Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Finally! Congress is doing something about illegal aliens

Post by BigDave »

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... anel-hears
WASHINGTON, Dec. 5 (UPI) --
The likelihood of life on other planets is "very high," a planetary scientist told a House committee in a hearing some Democrats chided as evading U.S. issues.

"The chance that there's a planet like Earth out there with life on it is very high," Massachusetts Institute of Technology planetary science and physics Professor Sara Seager told the House Science Committee.

"The question is: Is there life near here, in our neighborhood of stars? We think the chances are good," she said, answering a question from Rep. Ralph Hall, R-Texas, who asked: "Do you think there's life out there, and are they studying us? And what do they think about New York City?"

Seager was one of three Ph.D.-credentialed witnesses prominent in a scientific field once considered speculative who testified at a hearing called "Astrobiology: The Search for Biosignatures in Our Solar System and Beyond."

A biosignature is a substance -- such as an element, molecule or even a phenomenon -- that provides scientific evidence of past or present life.

Seager studies gases on distant planets that might indicate life.

The others testifying were NASA astrobiologist Mary Voytek and science historian and astrobiologist Steven J. Dick of the Library of Congress.

Voytek and Dick also answered Hall's question.

"Whether they're looking at New York or some small town in Indiana, the diversity of life here and the way that we live our lives is phenomenal, and I think it goes all the way down from humans to microbes," Voytek said.

Dick said, "I think the guiding principle holds that what's happened here has happened elsewhere in our huge universe," the Washington Post reported.

The 90-minute hearing, called by committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, brought praise and respect from Democrats in the room but partisan mockery from a Democratic campaign committee outside.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which works to elect Democrats to the House, said GOP lawmakers were holding a hearing on "space aliens" rather than tackling issues such as immigration reform or a minimum-wage increase.

"No wonder the American people think this Republican Congress is from another planet -- they're more interested in life in space than Americans' lives," committee spokeswoman Emily Bittner said in a statement.

"Saying this Republican Congress has misplaced priorities is an understatement of galactic proportions," she said.

Seager, whose scientific research has earned her a MacArthur Foundation "genius grant," told lawmakers scientists now had the capacity to make a breakthrough.

"This is the first time in human history we have the technological reach to cross the threshold," she said in remarks quoted by Britain's Guardian newspaper.

The next-generation James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled for launch in 2018, and other advances are changing the search for alien life forms, she told lawmakers.

"If life really is everywhere, we actually have a shot at it," she said.

The Hubble Space Telescope, carried into orbit by a U.S. space shuttle in 1990, recently detected water in the atmospheres of five planets outside the solar system, two published studies reported by NBC News Tuesday indicated.

The testifying scientists appealed to lawmakers for funding, including investment in space telescopes designed to detect biosignatures.

The latest White House budget calls for $17.7 billion for NASA, a slight decrease from 2012.

"I know that funding is tough, but it's the best thing that you can do," said Voytek in remarks quoted by the Guardian.

"You've pretty much indicated [the discovery of] life on other planets is inevitable," Rep. Bill Posey, R-Fla., told the panelists. "It's just a matter of time and funding."
"You've pretty much indicated [the discovery of] life on other planets is inevitable," Rep. Bill Posey, R-Fla., told the panelists. "It's just a matter of time and funding."

Yes. Because you can do anything if you throw enough of other people's money at it.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: Finally! Congress is doing something about illegal aliens

Post by HokieHam »

After long delays…..it’s launched and has deployed its sun shield.

Cool Stuff. Can’t wait to see the first images.
Sunshield Successfully Deploys on NASA’s Next Flagship Telescope
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/suns ... -telescope
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Webb Telescope Shows the Pillars of Creation Like You’ve Never Seen Them Before
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technol ... gntp&cvid=
Attachments
5ABDDDE9-BECA-4D50-9DAF-E09C07E077D5.jpeg
5ABDDDE9-BECA-4D50-9DAF-E09C07E077D5.jpeg (374.46 KiB) Viewed 200 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

[To the OP - wow the original post is 9 years old!]
Expanding the frontiers of science is what government largess is all about, we *ALL* benefit from it. What would we do without Tang fruit drink or microwave ovens (joking but true). That said, why are you so afraid we will one day discover we're not alone in the universe? What beliefs that you hold could possibly be threatened by scientific knowledge?

If your beliefs are threatened by scientific knowledge then your beliefs are suspect. If you're angry that we may learn something universally (see what I did there?) important with the combined fiscal power of a Democratic people then you're just damned selfish and greedy. Pure science *ALWAYS* leads to applied science and new dicoveries that benefit Man and that's what governments are far better at than markets are.

I can just hear you in a discussion of DARPAnet back in the 1960's. "How in the world will all this money spent on gymnasium-sized computers just so eggheads at universities and gubmint can talk to each other benefit me? Isn't the telephone good enough for them?".
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:19 pm [To the OP - wow the original post is 9 years old!]
Expanding the frontiers of science is what government largess is all about, we *ALL* benefit from it. What would we do without Tang fruit drink or microwave ovens (joking but true). That said, why are you so afraid we will one day discover we're not alone in the universe? What beliefs that you hold could possibly be threatened by scientific knowledge?

If your beliefs are threatened by scientific knowledge then your beliefs are suspect. If you're angry that we may learn something universally (see what I did there?) important with the combined fiscal power of a Democratic people then you're just damned selfish and greedy. Pure science *ALWAYS* leads to applied science and new dicoveries that benefit Man and that's what governments are far better at than markets are.

I can just hear you in a discussion of DARPAnet back in the 1960's. "How in the world will all this money spent on gymnasium-sized computers just so eggheads at universities and gubmint can talk to each other benefit me? Isn't the telephone good enough for them?".
mostly right.
But don't underestimate markets. It is a mixed bag we live in. Not binary at all.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:02 pm
dunwithtrump wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:19 pm [To the OP - wow the original post is 9 years old!]

mostly right.
But don't underestimate markets. It is a mixed bag we live in. Not binary at all.
I like that the free market is now getting into space exploration. Hopefully we can start exploiting it for HuWhiteness! Then Recip can condemn it.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

I’ve seen this guy on Discovery’s How The Universe Works……always enjoyed how he explained things.
Black Astrophysicist Targeted for Not Supporting Smears about NASA’s James Webb
Famed physicist Hakeem Oluseyi effectively rebutted claims of “homophobia” against a former NASA administrator, only to find himself the target of attacks…especially from one black feminist activist.
https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/12/ ... ames-webb/

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:02 pm I’ve seen this guy on Discovery’s How The Universe Works……always enjoyed how he explained things.
Famed physicist Hakeem Oluseyi effectively rebutted claims of “homophobia” against a former NASA administrator, only to find himself the target of attacks…especially from one black feminist activist.

Speaking of black physicists:
:lol:
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:40 am
HokieHam wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:02 pm I’ve seen this guy on Discovery’s How The Universe Works……always enjoyed how he explained things.

Speaking of black physicists:
:lol:
:lol: :lol:

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieHam wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:50 am :lol: :lol:
say-what-oh-5b0304.jpg
say-what-oh-5b0304.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 139 times
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

dunwithtrump wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:19 pm If your beliefs are threatened by scientific knowledge then your beliefs are suspect. If you're angry that we may learn something universally (see what I did there?) important with the combined fiscal power of a Democratic people then you're just damned selfish and greedy. Pure science *ALWAYS* leads to applied science and new dicoveries that benefit Man and that's what governments are far better at than markets are.
My beliefs are not threatened by scientific knowledge.

My point (nine years ago) was that it was insane to believe that we could just throw money at it and that throwing money at it will definitely result in us discovering aliens.

Like everyone, I have looked with wonder at the amazing pictures we're getting from the Webb Telescope. God's handiwork is absolutely amazing.

But that changes nothing about my point.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

These New Webb Telescope Images Are ‘Universe Breakers,’ Say Baffled Scientists
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecart ... 0ee80934f5

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

+1
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.