The tv star that died in the car crash.....yeah, it's sad

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

The tv star that died in the car crash.....yeah, it's sad

Post by oaktonhokie »

but why is he elevated in death beyond the life of his passenger in the car?

There is a make shift monument at the site of the crash. To the tv star.

I don't begrudge the grief of family and friends for the loss of someone close to them. It just seems out of whack that his life is somehow more important and more grief-worthy than the lives of others.

He was the drive iirc. He was exceeding the speed limit in a Porsche carerra. Probably his fault. Not sure, but in a one car crash that exceeded the speed limit....

Why is there not some guilt that he killed the passenger? Why does no one care about the other guy? Is the tv star responsible for the death of another human being, albeit a lesser one?

Again, sad that anyone dies this way. But the celebrity attitude in this country is a shame.

Fame for the sake of fame. God help us if a kardashian gets hurt in a crash. Wall to wall coverage by media for weeks. She is famous, she's a celeb. She is worth more than the rest of us.

Is she, really?

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/story/offi ... r-20131202
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
RWNJ
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Re: The tv star that died in the car crash.....yeah, it's sa

Post by RWNJ »

I may be wrong, with out looking it up, I believe he was a passenger, not the driver.
oaktonhokie wrote:but why is he elevated in death beyond the life of his passenger in the car?

I don't begrudge the grief of family and friends for the loss of someone close to them. It just seems out of whack that his life is somehow more important and more grief-worthy than the lives of others.

He was the drive iirc. He was exceeding the speed limit in a Porsche carerra. Probably his fault. Not sure, but in a one car crash that exceeded the speed limit....

Why is there not some guilt that he killed the passenger? Why does no one care about the other guy? Is the tv star responsible for the death of another human being, albeit a lesser one?

Again, sad that anyone dies this way. But the celebrity attitude in this country is a shame.

Fame for the sake of fame. God help us if a kardashian gets hurt in a crash. Wall to wall coverage by media for weeks. She is famous, she's a celeb. She is worth more than the rest of us.

Is she, really?

We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:but why is he elevated in death beyond the life of his passenger in the car?

Is she, really?

I think it's the power of volume. A 100 million give just 2 cents about this guy, so everyone is talking about it, but few are devastated like his friends and family or those of the race car driver. Princess Diana was another matter, but most of the time it's lots of people caring very little.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Just like anything else that makes the news - why was the Holloway girl's death (name? - the girl from Alabama that was killed by the Dutch guy) any more important than any other abducted person's death? There are countless reasons why people pay attention to some things and not others.

Is she, really?

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

RWNJ wrote:I may be wrong, with out looking it up, I believe he was a passenger, not the driver.
Yeah I had read where he was the passenger in the Porsche.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

You are correct. I wasn't sure of the guy's name. Walker was the passenger.

Thanx for the correction. Apologies for inaccuracy.

RWNJ wrote:I may be wrong, with out looking it up, I believe he was a passenger, not the driver.

Is she, really?

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

he was the passenger, he was not driving, and yes it is idiotic the fawning over him as he probably could have avoided dying by getting the guy to slow down. Something to remember is the dumbasses were on a city street and by the grace of god did not kill someone in another vehicle. Like the moron that passed the truck this morning on my way into work in bad fog on a two lane road....drive like crap, wreck your vehicle but don't do it around me!

Is she, really?

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Well, he did crash in Valencia, pretty close to where I lived out there.

So there's that.

Is she, really?

BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

Is she, really?

The media tells us what to care about and we tell the media what to care about. We care about celebrities.

And from what I've read, other than being an obvious hearthrob (where is the Ghey Hokie login when you need it) he was a pretty caring guy.

When my sister in law told me, she said it somberly, and my voice didn't miss a beat when I responded with very matter of fact questions in conversational tone, "oh yeah what happened, how old was he?" She didn't say anything but I sensed she was surprised by my lack of somber tone. Why be somber? People die all the time that I don't know any better than Paul Walker.

Do you remember where you were when you found out Paul Walker died?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:he was the passenger, he was not driving, and yes it is idiotic the fawning over him as he probably could have avoided dying by getting the guy to slow down. Something to remember is the dumbasses were on a city street and by the grace of god did not kill someone in another vehicle. Like the moron that passed the truck this morning on my way into work in bad fog on a two lane road....drive like crap, wreck your vehicle but don't do it around me!

Is she, really?

I think they were racing. Especially idiotic considering how close they were to Mohalland Drive, for a real race!
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Sad, but still doesn't atone for all those guns being released on the Mexican streets.

Is she, really?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
RWNJ

Post by RWNJ »

Mulholland Drive and Topanga, where my SIL was run over by an 18yo in a truck running a red light. SIL was on a motorcycle. Hospitalized for nearly 2 years and still suffers from RSD as a result. KId got a ticket for not yielding. Go figure.

[quote="valenciahokie']I think they were racing. Especially idiotic considering how close they were to Mohalland Drive, for a real race![/quote]
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RWNJ wrote:Mulholland Drive and Topanga, where my SIL was run over by an 18yo in a truck running a red light. SIL was on a motorcycle. Hospitalized for nearly 2 years and still suffers from RSD as a result. KId got a ticket for not yielding. Go figure.

[quote="valenciahokie']I think they were racing. Especially idiotic considering how close they were to Mohalland Drive, for a real race!
[/quote][/quote]

That road is nuts as everyone plays daredevil on it. The stretch towards Malibu is full of guys like this, hotdoging their sport cars and taking risks. I gota admit I've raced it too, it's just too tempting to test your skills. And it's thrilling to look over 100 foot cliffs in hairpin turns. I did it in an SUV to boot.