. We scratched our heads over that one. God I miss the sob. The older I got, the smarter he got - imagine that. :lol:
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

If you have to cut your whiskey (or whisky as the scots spell it), you are either a pussy or too cheap to buy good stuff. Buy good whiskey, splash a bit of water in it (no more than a sprinkle) and enjoy.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

miles wrote:Meh -

My old man, VPI '32, had a PhD in Bourbon, dissertation on Sour Mash.
The most important ingredient in good bourbon, according to him, was the water source. Nothing beat limestone spring water. Any decent bourbon started with that. He could lecture on good sour mash bourbon, and like our resident UWS patent attorney he would give it a splash of water.

True story: He'd drop in, unannounced, from time to time when I was in school. I used to think at the time he was trying to catch me in the process of effing up, which I was wont to do in those days. This particular time, late summer before my senior year, I was living in a Drapers Meadow apartment building right on the corner of Prices Fork and Turner (I think - it's all changed now). Anyway Dad walks in, late afternoon and, fortunately, does not catch anyone smoking pot. We didn't even have any beer. Dad looks around for some hooch, but all we had was about half of a hog leg of Bacardi rum. So he poured himself a snort, added a splash of water, and drank that. We scratched our heads over that one. God I miss the sob. The older I got, the smarter he got - imagine that. :lol:
+1,000,000 ;)
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

It's been proven that you should add a splash of water (or ice) to any distilled spirit.

https://lnu.se/en/meet-linnaeus-univers ... ith-water/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk