Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Victory in the War for Christmas!

Post by BigDave »

http://washingtonexaminer.com/house-mem ... le/2540175

House members now permitted to say 'merry Christmas' in constituent mail

House members may now say "merry Christmas" and other "incidental holiday greetings" in official mail sent to their constituents, as long as the salutation isn't the sole purpose of the card.

"The Commission on Congressional Mailing Standards (Franking Commission) is pleased to announce that, effective immediately, Members may include incidental holiday greetings in their official constituent communications," House Administration Committee Chairwoman Candice Miller, R-Mich., and ranking Democrat Susan Davis of California said in an email to House colleagues today.

"Prior to the Commission’s adoption of this new commonsense policy, franking regulations prohibited any form of a holiday greeting whatsoever," the email continued. "However, the new policy, which still prohibits Members from sending communications for the sole purpose of expressing a holiday greeting, allows Members to include simple holiday salutations like Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah."

Under the previous policy, House members could only make generic references to the holidays, "along the lines of 'Have a safe and happy holiday season,' " according to a 2011 memo.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Victory in the War for Christmas!

Post by nolanvt »

I thought the War on Christmas was over?
BigDave wrote:http://washingtonexaminer.com/house-mem ... le/2540175

House members now permitted to say 'merry Christmas' in constituent mail

House members may now say "merry Christmas" and other "incidental holiday greetings" in official mail sent to their constituents, as long as the salutation isn't the sole purpose of the card.

"The Commission on Congressional Mailing Standards (Franking Commission) is pleased to announce that, effective immediately, Members may include incidental holiday greetings in their official constituent communications," House Administration Committee Chairwoman Candice Miller, R-Mich., and ranking Democrat Susan Davis of California said in an email to House colleagues today.

"Prior to the Commission’s adoption of this new commonsense policy, franking regulations prohibited any form of a holiday greeting whatsoever," the email continued. "However, the new policy, which still prohibits Members from sending communications for the sole purpose of expressing a holiday greeting, allows Members to include simple holiday salutations like Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah."

Under the previous policy, House members could only make generic references to the holidays, "along the lines of 'Have a safe and happy holiday season,' " according to a 2011 memo.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

If I don't get a Happy Festivus letter I'm going to get pissy. :x :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

nolanvt wrote:I thought the War on Christmas was over?
Not by a long shot.

For example, this year, Woot! (which is owned by Amazon.com) has declared Christmas to be "Crapmas". Can you imagine a publicly traded company (or any company for that matter) declaring Ramadan to be Crapadan or some such thing?
Once

Post by Once »

I'm afraid of what that might look like.... Shiver..... :cry:
Major Kong wrote:If I don't get a Happy Festivus letter I'm going to get pissy. :x :mrgreen:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

BigDave wrote:
Not by a long shot.

For example, this year, Woot! (which is owned by Amazon.com) has declared Christmas to be "Crapmas". Can you imagine a publicly traded company (or any company for that matter) declaring Ramadan to be Crapadan or some such thing?

Woot has been selling Bags of Crap for a long time. They are selling 12 Bags of Crap this year and calling it the 12 Bags of Crapmas.
I'm not sure I would call that a war on Christmas. They're not trying to get rid of Christmas, they're trying to sell more crap.
Once

Post by Once »

Woot is obnoxiously crapping on Christmas; however, they are crapping on secular, commercial Christmas and likely haven't considered or don't care that they are obnoxiously insulting what is a deeply religious holiday for practicing Christians. It's in bad taste and it's rude. Some vocal extremist Muslims would have a serious problem with and would likely retaliate for "Crapadan" where most practicing Christians wouldn't run out and declare a crusade (the rare Timothy Mcveigh type notwithstanding).
HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Not by a long shot.

Woot has been selling Bags of Crap for a long time. They are selling 12 Bags of Crap this year and calling it the 12 Bags of Crapmas.
I'm not sure I would call that a war on Christmas. They're not trying to get rid of Christmas, they're trying to sell more crap.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:Woot has been selling Bags of Crap for a long time. They are selling 12 Bags of Crap this year and calling it the 12 Bags of Crapmas.
War Borg of Crap!!! :mrgreen:

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

McVeigh was not and did not claim to be a Christian. He was born into a Catholic family, but lapsed and self-identified as agnostic. I realize that it's in vogue to brand anyone who does something bad as a Christian, but there's no reality to that claim.

And I would think it would be obvious that replacing "Christ" in Christmas with "crap" would be offensive. I think it's sufficiently obvious as to make it not even worth arguing the point.
Once wrote:Woot is obnoxiously crapping on Christmas; however, they are crapping on secular, commercial Christmas and likely haven't considered or don't care that they are obnoxiously insulting what is a deeply religious holiday for practicing Christians. It's in bad taste and it's rude. Some vocal extremist Muslims would have a serious problem with and would likely retaliate for "Crapadan" where most practicing Christians wouldn't run out and declare a crusade (the rare Timothy Mcveigh type notwithstanding).
HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Not by a long shot.

Once

Post by Once »

I didn't realize he was a self-identified agnostic. My apologies.i should have checked.
I realize that it's in vogue to brand anyone who does something bad as a Christian, but there's no reality to that claim.
I truly hope your above quote is not directed at me personally. I have been extremely respectful of Christianity both here and in my personal life. I have stated here that although it isn't my religion, I think it's a very good example of how to live one's life and that the message is beautiful. I know several posters mock Christianity and those who are atheists tout their atheism with a bashing stick, but I haven't been among them. I make it a point to keep my beliefs to myself, including my Godchildren because they and their parents ARE Christians and it isn't my place to offer religious instruction on what they should believe. I don't know that you meant me, but if so, I wanted to clear that up.

As for knowing its offensive to replace Christ with crap, as I said below, they either haven't considered it or don't care, which is truly rude and disrespectful. You'll get no argument from me.
BigDave wrote:McVeigh was not and did not claim to be a Christian. He was born into a Catholic family, but lapsed and self-identified as agnostic. I realize that it's in vogue to brand anyone who does something bad as a Christian, but there's no reality to that claim.

And I would think it would be obvious that replacing "Christ" in Christmas with "crap" would be offensive. I think it's sufficiently obvious as to make it not even worth arguing the point.
Once wrote:Woot is obnoxiously crapping on Christmas; however, they are crapping on secular, commercial Christmas and likely haven't considered or don't care that they are obnoxiously insulting what is a deeply religious holiday for practicing Christians. It's in bad taste and it's rude. Some vocal extremist Muslims would have a serious problem with and would likely retaliate for "Crapadan" where most practicing Christians wouldn't run out and declare a crusade (the rare Timothy Mcveigh type notwithstanding).
HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Not by a long shot.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

OK, then I'll put it this way. I'm a Christian and am not even remotely offended at woot.com being obnoxious and rude. If I thought they were actually being purposely rude to Christians, I "may" start to be offended. I'm almost 100% sure they're not. Christmas has a huge secular component, and has for a long, long time. If I'm going to happily accept the secular, commercial, non-religious components of what Christmas is today (including things like giving presents, Christmas trees), then I'm not going to be offended at related stupidity.

Here's another thought. There are lots of people, many of the same people that are offended by the "war on Christmas", but who don't see any offense at all in the Confederate battle flag, or using the name redskins. They say that people who are offended at those are just being offended b/c someone told them to be offended, and that they are being overly PC.

Maybe I'm just not that sensitive.

BigDave wrote:McVeigh was not and did not claim to be a Christian. He was born into a Catholic family, but lapsed and self-identified as agnostic. I realize that it's in vogue to brand anyone who does something bad as a Christian, but there's no reality to that claim.

HokieFanDC wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Not by a long shot.

chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

I agree on all points DC. I think the Christian community should keep its eye on the prize, which is Jesus, and actually concern itself with the things Jesus seemed to be concerned with. We can pass our poor and suffering neighbors by and not bat an eye, but lets mobilize by the millions to support some dumb fast food chain after its owner made an ignorant remark.

It's sad that here in America we have incredibly high gun death rates, more of our citizens are in cages than nearly any other people in human history, we spend more money making war than the rest of the planet combined, and despite our tremendous wealth, many of our fellow citizens die because they lack access to things such as healthcare. Yet, so many Christians get offended over dumb stuff like "Crapmas" and the taking down of plaques that probably no one had read in 30 years. God have mercy on us.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

It's good of you to tell Christians what to be concerned with. And what not to be concerned with.

Because Christians are not capable if thinking of more than one thing. So .... allow your religion to be demeaned, derided and diminished. Worry about people (criminals) in prison.

Why not tell atheists to worry about criminals, and leave people of faith alone? I guess atheists can think of two things at once, they're smart, I guess.

chuckd4vt wrote:I agree on all points DC. I think the Christian community should keep its eye on the prize, which is Jesus, and actually concern itself with the things Jesus seemed to be concerned with. We can pass our poor and suffering neighbors by and not bat an eye, but lets mobilize by the millions to support some dumb fast food chain after its owner made an ignorant remark.

It's sad that here in America we have incredibly high gun death rates, more of our citizens are in cages than nearly any other people in human history, we spend more money making war than the rest of the planet combined, and despite our tremendous wealth, many of our fellow citizens die because they lack access to things such as healthcare. Yet, so many Christians get offended over dumb stuff like "Crapmas" and the taking down of plaques that probably no one had read in 30 years. God have mercy on us.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

chuckd4vt wrote:I agree on all points DC. I think the Christian community should keep its eye on the prize, which is Jesus, and actually concern itself with the things Jesus seemed to be concerned with. We can pass our poor and suffering neighbors by and not bat an eye, but lets mobilize by the millions to support some dumb fast food chain after its owner made an ignorant remark.

I'm pretty sure the Christmas spirit is about brawling over a 60" TV at a slight discount.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
chuckd4vt

Post by chuckd4vt »

oaktonhokie wrote:It's good of you to tell Christians what to be concerned with. And what not to be concerned with.

Because Christians are not capable if thinking of more than one thing. So .... allow your religion to be demeaned, derided and diminished. Worry about people (criminals) in prison.

Why not tell atheists to worry about criminals, and leave people of faith alone? I guess atheists can think of two things at once, they're smart, I guess.

Sadly, I think many Christians are hung up on most of the stuff Christ seemed to have little concern with. The more we fight these supposed "battles" over things such as plaques, pledges, Christmas trees, etc... the less we're focused on true Kingdom building. As I said, the issue that has mobilized the Christian community in America the most in recent years was that dumb Chic Fil A mess. Really?

And about "people in prison", Jesus told us to concern ourselves with them.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me" (Matthew 25: 35-40).

And the author of Hebrews wrote, "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body" (Hebrews 13:3).

I have many many friends in prison ministries. Though I've only loosely been involved in them, I've helped to raise money, I do recognize their value. I tend to focus on the justice side of the prison issue. Again, so we won't continue to be one of the most caged peoples in human history.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Do people of faith forfeit their 1st Amendment rights? Is it not okay to shine a light on the hypocrisy of the left? Is standing up for your rights not a good thing for people of faith?

chuckd4vt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:It's good of you to tell Christians what to be concerned with. And what not to be concerned with.

Sadly, I think many Christians are hung up on most of the stuff Christ seemed to have little concern with. The more we fight these supposed "battles" over things such as plaques, pledges, Christmas trees, etc... the less we're focused on true Kingdom building. As I said, the issue that has mobilized the Christian community in America the most in recent years was that dumb Chic Fil A mess. Really?

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me" (Matthew 25: 35-40).

And the author of Hebrews wrote, "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body" (Hebrews 13:3).

I have many many friends in prison ministries. Though I've only loosely been involved in them, I've helped to raise money, I do recognize their value. I tend to focus on the justice side of the prison issue. Again, so we won't continue to be one of the most caged peoples in human history.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

chuckd4vt wrote: Sadly, I think many Christians are hung up on most of the stuff Christ seemed to have little concern with. The more we fight these supposed "battles" over things such as plaques, pledges, Christmas trees, etc... the less we're focused on true Kingdom building. As I said, the issue that has mobilized the Christian community in America the most in recent years was that dumb Chic Fil A mess. Really?

Can you not see how keeping our holidays and beliefs spreads the message? Christmas is a vehicle for discussing the birth of Christ. Do you not see the important impact that has?

And with Chic-Fil-A, the pagans were boycotting them over their religious beliefs. Can you not see how rallying around Christian values shapes the debate? It lets the evil doers know biblical teachings aren't "hate speech".

If your view were to take hold, Christianity would return to midnight teachings in catacombs while the pagans labled us haters, diminishing the number of people hearing the message. I agree that we can be our own worse enemies at time and certainly need to spend more energy correcting our own house. But it's also foolish to give ground to the atheists and other enemies.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

What we need is some anti-bullying legislation on this.
HokieFanDC wrote:OK, then I'll put it this way. I'm a Christian and am not even remotely offended at woot.com being obnoxious and rude. If I thought they were actually being purposely rude to Christians, I "may" start to be offended. I'm almost 100% sure they're not. Christmas has a huge secular component, and has for a long, long time. If I'm going to happily accept the secular, commercial, non-religious components of what Christmas is today (including things like giving presents, Christmas trees), then I'm not going to be offended at related stupidity.

Here's another thought. There are lots of people, many of the same people that are offended by the "war on Christmas", but who don't see any offense at all in the Confederate battle flag, or using the name redskins. They say that people who are offended at those are just being offended b/c someone told them to be offended, and that they are being overly PC.

Maybe I'm just not that sensitive.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I don't think it is a big deal but you have to see how frustrating it could be knowing that these companies don't have the balls to pull off a similar stunt regarding any other religion, or Islam, in the least.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

We don't celebrate any other religious holiday in the way that we do Christmas, so no company would even think of doing it. It's a marketing gimmick. Jews make up about 2-3% of the US population. Muslims make up less than 1%, and that number is somewhat evenly split between Arab Muslims, Black Muslims, and Asian Muslims.
80% of Americans call themselves Christians.
Comparing the way Christmas is treated, in the many ways that it is, both good and bad, to the way Jews and Muslims are treated, is a horrible comparison.

Florida Hokie wrote:I don't think it is a big deal but you have to see how frustrating it could be knowing that these companies don't have the balls to pull off a similar stunt regarding any other religion, or Islam, in the least.

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:We don't celebrate any other religious holiday in the way that we do Christmas, so no company would even think of doing it. It's a marketing gimmick. Jews make up about 2-3% of the US population. Muslims make up less than 1%, and that number is somewhat evenly split between Arab Muslims, Black Muslims, and Asian Muslims.
80% of Americans call themselves Christians.
Comparing the way Christmas is treated, in the many ways that it is, both good and bad, to the way Jews and Muslims are treated, is a horrible comparison.
Yup...plus the 12 days of CrapRamadan or 12 days of CrapRoshHashanah doesn't have that satirical ring to it. :-J

nc87

Post by nc87 »

Who in the name of christ cares? Celebrate what you want and let others do the same. God damn! its not that hard
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

....and if I want to celebrate, by having a manger in the public square, or wish someone a merry Christmas in public, you wouldn't be offended?

God knows the harm a manger scene could have on an impressionable atheist. Or a Muslims.

nc87 wrote:Who in the name of christ cares? Celebrate what you want and let others do the same. God damn! its not that hard
Last edited by oaktonhokie on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

oaktonhokie wrote:....and if I want to celebrate, by having a manger in the public square, or wish someone a merry Christmas in public, you wouldn't be offended?

God knows the harm a manger scene could have on an impressionable atheist. Or a Muslims.

nc87 wrote:Who in the name of christ cares? Celebrate what you want and let others do the same. God damn! its not that hard
Unless you're a government employee and you're on the clock, you're already allowed to do that. I walk by a preaching religious extremist almost every day... and theres usually a crowd responding angrily. Shoving your religion down everyone elses throat does not make them more sympathetic to your cause. Keep your religion to yourself
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

nc87 wrote:Keep your religion to yourself
Why don't you practice what you preach?